GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 GTI OEM Intake Modification

EShadowbrook

Passed Driver's Ed
Nope. I do not drag race a torque heavy front drive car from a dig on street tires. Dumb idea. Once moving past 20 mph I get plenty of air. You know the air is getting compressed at the turbo right? Next...

Dude! You're sucking in hot / turbulent air from the engine bay. Plus, no benefit of the air being rammed directly into the intake system. Next...

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Haha I took no offense to your comment. If you're referring to the blue crayon that I used, then yes, I used a crayon to outline the stock one, so I could make the same design on the other side. Learned that skill back in 2nd grade haha!

Yes, it looks kind of messy at the moment because I don't have a file to file down the edges, but i will be doing that. The thing good about it though is that not only does it work, but the side i cut is is perfectly parallel to the other OEM cut outs, as far as dimensions are concerned. It will look completely OEM when I'm finished with it. I just had time today to post this, so I hurried up and did, before life got busy again. I wonder why there wouldn't be any ventilated holes in your TDI?? I know its diesel, but its also turbo'd. Is your stock intake the same design as my GTI? Are you MK7 model?

Own a router?

Travis9935

Ready to race!
Because short ram intakes are a better idea? I'd say this method with a K&N drop in is just as effective whp wise as a $500 closed system.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

tknj99

Ready to race!
I like the idea of this mod from the OP but am not ready to hack up my new ride (just yet). From those who have just removed the plastic piece altogether, other than the comments about sucking in hot air, have you felt any discernible difference in throttle response or overall power?

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Does anyone know if modifying the stock air box will affect emissions, rendering it unable to pass (visual and emissions) testing for us clean air states? I would assume it would.

If you do it like posted in the OP i don't know that any tester will be able to even distinguish that something has been altered.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Not sure why it would matter with emissions

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Here in the Golden State, aftermarket intake, exhaust, and performance systems have to pass what is called CARB testing- California Air Resource Board. It is a selling point for some intakes (Neuspeed), and is also why JB4 is not able to be sold in CA(where the company is)((I think)). We have soooo many laws here, and if you have parts like downpipe, tune, etc., sometimes you have to take everything back to stock, or just pay someone off to pass emissions ("smog") testing. That's why I'm wondering is this might have an effect, and if anyone in CA has done it, and passed their smog check.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Yea, I feel like VW engineers did this for a reason. :)

Yes, I'm always amazed at how someone with a Dremel believes he's onto some secret of power that the German engineers hid.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
I like the idea of this mod from the OP but am not ready to hack up my new ride (just yet). From those who have just removed the plastic piece altogether, other than the comments about sucking in hot air, have you felt any discernible difference in throttle response or overall power?

Yes, better throttle response and pulls stronger above 5k rpms. :).

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Here in the Golden State, aftermarket intake, exhaust, and performance systems have to pass what is called CARB testing- California Air Resource Board. It is a selling point for some intakes (Neuspeed), and is also why JB4 is not able to be sold in CA(where the company is)((I think)). We have soooo many laws here, and if you have parts like downpipe, tune, etc., sometimes you have to take everything back to stock, or just pay someone off to pass emissions ("smog") testing. That's why I'm wondering is this might have an effect, and if anyone in CA has done it, and passed their smog check.

Do they even use tailpipe sniffers anymore? I thought every state did a readiness test. Even if they do sniff, it's only at idle, right? So it won't make any difference. That's why they do a visual. I see CA renewed cap and trade. How does anyone stand it there, unless you're earning $200K per year in the computer industry. Ah, Florida - no state taxes or inspections.