GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

doctorGolfR

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK VII Golf R
@GTI Jake

I know you’re a fan of the combo of the 17950 and the Borla XS pro. I’ve recently watched the video where you and StealthGTI compare a bunch of your different offerings and it’s informative as hell.

Have you ever worked with the vibrant 1127 muffler? I noticed it’s essentially the same dimensions as the Borla XS pro that you use after the 17950. I’m thinking about experimenting with this instead of the XS. I assume it would sound similar.

7EE06E07-6A71-4831-87A4-99E7717AD7F6.png

doctorGolfR

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK VII Golf R
For the MK7 R peeps,... just wanted to share that I've had an AWE Catted DP with OEM CBE/S3 Resonator delete with EQT Stage 2 for quite some time but wanted more sound. So about a couple months ago I put in AWE's latest V2 Switchpath system and loved the overall sound signature but as everyone here expects the drone/cabin vibration got annoying with or without valves closed under load. Since the recommended 17950 is problematic with the R, I decided to go with the 1795 instead at the midpipe section of the CBE. It's PERFECT! Definitely took the edge out especially the cabin vibration between ~2800 to 3200 RPM. With valves closed it's slightly louder than the AWE Catted DP/OEM CBE but tons better than without the resonator. It retains the AWEsome sound signature with that nice deep tone and when pushed it goes to a nice refined European sound . With valves open well... it's a race car no doubt! Again, however, drone here is not annoying as it used to be.

No clearance issues at all with the Vibrant 1795. So if you'e on the fence... It worked for me and glad I went with this option.

I also have a Golf R. I've read enough on here about clearance, and outside of it visually looking scary it seems there truly shouldn't be an issue with going with the larger diameter 17950 that @GTI Jake recommends.

I think it's awesome that you had personal success with the smaller diameter 1795, but you have no comparison--i.e. you didn't test it on your car against the recommended 17950--so it's hard to say if your choice was the BEST choice for drone reduction.

Clearly, though, it sounds like it was the best choice for clearance.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
@GTI Jake

I know you’re a fan of the combo of the 17950 and the Borla XS pro. I’ve recently watched the video where you and StealthGTI compare a bunch of your different offerings and it’s informative as hell.

Have you ever worked with the vibrant 1127 muffler? I noticed it’s essentially the same dimensions as the Borla XS pro that you use after the 17950. I’m thinking about experimenting with this instead of the XS. I assume it would sound similar.

View attachment 248571

+1 on that idea.

doctorGolfR

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK VII Golf R
@GTI Jake you're using a Borla muffler in your system but you also suggested they weren't great quality. Good enough for a budget build? Or are there only certain Borla products that you'd recommend?
This is why I just asked him about the Vibrant 1127 oval muffler. It has almost the same exact dimensions and comes in an offset/offset setup just like the Borla XS Pro. I suspect given Vibrant's reputation that it might sound similar or even better when placed in the same location that @GTI Jake suggests to place the Borla XS Pro.

I also suspect that it'll be more durable as I've read a lot through many forums and Amazon reviews about the Borla XS Pro failing given its thin body. I'm leaning heavily towards experimenting with this next week. I'll report back.

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
If someone’s had a Borla muffler fail it was most likely because they did something stupid, like welding a hanger to just the case & or without back purging (ruins stainless).

Almost only counts in horseshoes & hand grenades.

My weld fixtures are built specifically for each component that I use, and each cost me time and money to develop that I’ll never get back.
EDB9AC6C-7AC9-49CA-B2A2-C04E8504E08D.jpeg

998FA6FB-09FD-4A9E-B457-1D626DCC4F6F.jpeg

67C69AA9-4B8B-4C96-91D4-3CF620DF52FB.jpeg
67C69AA9-4B8B-4C96-91D4-3CF620DF52FB.jpeg

Not changing up something that’s worked flawlessly since 2016.

To be clear I see no issue with you using that Vibrant muffler, I’m a Vibrant Authorized Dealer and love their products. I just can’t try every single possible combination they offer. Also, seeing you’re on Verocious shopping is a great move as well, as they’re my go to distributor for 75% of the materials I use (dig the banners).
17E700AC-9FA1-4745-A5F5-8C7C8EA162BD.jpeg

Last edited:

doctorGolfR

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK VII Golf R
If someone’s had a Borla muffler fail it was most likely because they did something stupid, like welding a hanger to just the case & or without back purging (ruins stainless).

Almost only counts in horseshoes & hand grenades.

My weld fixtures are built specifically for each component that I use, and each cost me time and money to develop that I’ll never get back.
View attachment 248629

View attachment 248630
View attachment 248631View attachment 248631

Not changing up something that’s worked flawlessly since 2016.

