GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 GTI Catch Can Options

greatoz

Ready to race!
Good price. Dip stick and easy drain. Hose quality looks good enough. This is the one I'm ordering.

that's the BFI unit, not sure about a.) the insulation surrounding the hose as it passes over / near to the turbo and b.) this.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Are they all the same? What's to keep me from getting a <$50 one off eBay and figuring out a way to mount it myself? Just seems like two tubes going in a can to me. Pardon my ignorance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
I posted this over on Vortex too, but I'm at 2,000+ miles now with my catch can and haven't got a drop of oil out of it yet. Its hooked up right and I can see some oil residue on the inside of the inlet hose and none on the outlet hose... but I think the OE PCV unit is doing a really good job at separating the oil by itself. I'm not the only one, a few other guys have chimed in too with other cans and most are seeing the same results. The only guy that had something in his can was in northern Canada where it was cold and his can was filled with 95% water/condensation. I'll wait to see what the winter brings and report back later.

Are they all the same? What's to keep me from getting a <$50 one off eBay and figuring out a way to mount it myself? Just seems like two tubes going in a can to me. Pardon my ignorance

I have used these Chinese cans before on budget builds and they work fine. I find my MK7 to be such a new and nice car that it was worth the extra coin for a quality unit.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
I have used these Chinese cans before on budget builds and they work fine. I find my MK7 to be such a new and nice car that it was worth the extra coin for a quality unit.

Makes sense. The ones they officially make for the Mk7, such as CTS, look great. I think I would do it if I had all my other mods and didn't really have anything else to spend my money on. lol

greatoz

Ready to race!
I posted this over on Vortex too, but I'm at 2,000+ miles now with my catch can and haven't got a drop of oil out of it yet. Its hooked up right and I can see some oil residue on the inside of the inlet hose and none on the outlet hose... but I think the OE PCV unit is doing a really good job at separating the oil by itself.

I agree honestly. I have the tiniest bit oil making it past the PCV (only noticeable when I stuffed a paper towel into the turbo side of the intake hose to prevent anything from dropping in) and honestly I'm good with that.

Think I'll hang back and wait - if we see folks with condensation in their catch cans in the winter then honestly skipping one is another headache / maintenance / thing I need to remember to check gone and not worth it...

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
I have built my own catch cans for several cars over the years starting out with a cheap ebay/amazon catch can and installing baffle/tube on the inside. They work just as well and cost less than $50 to do yourself. I will probably be doing my build sometime at the start of next year and will put up a DIY in case anyone is interested in saving a few hundred.

LeGti

Ready to race!
Hmmm: interesting that the cans were fairly dry. I removed the boost sensor mounted on the intake manifold and found it fairly oily (12,000 miles). Made me think I should get a can asap...

Which catch-can does the best job of keeping oil out of the intake? IE's? APR's?

Wideopentuning

Ready to race!
I have a MK7 1.8t engine and MK7 2.0t engine in my garage that both have under 2000 miles. There is already a noticeable amount of carbon buildup on the intake valves of both. I will be going with an APR can on my Sportwagen. When I figure out a decent mounting solution while keeping the factory airbox, I'll post some pics.

greatoz

Ready to race!
Sorry to bring my old thread back from the dead - but I made a choice here and went with the VWR option from Deutsche Auto Parts - mostly because it advertised a couple of things that I'll get to as this unfolds...

So I opened the box tonight and immediately notice two things:

1 - There are no instructions included. For $599 drop-shipped from VWR you'd think they'd gin together a shitty ink-jet instruction manual with terrible black and white pictu...wait. No, for 600 hundred bones I want a fucking three ring binder with pretty pictures and glossy page protectors like a real aftermarket company like Ohlins or Edelbrock does.

2 - According to VWR "Many Catch Cans on the market are just an empty container with 2 ports. The VWR system features a four way baffle system inside the tank to ensure superior separation of oil and condensation."

Anyone want to have a crack at what that means? I mean BEFORE I spill the beans.

more to come as this unfolds...

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Lol guess on the 4 way baffles? Let's see... Steel wool, some metal plates... And more steel wool? Lol

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
I have a MK7 1.8t engine and MK7 2.0t engine in my garage that both have under 2000 miles. There is already a noticeable amount of carbon buildup on the intake valves of both. I will be going with an APR can on my Sportwagen. When I figure out a decent mounting solution while keeping the factory airbox, I'll post some pics.
So you removed the intake on both your cars with only 2k on them? Is it an easy job?

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
So you removed the intake on both your cars with only 2k on them? Is it an easy job?

It's not the easiest, but not hard to remove it. I bought a cheap borescope that hooks up to my phone so I can check it out easily without removing it.. at least that's the theory and what I'm hoping lol

heftysmurf

Ready to race!
Chambers and steel wool as others have stated. Not alot of magic behind a catch can.