GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
thanks, I am just not that familiar with all this mod stuff

Is there something in particular about VW and the GTI that make it appealing for mods? Jsut the inherent high performance nature of the car I suppose?

Told you i am clueless on this subject. Coming from a honda civic then a toyota camry solara then a prius - no clue!

The inherent nature and the availability of aftermarket parts to customize it and make it faster. Plus other manufacturers have discontinued small cars like the Ford Focus so people who like to modify their car have fewer options now.

skinjob

Random question: it may be my imagination but has the SatNav lady started to refer to distances in metres, and until very recently did she still talk of yards?

robmarktoo

Ready to race!
VCDS/OBD11 questions:

- Can I make it so I can use all headunit controls/apps/etc. when the car is in motion?
- Can I enable the subwoofer control in sound? Will it work without Fender audio (I have the Helix)?
- Can I completely turn off Carnet? Don't subscribe and that red light drives me nuts, as does hitting the buttons on accident.

I just want to know if I can do these things at all before forking out $ for either solution.

Don't know
Don't know

Interesting, I don't subscribe either but mine doesn't light up.. How are you hitting those buttons by accident? They aren't near anything else that you'd use if you weren't using carnet.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Random question: it may be my imagination but has the SatNav lady started to refer to distances in metres, and until very recently did she still talk of yards?

If it’s saying metres then it must be set to km somewhere in the menus!

stewartdallas

Random question. My current car (Prius) very much has a sweet spot of highway driving speed where the MPG is maximised. About 60-65 MPH. Of course I like to go faster sometimes, but if so the MPG drops a lot.

Is there a "sweet spot" for the GTI? Of course I'm sure all cars have a drop off, just wondering if any quirks to GTI. Thanks!

Uggers

Passed Driver's Ed
Currently I can hear a rattle from the back passenger side,

I don't seem to find any exact way to set it off, I've used some WD40 PTE lube in the door seals bit it didn't see to stop it.

Is there anything obvious that it could be?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Currently I can hear a rattle from the back passenger side,

I don't seem to find any exact way to set it off, I've used some WD40 PTE lube in the door seals bit it didn't see to stop it.

Is there anything obvious that it could be?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Are you sure its the back? The front passenger seat has an electrical connector on the bottom that rattles pretty badly. Is it a rattle or a squeaking sound? The rear suspension creaks sometimes when its warm out on mine

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Random question. My current car (Prius) very much has a sweet spot of highway driving speed where the MPG is maximised. About 60-65 MPH. Of course I like to go faster sometimes, but if so the MPG drops a lot.

Is there a "sweet spot" for the GTI? Of course I'm sure all cars have a drop off, just wondering if any quirks to GTI. Thanks!

That mph is a sweet spot for the GTI too.

stewartdallas

R QUESTION - does anyone know rough date when 2019 GTI will be replaced in dealers by 2020 GTI?

How long left on the 2019 run?

And do VW typically make "alterations" in a year run? During that time

Cough cough -stalling issue?

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
thanks, I am just not that familiar with all this mod stuff

Is there something in particular about VW and the GTI that make it appealing for mods? Jsut the inherent high performance nature of the car I suppose?

Told you i am clueless on this subject. Coming from a honda civic then a toyota camry solara then a prius - no clue!

Yes, there IS something particular about VWs and the GTI in specific that make it appealing for mods.

The MK7 GTI can be had for ~25K in base model configuration, and one can throw 10K at it and have a car that will run with 60, 70, 80K cars on a track.

And you can still drive it to work and back without being too worried about it, since it's just another hatchback. and it gets good gas mileage to boot.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
MY STUPID QUESTION number 2:

I think I want a GTI but I am thinking that I might settle for a straight golf. I also want a manual

I drove a GTI manaul and liked it a lot, but not had a chance to drive Golf Manual, which is too bad. I did find the auto Golf a little underpowered, but thinking that the manual might help for some reason...

Is the "regular" golf just not nearly as good to drive as the GTI?

I do find the regular golf just a tad plain looking. also I love the plaid seats. so being pushed to a GTI. But maybe a regular Golf is just fine? It does have quite a bit better MPG which is a big deal for me. Are there any other pro's i wonder?

Any thoughts on regular golf / GTI ?

Thanks so much for any advice from people that now - all of you! - , new to VW but close to pulling the trigger (crazy stall stuff not withstanding)

GTIs get better gas mileage than advertised. especially if you get a manual. My manual MK7 GTI got 35+ MPG on the highway, and 25-28 around town. pretty good for a car with 215 WHP and 260 WTQ

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT

The sweet spot you're referring to is roughly the same on nearly all vehicles, the differences being gear ratios an aerodynamics of vehicle.

but rule of thumb, after 60mph is where wind resistance really starts to negatively affect highway gas mileage.

My GTI gets 36-38 mpg going 60mph in Cruise Control. It gets 34-36 going 65. It gets 31-33 going 70. 30-31 going 75. 80+ it starts going downnnnnnnn. 80 is 28mpg MAX.

stewartdallas

Thanks so much for all the responses. This is so superhelpful.

Having a heck of a time looking at all different options moving on from my 2010 Prius. This board is a great resource!

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
fuelly.com is a good place to compare mpgs. I am amazed at what the GTI gets...the do it all of this car rocks.

last wknd 6 18" tires a spare and a few misc items all fit in it. Gotta dig the cargo of a thoughtful hatchback.