GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Any else have issues with the stock Dp elring being to big when mounting aftermarket? Didn't have one on stock with my 2017 GSW S FWD. It's way too wide to fit the V band clamp over the DP and turbo flange with it installed. Installing my Arm catted DP and the Vband only fits if I mate the turbo to the DP Bare

What I thought I ordered:
1615593191878.png

The elring is pretty thick. Is it just a DP by DP basis if it's needed?

Last edited:

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Follow up stupid question. What does the lower mounting heatshield protect? Using the CTS install instructions and they call out removing it, but I didn't have one. Bought the car used, so a chance it was removed or the 1.8T FWD doesn't come with it.

Pic for reference:
1615594854388.png

I assume it's protecting the drive boot from engine heat? Boot looked good to me, so how urgent would it be to replace this if the 1.8T has one?

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
I assume it's protecting the drive boot from engine heat? Boot looked good to me, so how urgent would it be to replace this if the 1.8T has one?
It's pretty common to take off the heatshield off for a downpipe swap, so there's a very good chance your wagon lived a more exciting life than what you may have originally assumed.

Its probably not a pressing concern, but I would imagine that the heatshield has a role to play in preserving the lifetime health of the drive boot by lowering the intensity of heat cycles it will go through during its life with car. Personally I'm not running it, but I did wrap my downpipe so that's effectively doing its job anyway.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
It's pretty common to take off the heatshield off for a downpipe swap, so there's a very good chance your wagon lived a more exciting life than what you may have originally assumed.

Its probably not a pressing concern, but I would imagine that the heatshield has a role to play in preserving the lifetime health of the drive boot by lowering the intensity of heat cycles it will go through during its life with car. Personally I'm not running it, but I did wrap my downpipe so that's effectively doing its job anyway.
His wagon belonged to the streets! :ROFLMAO:

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Scraped a brick wall trying to get her into a garage... how screwed am I? Feeling like a colossal idiot.
Get ready to cough up a few grand to make it right.

In the mean time, a little polishing compound will at least make it a lot less noticeable.

cb1111

Scraped a brick wall trying to get her into a garage... how screwed am I? Feeling like a colossal idiot.
Step 1 - don't panic. It isn't nearly as bad as it seems
Step 2 - wash the car carefully - decent weather tomorrow - a bit colder than today, but not bad
Step 3 - call the best detailer you can find - PM me if you need a suggestion
Step 4 - if you don't want to do step 3- buy some polishing and rubbing compound
Step 5 - get a big bucket of soapy warm water and a handful of microfiber rags
Step 6 - use a wet rag and carefully slather on some rubbing compound. Using no pressure wipe in the direction of the scratch - rinse - lather repeat. Your goal is to get minimal improvements each time.
Step 7 - after you have most of the crud off, switch to polishing compound. Again, minimal pressure, wash a lot
Step 8 - take more pictures and post back here

The above should take you a couple of hours. Don't rush and don't try to take too much off at one time.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
Has anyone here used US Wheel Adapters before?

They make custom spacers, among other things. To run the wheels I bought I need a 57.1 to 66.56 hub ring and then a 5 or 6mm spacer to be "flush" in the front. Stacking those on the front makes me nervous so I was going to have US Wheel make a hubcentric spacer for me. A pair would be $160ish but the peace of mind invaluable. Just wanted to see if anyone has tried them out and if they are legit.

I have 10mm spacers with a lip that I can move to the back. I feel better about running a hub ring on that spacer since it'll have full contact with the lip on the spacer (front 5mm spacer would be flat / no lip, hence looking at the custom option)
Yes, I used them on my Mini Cooper. They completely solved the shimmy issue I had at highway speed with the crappy tirerack supplied plastic hub rings. Never use plastic hub rings

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Did you guys click the thumbnails 😂😂😂

I’ve done a fair about of cutting buffing even wet sanded my entire 1970 camaro to remove the peel...

This is not something that you can “buff” out... the paint is gone, even the primer/filler is gouged into, you can even see bare metal on body after the door.

Unfortunately as said above you’re gonna have to prepare yourself to pay for that door and quarter to get sanded filled, primed and painted and blended.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Did you guys click the thumbnails 😂😂😂

I’ve done a fair about of cutting buffing even wet sanded my entire 1970 camaro to remove the peel...

This is not something that you can “buff” out... the paint is gone, even the primer/filler is gouged into, you can even see bare metal on body after the door.

Unfortunately as said above you’re gonna have to prepare yourself to pay for that door and quarter to get sanded filled, primed and painted and blended.
Kinda what I was thinking too. But I know nothing of body work