GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I've driven over 3 million miles and I occasionally brake with my left foot so obviously I'm not a new driver. I don't know why you would consider that dangerous. If my left foot is ready to hit the brake pedal my reaction time is quicker than yours because you have to take your right foot off the accelerator and then brake.
So you hover the brake pedal with your left foot, instead of resting it on the shelf? That's weird.... And uncomfortable. And how would that be faster unless you did hover over the brake?

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I've driven over 3 million miles and I occasionally brake with my left foot so obviously I'm not a new driver. I don't know why you would consider that dangerous. If my left foot is ready to hit the brake pedal my reaction time is quicker than yours because you have to take your right foot off the accelerator and then brake.

But you’re not doing that every single time, so you must really trust your muscle memory. I’d suggest that it’s dangerous because most people aren’t even averagely coordinated. I’ve been rear ended multiple times by people who lurched ahead and hit me while stopped at a light. And 2 of them admitted to driving with 2 feet!

I get it on the track, when you’re focused on driving a certain way. But on the street...?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
So you hover the brake pedal with your left foot, instead of resting it on the shelf? That's weird.... And uncomfortable. And how would that be faster unless you did hover over the brake?

Depends on the situation but for an example if you're racing someone where there's lots of curves and braking I can get on and off the gas and brake much faster that way.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
They purposely put the brake close to the throttle so you can hit it easily with your right foot on a pivot. I know its used in autox and rally driving, and for brake boosting in a race, but everyday driving? no thanks.

Last edited:

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Depends on the situation but for an example if you're racing someone where there's lots of curves and braking I can get on and off the gas and brake much faster that way.
Ahhh...so you're talking about racing/tracking and not DD. Gotcha

stewartdallas

Stupid Question from me - I am thinking about getting the GTI but no real inclination or any clue to be honest on "mods or "adaptions" etc

I just like the look of the car and like the way it drives.

Is there something wrong with me and am I going to miss out in some fashion?

Thoughts?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Stupid Question from me - I am thinking about getting the GTI but no real inclination or any clue to be honest on "mods or "adaptions" etc

Thoughts?
Not at all. I liked the GTI just the way it was too. I could have left it like it was and been fine, but I suffer from 33 years of a disease called "modding VWs". Tried all types of cures.. . None worked [emoji6]

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid

Thoughts?

If you are buying a new one or certified preowned and enjoy the way it drives stock you might as well keep the warranty intact as long as you can, a lot of mods will void portions of it. Owners on forums like this do mods because it is a fairly easy and inexpensive way to boost performance and/or to make their car more unique.

stewartdallas

thanks, I am just not that familiar with all this mod stuff

Is there something in particular about VW and the GTI that make it appealing for mods? Jsut the inherent high performance nature of the car I suppose?

Told you i am clueless on this subject. Coming from a honda civic then a toyota camry solara then a prius - no clue!

cinderbike

Ready to race!
VCDS/OBD11 questions:

- Can I make it so I can use all headunit controls/apps/etc. when the car is in motion?
- Can I enable the subwoofer control in sound? Will it work without Fender audio (I have the Helix)?
- Can I completely turn off Carnet? Don't subscribe and that red light drives me nuts, as does hitting the buttons on accident.

I just want to know if I can do these things at all before forking out $ for either solution.

stewartdallas

MY STUPID QUESTION number 2:

I think I want a GTI but I am thinking that I might settle for a straight golf. I also want a manual

I drove a GTI manaul and liked it a lot, but not had a chance to drive Golf Manual, which is too bad. I did find the auto Golf a little underpowered, but thinking that the manual might help for some reason...

Is the "regular" golf just not nearly as good to drive as the GTI?

I do find the regular golf just a tad plain looking. also I love the plaid seats. so being pushed to a GTI. But maybe a regular Golf is just fine? It does have quite a bit better MPG which is a big deal for me. Are there any other pro's i wonder?

Any thoughts on regular golf / GTI ?

Thanks so much for any advice from people that now - all of you! - , new to VW but close to pulling the trigger (crazy stall stuff not withstanding)

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
MY STUPID QUESTION number 2:

I think I want a GTI but I am thinking that I might settle for a straight golf. I also want a manual

I drove a GTI manaul and liked it a lot, but not had a chance to drive Golf Manual, which is too bad. I did find the auto Golf a little underpowered, but thinking that the manual might help for some reason...

Is the "regular" golf just not nearly as good to drive as the GTI?

I do find the regular golf just a tad plain looking. also I love the plaid seats. so being pushed to a GTI. But maybe a regular Golf is just fine? It does have quite a bit better MPG which is a big deal for me. Are there any other pro's i wonder?

Any thoughts on regular golf / GTI ?

Thanks so much for any advice from people that now - all of you! - , new to VW but close to pulling the trigger (crazy stall stuff not withstanding)
The 2019 Golf only has a 1.4 turbo engine whereas 2015-2018 have a 1.8t. Some reviews claim 0-60 it doesn't make much difference but the engine sounds a lot worse and supposedly struggles at higher speed acceleration like when merging onto a highway. The Golf has a softer suspension which some people actually prefer. You can make a Golf look a lot sportier like a GTI with a few cosmetic mods (larger wheels help a lot).

As for why they are so popular for modding, a simple computer flash on both the GTI and 1.8T Golf yields a massive increase in HP and Torque and there are many companies that specialize in these tunes.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
thanks, I am just not that familiar with all this mod stuff

Is there something in particular about VW and the GTI that make it appealing for mods? Jsut the inherent high performance nature of the car I suppose?

Told you i am clueless on this subject. Coming from a honda civic then a toyota camry solara then a prius - no clue!

It is neutered from the factory.

Hotfart

Ready to race!
VCDS/OBD11 questions:

- Can I make it so I can use all headunit controls/apps/etc. when the car is in motion?
- Can I enable the subwoofer control in sound? Will it work without Fender audio (I have the Helix)?
- Can I completely turn off Carnet? Don't subscribe and that red light drives me nuts, as does hitting the buttons on accident.

I just want to know if I can do these things at all before forking out $ for either solution.

A) See below, it's one of the longer coding jobs but worth it. ***EDIT*** Just realized you have an '18. Not sure if the coding changed from my '17, but it's worth a shot.

B) Helix has a gain knob kind of hidden on the amp. I'm not aware of being able to enable control via the head unit (just the normal 3-band EQ). Search the Infotainment/Electronics forum in the Helix posts, that's where I found out about it.

C) Apparently yes, but requires major surgery, not worth it IMO...

Change settings while at speed:

1. From VCDS, select Controller Module 5F-Information Electr.,

2. Enter Security Login code = 20103

3. Under Adaptions, Query for the channels listed below and set the value = NON_BLOCKED (Blocked means, settings not available in motion), for each of them.

IDE11502-ENG127601-Locked menu contents-FB_CAR_0
IDE11502-ENG127612-Locked menu contents-FB_CAR_11
IDE11502-ENG127613-Locked menu contents-FB_CAR_12
IDE11502-ENG127603-Locked menu contents-FB_CAR_2
IDE11502-ENG127604-Locked menu contents-FB_CAR_3
IDE11502-ENG127608-Locked menu contents-FB_CAR_7
IDE11502-ENG127522-Locked menu contents-FB_MEDIA_1
IDE11502-ENG127531-Locked menu contents-FB_MEDIA_10
IDE11502-ENG127532-Locked menu contents-FB_MEDIA_11
IDE11502-ENG127533-Locked menu contents-FB_MEDIA_12
IDE11502-ENG127534-Locked menu contents-FB_MEDIA_13
IDE11502-ENG127536-Locked menu contents-FB_MEDIA_15