GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

doctorGolfR

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK VII Golf R
It will do both… but a perfect scaled j pipe will be the ticket for killing a specific frequency without lowering the output of other frequencies.
Any recommendations on length for these cars to get rid of that infamous 2500-4000 RPM drone range. I keep attempting calculations but it’s confusing/seemingly all over the place.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Many years ago, I read somewhere that "the future" of automotive sound tuning was going to be electronic. Some kind of speaker would send sound waves upstream in the system to counteract the noise coming downstream. Would eliminate the need for mufflers and allow drivers to dial in the sound they want.

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Any recommendations on length for these cars to get rid of that infamous 2500-4000 RPM drone range. I keep attempting calculations but it’s confusing/seemingly all over the place.
If I remember correctly the number I've seen is around 4 feet long.

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
I’ve seen that, too. But recently came across a thread that negated that. Unfortunately the person never actually said which length worked and hasn’t been on the forums in about 2 years. Maddening, haha:

https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/new-cat-back-exhaust-from-borla.9411043/post-114551767
Your best bet is to get a mobile app and measure the loudest frequency in your car and use that for the calculation. I did the measurement before and it's around 36" long. After looking underneath the car the Borla XS Pro does not have a muffler that fits my exhaust, I need a muffler that the inlet/outlet is on the same-side and the borla does not offer that. I may go the J-pipe route instead I just need to buy a flux stainless welder.

Check this out: https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/helmholtz-resonator-created.9278077/?id=9278077

doctorGolfR

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK VII Golf R
Your best bet is to get a mobile app and measure the loudest frequency in your car and use that for the calculation. I did the measurement before and it's around 36" long. After looking underneath the car the Borla XS Pro does not have a muffler that fits my exhaust, I need a muffler that the inlet/outlet is on the same-side and the borla does not offer that. I may go the J-pipe route instead I just need to buy a flux stainless welder.

Check this out: https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/helmholtz-resonator-created.9278077/?id=9278077

nice! I’ve seen that thread, too, but it was in a GTI and they have so much room! Seems like 35-40” really is that sweet spot then. I’ll have to talk with the exhaust shop to see what will fit.

I thought the Borla XS had a few options outside of the offset/offset?

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
nice! I’ve seen that thread, too, but it was in a GTI and they have so much room! Seems like 35-40” really is that sweet spot then. I’ll have to talk with the exhaust shop to see what will fit.

I thought the Borla XS had a few options outside of the offset/offset?
Unfortunately none of the ones I can find. I'm leaning more towards the J pipe anyway because from what I've been researching adding another muffler inline will not remove the drone much at all and can probably make it worse. This was also kind of noticed with @StealthGTI exhaust comparison video where he added a dual muffler setup in addition to the mid muffler setup he already had and it did not do much to lower the overall sound and drone from his overall impression.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
I haven't read all 119 pages, but what are the quietest replacement mufflers I can get for my Alltrack. I've got some specific quad tips I'm trying to use but need mufflers that are shorter to position them properly.

ORE_PDX

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'17 Alltrack SE
I haven't read all 119 pages, but what are the quietest replacement mufflers I can get for my Alltrack. I've got some specific quad tips I'm trying to use but need mufflers that are shorter to position them properly.
You can always cut the OEM tips, and the outlet nipple off to give more room for new tips.

How long are the new quad tips?

You may also need to trim the valance to get a dual to fit.

Screen Shot 2022-05-13 at 1.09.08 PM.png

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
You can always cut the OEM tips, and the outlet nipple off to give more room for new tips.

How long are the new quad tips?

You may also need to trim the valance to get a dual to fit.

View attachment 249080

Hmm.. I'll have to take a closer look.. Maybe they will work. As far as the valance goes, I have a Golf R Estate valance that I bought on Eacca awhile back.

ORE_PDX

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'17 Alltrack SE
Hmm.. I'll have to take a closer look.. Maybe they will work. As far as the valance goes, I have a Golf R Estate valance that I bought on Eacca awhile back.
Don't quote me, but it should work with stock mufflers, have seen several people pull it off.

From a Vortex forum member (@jaypoto), the R valance is not a direct fit. He had to do some trimming, his answer below when I asked him about the process once.

"Once you remove the Alltrack valance it's more clear on what needs to be done. Material needs to be cut away from both ends of the bumper behind the valance to get the Euro R Valance to sit in there. The upper top clip holes I expanded about half an inch so that I could align everything properly. The far ends of the Euro valance will need a small hole drilled to retain the stock torx mounting screw location. The 2 middle clips remain in the same location. Final step is to mould the sides into the bumper with an epoxy or equivalent because the shape is not exact to the bumper but very close. Good luck!"

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
You would order the tdi rear valence like I had. But, you would cut out the right side to fit the tips.

Tegore93

Car(s)
VW Golf Mk7 Gti
Hi guys,
I’ve had a look around and can’t find the answer for my specific situation.
Ive purchased a GTI mk7 my2017 which has a 3” Borla S-type catback attached and has the stock down pipe.

I've turned the soundaktor down to 0 which has helped a bit but I’m still finding the noise too loud so I’m looking at getting a resonator.

Will the 17950 fit without issues to my current setup? And will this help at all with the noise?

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
Hi guys,
I’ve had a look around and can’t find the answer for my specific situation.
Ive purchased a GTI mk7 my2017 which has a 3” Borla S-type catback attached and has the stock down pipe.

I've turned the soundaktor down to 0 which has helped a bit but I’m still finding the noise too loud so I’m looking at getting a resonator.

Will the 17950 fit without issues to my current setup? And will this help at all with the noise?
It will help with drone, but it will still be loud.