GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I have a GTI running a CTS catted downpiped to a Vibrant 17950 mated to a Rev9/Beluga 3" exhaust. Overall I'm happy with the system it's very nice sounding, just hoping to get rid of some of the drone with longer exhaust tips.

While tips adjusted out further and removing the thin heat shielding below that hatch may help, you may need to add/replace a muffler with something better. Borla XS Pro is a popular choice.

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
While tips adjusted out further and removing the thin heat shielding below that hatch may help, you may need to add/replace a muffler with something better. Borla XS Pro is a popular choice.
When I install the new tips I will address the heatshield, probably figure out how to dampen it and also spray some rubber coating under the wheel well area. I also noticed that the parcel shelf is really flimsy and resonates like crazy when touched, I wonder if that is also contributing to the drone.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
When I install the new tips I will address the heatshield, probably figure out how to dampen it and also spray some rubber coating under the wheel well area. I also noticed that the parcel shelf is really flimsy and resonates like crazy when touched, I wonder if that is also contributing to the drone.

I wouldn’t do anything like that. The heat shield is removable, if you go spraying stuff on there not only is it permanent but it’ll also effect resale. It’ll absolutely chip off and look bad with the lack of prep you’d be able to do given the factory coatings you’d not want to remove first.

Your car, do what you want but if I was a potential buyer and saw that I’d hard pass.

If you really wanna make a difference DIY at home buy sound insulation and go nuts under the hatch, rear seat, behind panels ect. Nothing sketchy about that, and also reversible should anyone choose to do so.

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
Do you think it would be better to get a single 3" borla muffler and install it inline or replace the 2 mufflers in the back with dual 60mm borlas?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
In my experience the more tubing that you have after the muffler the more refined the sound is. Single XS Pro next the the fuel tank is the ticket.
17815167-BAEE-4A50-BC2F-10BC9D12801B.jpeg

Ja_mill

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 6MT GTI
So I installed my baun dp and midpipe this weekend and had a bit of a struggle lol. I have a 2018 gti and i purchased a used dp for a 2019 model which has a smaller outlet on the end of the midpipe to fit that year's stock muffler.
I had the end of my midpipe expanded but they didnt have a way to measure the size to get 2.5" exactly and it ended up being a little smaller than it should be.

As it is right now, the outlet of my midpipe is nested inside of my muffler and held with a clamp. I test drove it twice with that setup and both times the midpipe popped out of the muffler during acceleration. One was WOT and the other time was a mild acceleration. The midpipe was completely free and the muffler was hanging down with the clamp still attached to it.
I torqued the clamps down with a pneumatic impact so it was pretty tight.

Currently the assembly is held together with the same setup plus some heavy duty epoxy holding the clamp to the pipes. No epoxy inside of either pipe.

It's holding together and has for about 120 miles, but I believe I have an exhaust leak or some other problem. At low rpm everything feels and sounds great but around 3k and higher it rattles quite a bit and I dont think I'm holding boost pressure steadily. I never really monitored it before (I have a Cobb AP to monitor) but currently I'll have around 5-9 psi during acceleration even if I'm pushing it. It can get up to low 20's but it doesnt hold high psi for any significant length of time.

Could it just be that configuration of the midpipe to stock muffler causing the issues? I'm planning to work on it some more on my next day off work.
Probably going to cut the stock muffler back a little more so the pipes have more room to butt against each other rather than nesting inside. Might have to take it back to the shop that did the original expanding and try to get it right this time...

Any ideas?
Just an update to my situation for anyone interested.

I took it to the exhaust shop today after a week of dealing with a sinus infection that knocked me on my ass lol. They expanded the end of my midpipe a little more and welded it to my stock catback.
I also had an exhaust leak where the dp and turbo mate. My dp came with the ends of the exhaust hanger bracket nubs (not sure what they're called) removed so it fits a little strangely into the hanger bracket, which I think caused the seal to have a gap on the bottom end.
My roommate got under the car and rotated the dp while I checked the fitment of that seal and we got it mated nice and clamped back down properly.

Everything is working great now. Went on a short test drive and did a few pulls and it feels much better. Next step is to upgrade from the Cobb OTS stage 2 tune to something like EQT's tune.

Also didnt notice any drone on my test drive but it was fairly short and I wasnt doing much cruising lmao

Bievahh

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf R
Which exhaust set up do you have? Do you also have an R? I think a 17950 will fit fine as well but wanted to be sure so went with the slightly smaller diameter rez but same length overall. So far pretty happy with the results. Hopefully the longer exhaust tips will take care of your drone. Mine are just about an inch out from the edge of the lower cutouts.
17950 will fit but you are risking it, it's pretty damn low to the ground. Local exhaust guy didn't think I should risk it so def gonna pick up a 1795 and give it a try. I have a V1 switchpath and a 3.5 true DP so it's pretty droney.

Rare Ara S3

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi S3, GTI
My car is lowered and I have the 17950 and disagree that it’s too low. Unless the shop is clueless or your car is really slammed.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
My car is lowered and I have the 17950 and disagree that it’s too low. Unless the shop is clueless or your car is really slammed.
6B59B022-FA41-465F-B21B-4F0DF9CE5C50.jpeg
DFCD1845-46AB-4B6F-8A26-4BF17B565623.jpeg

Agreed, no reason to live with drone as the 17950 only hangs 1.5” below the rest of the car.

I finally have a golf R coming for development and it’ll have a 4” DP, 3.5” Midpipe with the larger version of the 17950 to match.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Agreed, no reason to live with drone as the 17950 only hangs 1.5” below the rest of the car.

I finally have a golf R coming for development and it’ll have a 4” DP, 3.5” Midpipe with the larger version of the 17950 to match.
Ive been running the 17950 on my R fir a while now. Even being on PSS10s approx 1/2” lower from stock ride height I’ve had no issues. Pic of where mine sits is earlier on in this thread.

Really looking forward to what you come up with for the R. can’t believe it took this long for someone to get you a car!

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Ive been running the 17950 on my R fir a while now. Even being on PSS10s approx 1/2” lower from stock ride height I’ve had no issues. Pic of where mine sits is earlier on in this thread.

Really looking forward to what you come up with for the R. can’t believe it took this long for someone to get you a car!

More than that I can’t believe the cars getting dropped off from 12 hours away in Illinois.

I just received the first couple boxes of materials today for it, I’m excited to get started.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
So you don't need to modify the dp to fit it anymore? Or was that just to make it fit with no hang

I won’t be offering just a downpipe, as there’s no way to fit a 17950 with the factory routing.

-Downpipe & Midpipe (replacement for everything till after the OEM resonator)

-Full TBE

It’ll be modular so you can start with DP/MP and add the rest of the TBE later.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
View attachment 247416View attachment 247417

I know the downpipes from the r to the gti are different but what exactly. Looking at pictures it looks like just the midpipe but idk

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I know the downpipes from the r to the gti are different but what exactly. Looking at pictures it looks like just the midpipe but idk

Upper and Lower downpipe. Midpipe is the first section of the CBE (where the resonator lives). For AWE cars the downpipe hugs far right to clear the prop shaft, while GTI generally run right down the middle since that’s where the CBE is.

Some companies use the same upper DP piece for both FWD & AWD and make different lower DP to accommodate each, but since my current V2 3” GESI Gen2 400 cell DP was developed on a GTI it’s nowhere near fitting a R. The new 4” AWD GESI DP will be developed on a R, so eventually I’ll be adding a GTI option as well (different lower piece).