GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Climatronic upgrade with instructions and pictures.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
You of all people should have it. These controls were made to be paired with the digital dash and 9.2" screen!
You don't say those words to me, lol. I was looking at press pictures of the 2021+ Arteon and Tiguan and they show the capacitive HVAC controls. None show a Max A/C button but they don't have the Clean Air. I could live with that as I can manually set the thing for Max A/C (minimum temp, highest fan speed, etc.) I just don't want the non-functioning Clean Air button... having a non-functioning Nav button is part of how I ended up with navigation. Full climatronic retrofit is one I'm actually not interested in, although I like the idea of the partial as per this thread.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
You don't say those words to me, lol. I was looking at press pictures of the 2021+ Arteon and Tiguan and they show the capacitive HVAC controls. None show a Max A/C button but they don't have the Clean Air. I could live with that as I can manually set the thing for Max A/C (minimum temp, highest fan speed, etc.) I just don't want the non-functioning Clean Air button... having a non-functioning Nav button is part of how I ended up with navigation. Full climatronic retrofit is one I'm actually not interested in, although I like the idea of the partial as per this thread.

As far as I'm aware, the clean air function is something specific to China, since their air quality sucks. If\when these controls end up in vehicles out of China, I'd imagine they wouldn't have a non-working Clean Air button.

I already have a non-working App button on my screen, so it doesn't matter to me.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Why would anyone purposely make it harder to use their climate control lol..

Granted, it's limited time with it, but I don't find it any harder to use. It's just capacitive buttons, vs. mechanical buttons. You still have to reach out and touch something. Why isn't the same question asked when people upgrade from the MK7 matte infotainment screen with mechanical buttons to the MK7.5 glass one with capacitive buttons?

Now, the stuff that's menu driven on the infotainment screen, like in the MK8's, that I will agree is harder to use.

Like I said in another thread though, I know it's a controversial upgrade. It's like the digital dash. Some people love it, some people hate it.

Leozyo

Car(s)
Golf MK7 GTI
I'm fairly sure they are genuine VW units, just made for the aisa market. I wouldn't say the quality is really any worse, if anything (and I'm being picky) I would have to say that the dials feel slightly more scratchy on rotation and the plastics on the rear perhaps aren't as good quality, but the outward appearance and operation seem spot on. LCD's are equally as sharp and bright, LED's all light up the same colour and brightness etc. I've since fitted a different, used unit from a MK7 GTi that I got cheap, but that's purely because I found out I'd been scammed on a VCDS cable and it wouldn't work properly with the AliExpress one, nothing to do with the panel, just the old version of cable I'd massively overpaid some d*ckhead for is a Europe version.

I can't comment on the operation of the clean air button I'm afraid, because I don't have that panel fitted at the minute. But from what I gather the clean air system reads the air quality status from a sensor on the outside of the pollen filter. What it does with that information I don't know, but what I do know is that when you get your panel you need to go into the coding with VCDS and turn off/deactivate the Air quality sensor and both the inside and outside condensation sensors, otherwise your Start-Stop won't work and it will run the compressor more than it shoud, as it assumes the windscreen could fog up so plays it safe. You should also change the panel from it's default LHD to RHD if you're in the UK or other countries where we drive on the left. Otherwise the primary temperature knob is the left one, so when you adjust the right it will try to move flaps that just aren't there and you'll need to press the 'sync' button again.

Dave.

Oh shit, wish i wouldve known this earlier. Now i gotta spend some more money on the MAXAC panel. I couldve just asked the aliexpres shop to sell me the harness without the panel :/.

Going to get myself a used MAX A/C spec unit and use the aliexpres cables now.

Last edited:

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Oh shit, wish i wouldve known this earlier. Now i gotta spend some more money on the MAXAC panel. I couldve just asked the aliexpres shop to sell me the harness without the panel :/.

Going to get myself a used MAX A/C spec unit and use the aliexpres cables now.

This is definitely the best route! Used Genuine OEM parts with AliExpress harnesses are definitely the way to do things.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
The only thing I'm running in to with this capacitive panel, is I'm not sure how to run the flap resync adaption (not even sure if it's really necessary). I've tried holding down a few button combinations, but haven't found anything that works. I asked the seller, but they're on vacation.

Does anybody know if that adaption can be triggered with OBD11?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
The only thing I'm running in to with this capacitive panel, is I'm not sure how to run the flap resync adaption (not even sure if it's really necessary). I've tried holding down a few button combinations, but haven't found anything that works. I asked the seller, but they're on vacation.

Does anybody know if that adaption can be triggered with OBD11?
It's in Basic Settings.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Received kit and installed today. Couple of observations.

I was unable to perform AC 'Run-in' (sync) by hitting the AC and "Max Demist" buttons simultaneously. However, Rollback50K's post https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...ions-and-pictures.379148/page-10#post-7546622 that has instruction of pressing AC button and rear window defrost (lower button on left knob) did work. After performing, AC then lit up and AC started working.

I must of had the older kit as both sensors were straight, not one straight and one 90° as some have received. I installed straight sensor into footwell vent and it did not have any clearance issues. As someone posted 9mm diameter hole and dremel for two slots, worked like a charm, nice and tight. Not sure if I am going to purchase the proper 90° sensor or keep as is.

RG6 coax cable worked well for fishing cables.

My climatic cover is black with a slight pattern and the replacement is black. Not sure if I will notice difference, but may have to get matching cover.

Unit is 100% authentic VW. Will likely replace with one that has the MaxAC button as that is a nice feature as opposed to having a non-working "clean air" feature.

I really like the auto function control panel. No problem with standard unit, but this is "trick".

Thanks OP for posting and all the contributors.

Attachments

• IMG-7868.JPG
    IMG-7868.JPG
    881.7 KB · Views: 641
  • IMG-7871.JPG
    IMG-7871.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 566
  • IMG-7869.JPG
    IMG-7869.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 527
  • IMG-7865.JPG
    IMG-7865.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 482
  • IMG-7866.JPG
    IMG-7866.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,400
Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
So I was messing around with OBD11 and the stuff in basic settings, and I think I broke a bunch of stuff. My AC won't turn on, and getting some flapper motor errors that were not there before.

Screenshot_20201226-122215.png

The errors persist even if I run the adapt flap and stops again, and trying to run "compressor run in, automatic start" gives me an error about marginal conditions not being met.

Any help or idea on how to fix what I broke?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
So I was messing around with OBD11 and the stuff in basic settings, and I think I broke a bunch of stuff. My AC won't turn on, and getting some flapper motor errors that were not there before.

View attachment 197435

The errors persist even if I run the adapt flap and stops again, and trying to run "compressor run in, automatic start" gives me an error about marginal conditions not being met.

Any help or idea on how to fix what I broke?
Basic settings faults are to be expected.

You need to do the compressor run in.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Basic settings faults are to be expected.

You need to do the compressor run in.

When I try running that though, I get the error "(22) Function Cancelled, marginal conditions have not been met". I've followed the steps outlined here, but it is still giving me that error.

Screenshot_20201226-131124.png