To be clear I see no issue with you using that Vibrant muffler, I’m a Vibrant Authorized Dealer and love their products. I just can’t try every single possible combination they offer. Also, seeing you’re on Verocious shopping is a great move as well, as they’re my go to distributor for 75% of the materials I use.
Thanks for that [free] insight! I get the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it approach” for sure.

doctorGolfR

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK VII Golf R
*EDIT* never mind, I found an old thread from you that answers my question:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...ack-light-weight-single-side-dual-tip.350765/

I’ve used Borla XS Pro on a few CBE & TBE.

This is a R, stock downpipe. 3” CBE with no resonator and a Borla muffler. Sounds good, but pretty tame.

@GTI Jake, one more question! Before I head to the exhaust shop, I’m wondering where/how you fit the Borla XS Pro on the Golf R in the video above that you posted a while ago. Was it where the OEM resonator used to be?

Where might you place it on this setup below? (Not my car, but I do currently have the same CBE):

Attachments

• C1727A12-2333-4365-872E-AFB8C9ED5EBC.jpeg
    C1727A12-2333-4365-872E-AFB8C9ED5EBC.jpeg
    581 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
*EDIT* never mind, I found an old thread from you that answers my question:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...ack-light-weight-single-side-dual-tip.350765/

@GTI Jake, one more question! Before I head to the exhaust shop, I’m wondering where/how you fit the Borla XS Pro on the Golf R in the video above that you posted a while ago. Was it where the OEM resonator used to be?

Where might you place it on this setup below? (Not my car, but I do currently have the same CBE):

Yep you got it, it fits nicely in the OEM resonator spot!

doctorGolfR

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK VII Golf R
Yep you got it, it fits nicely in the OEM resonator spot!
Just as an update, wanted to do everything step-wise.

This morning just had the shop weld on the vibrant 17950 resonator into the recommended location for the Golf R. I had them hold off on the vibrant 1127 muffler and I’m glad I did because it definitely would have made it too quiet.

My setup on my MK7 Golf R:

Stock DP -> vibrant 17950 -> Nameless 3” catback with the dual 5” mufflers

B6649F80-9A3B-407F-AB6E-CC237A297F1F.jpeg

Like previously reported by many, the 17950 really is magic. It refined the system and cleaned up every bit of drone at every RPM range outside of the infamous 2500-3500 RPM zone; it calmed it down a bit, but I kind of knew it wouldn’t tackle it completely.

The resonator also tamed the volume about 10-15%, which is great and I don’t want the system any quieter hence not installing the muffler.

I think at this point I’m going to do the calculations for a 1/4 Jpipe resonator to tackle that specific 2500-3500 RPM zone then this will literally be a perfect 3” catback!

Side note:

I’m extremely sensitive to noise and drone (clearly) and if I had to leave it at what it is right now I’d be okay, but I believe I can truly achieve a drone free setup.

Took care of the valves with plug-in valve simulators so no codes on OBD11.

Also from a $$$ aspect, for all parts and installation thus far I’m in $1500 for a “dialed in for me” exhaust, which is reasonable given what other companies are charging for full systems that STILL need editing.

I think this setup is great for anyone with a Golf R who doesn’t want an aftermarket DP/doesn’t plan to go beyond Stage 1.

Reactions: MSH

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
Just as an update, wanted to do everything step-wise.

This morning just had the shop weld on the vibrant 17950 resonator into the recommended location for the Golf R. I had them hold off on the vibrant 1127 muffler and I’m glad I did because it definitely would have made it too quiet.

My setup on my MK7 Golf R:

Stock DP -> vibrant 17950 -> Nameless 3” catback with the dual 5” mufflers

View attachment 248837

Like previously reported by many, the 17950 really is magic. It refined the system and cleaned up every bit of drone at every RPM range outside of the infamous 2500-3500 RPM zone; it calmed it down a bit, but I kind of knew it wouldn’t tackle it completely.

The resonator also tamed the volume about 10-15%, which is great and I don’t want the system any quieter hence not installing the muffler.

I think at this point I’m going to do the calculations for a 1/4 Jpipe resonator to tackle that specific 2500-3500 RPM zone then this will literally be a perfect 3” catback!

Side note:

I’m extremely sensitive to noise and drone (clearly) and if I had to leave it at what it is right now I’d be okay, but I believe I can truly achieve a drone free setup.

Took care of the valves with plug-in valve simulators so no codes on OBD11.

Also from a $$$ aspect, for all parts and installation thus far I’m in $1500 for a “dialed in for me” exhaust, which is reasonable given what other companies are charging for full systems that STILL need editing.

I think this setup is great for anyone with a Golf R who doesn’t want an aftermarket DP/doesn’t plan to go beyond Stage 1.
If you were to install the vibrant muffler, wouldn't that take care of the drone as well?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
That I’m not sure about, but I doubt it. What I am sure about is that it would make things quieter and I like where the volume is at right now.
It will do both… but a perfect scaled j pipe will be the ticket for killing a specific frequency without lowering the output of other frequencies.

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
I'm in the process of getting a 3" Borla XS Pro in the rear section by the gas tank (GTI) to hopefully lower drone, and if it does lower the overall sound that I guess is a benefit in my case, i'm getting old here lol.