GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 GTI OEM Intake Modification

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I wish the engineers could show us why they did what they did, and didn't do what they didn't do.
I suspect there's a lot more to their decisions than we think.
It's easy to eyeball the intake and think "this would flow better and make more power if I opened this up."

Agree with this 100%. I miss the intake noises from my MKV open intake, but with Georgia heat being an issue, I have stuck with the stock, closed system (minus the snow guard in the bottom of the box). I wish it was louder, but I'm trusting the engineers on this one. Maybe the right combo of piping or something can get the volume I'm looking for.

Blueballs

Go Kart Newbie
I tried that way before I did it the way I did. That way worked ok, but there was too much air around that area that could escape, so I went the new way I did. I picked up a significant amount of throttle response doing it the new way I did. Its also nice being able to use the entire intake duct, so it looks 100% factory.

Blueballs

Go Kart Newbie
I haven't used an aftermarket closed intake system, because i don't want to spend the $$, but I would assume that this mod does exactly the same thing, if used with the K&N air filter replacement. Maybe the aftermarket closed systems get a little more air flow, but nothing noticeable, especially for $400+.

Blueballs

Go Kart Newbie
I did it that way originally, and yes, there was a noticeable improvement when the pastic piece was removed. If I were you, I would get the K&N air filter, remove the plastic piece, and call it good until you're ready to cut the pieces out.

Blueballs

Go Kart Newbie
I'm not sure if it would affect emissions, but if it does, you can always keep the pieces that you cut out, and reattach them back on when having to do an emissions test. I kept mine just in case I ever needed to reattach them.

Blueballs

Go Kart Newbie
The reason why the opposite grill vent (drivers side) was never cut from the factory, is because that same side was blocked off in the intake part, so there was no need for the grill vent to be cut. The intake part was blocked off most likely so water and debris doesn't get sucked into the intake. I'm aware of that, so that's why I kept the pieces I cut out for when the winter comes around.
There's a lot of reasons why cars from the factory are de-tuned, but the main reason in the USA is because of emissions. So just because a car came a certain way from the factory, doesn't mean the car doesn't have more potential, while still retaining reliability.

thaseint

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI SE 6MT
I wish the engineers could show us why they did what they did, and didn't do what they didn't do.
I suspect there's a lot more to their decisions than we think.
It's easy to eyeball the intake and think "this would flow better and make more power if I opened this up."

Yeah, there's certainly a lot involved with their decisions and they have to work within the constraints set by the number crunchers, markets, buyer demographics, regulations, etc. It'd be nice to have more technical information or at least some justifications of decisions; but I suspect most of that's protected by IP and NDAs. So unless someone is willing to spend the time and money testing various configurations we'll never really know what, if any actual gains can be made on the stock airbox.

The only thing we know for sure based on physics is more cool unrestricted air = more power. So it's safety to assume cutting open these plates, removing the snow grill and adding a drop-in filter do "something"...how much "something" though is unknown. In theory it seems that any changes would be positive but likely very minimal. So minimal that the engineers felt that any gains made may not be worth the sacrifice in those other areas. What we're left with is a middle of the road airbox that provides a decent amount of cool air safely and reliably.

Blueballs

Go Kart Newbie
I agree, but take my word for it that there is much better throttle response doing this mod. I would've loved to do test and numbers for everyone, but I neither have the tools or the time to do that. If you want to go and spend $400+ on an aftermarket closed intake, be my guest, but I guarantee that it wouldn't be much different than this mod.

Blueballs

Go Kart Newbie
I'm also going to be upgrading my intercooler. Can't wait for that. Can't stand the difference in power and acceleration when the car is in coldtemps compared to when its in hot temps.

Gro Harlem

Ready to race!
So far its hard to tell if it helped with power or IAT's but when under full throttle it does sound throatier than it did before.

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
Yeah, there's certainly a lot involved with their decisions and they have to work within the constraints set by the number crunchers, markets, buyer demographics, regulations, etc. It'd be nice to have more technical information or at least some justifications of decisions; but I suspect most of that's protected by IP and NDAs. So unless someone is willing to spend the time and money testing various configurations we'll never really know what, if any actual gains can be made on the stock airbox.

The only thing we know for sure based on physics is more cool unrestricted air = more power. So it's safety to assume cutting open these plates, removing the snow grill and adding a drop-in filter do "something"...how much "something" though is unknown. In theory it seems that any changes would be positive but likely very minimal. So minimal that the engineers felt that any gains made may not be worth the sacrifice in those other areas. What we're left with is a middle of the road airbox that provides a decent amount of cool air safely and reliably.
I've done the snow guard removal, drop-in, and inlet. I do wonder if the stock box just wasn't designed to flow at much higher rates... speculating. What I mean is, when the flow rate increases substantially, would it magnify unintended turbulence in the design that possibly was discovered during R&D but was a non-issue to satisfy pressure levels for lower power targets? I mean, the stock box is box shaped after all.