GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Climatronic upgrade with instructions and pictures.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Any coding necessary to get heater controls to show up in MIB2 screen (as shown in post #137) or does it just show up?

Attachments

• 072D1571-C34F-4AE9-9180-E936D772847E.jpeg
    072D1571-C34F-4AE9-9180-E936D772847E.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 178

FrankieThissen

Car(s)
'20 GTI S 6spd
Just got mine installed tonight. Few tips that would’ve helped me.

-remove trim from around AC controls before taking out cubby. For some reason I could not get the cubby out until the trim was out the way.

-the clip for the USB-C connector faces inward towards cubby (not seen when you pull the cubby out)

-the gauge panel trim is “behind” the adjacent vent trims.

- my gauge cluster took a metric shit ton of force to get out. I was actually looking for other ways to fish the wire it did not budge.

- the upper vent hole for the sensor is right behind the small trim piece next to the weatherstripping. You won’t see it when you first take off the cover panel.

-I started taking apart the driver knee area, but it wasn’t necessary. If you have a T20 with a very long extension you can remove the footwell vent without taking anything apart. (It’s through the slot under the steering column)

- I placed the 2nd sensor in the footwell vent plumbing that is easily removed with the above T20. It’s less than 2” from the OEM location and much easier to remove and reinstall.

- I drilled a 9mm hole and dremeled a few slots to fit the lower temp sensor.

All in all I made it harder for myself. And managers to drop a clip inside the center vent; which made its way all the way to the bottom near the cabin filter. Also, had a minor stroke when I reconnected the battery and had a Christmas tree in the dash; quick google search told me to drive, and it went away by the time I got down the block :).

This is not a hard DIY, but you will be taking apart quite a bit of the interior from the center stack to all the way to the far side of the drivers area.

Good luck all, definitely an upgrade worth doing in my eyes :)

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Just got mine installed tonight. Few tips that would’ve helped me.

-remove trim from around AC controls before taking out cubby. For some reason I could not get the cubby out until the trim was out the way.

-the clip for the USB-C connector faces inward towards cubby (not seen when you pull the cubby out)

-the gauge panel trim is “behind” the adjacent vent trims.

- my gauge cluster took a metric shit ton of force to get out. I was actually looking for other ways to fish the wire it did not budge.

- the upper vent hole for the sensor is right behind the small trim piece next to the weatherstripping. You won’t see it when you first take off the cover panel.

-I started taking apart the driver knee area, but it wasn’t necessary. If you have a T20 with a very long extension you can remove the footwell vent without taking anything apart. (It’s through the slot under the steering column)

- I placed the 2nd sensor in the footwell vent plumbing that is easily removed with the above T20. It’s less than 2” from the OEM location and much easier to remove and reinstall.

- I drilled a 9mm hole and dremeled a few slots to fit the lower temp sensor.

All in all I made it harder for myself. And managers to drop a clip inside the center vent; which made its way all the way to the bottom near the cabin filter. Also, had a minor stroke when I reconnected the battery and had a Christmas tree in the dash; quick google search told me to drive, and it went away by the time I got down the block :).

This is not a hard DIY, but you will be taking apart quite a bit of the interior from the center stack to all the way to the far side of the drivers area.

Good luck all, definitely an upgrade worth doing in my eyes :)

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Since a lot of plastic trim gets taken apart, how well does it go back together? Do the plastic clips clip back well?

FrankieThissen

Car(s)
'20 GTI S 6spd

Since a lot of plastic trim gets taken apart, how well does it go back together? Do the plastic clips clip back well?

Well I've only had my car for a month, so the plastics are still rather forgiving. I'm sure if you get a few years down the line it won't be quite as forgiving. But for me, everything went back together without a hitch.

Rollback50k

Yeshhhhhhhhh

Aside from the driver side air vent and side panel facing the door, the only panels I ended of removing was the section below the cluster, coin cubby, hvac face, cubby below it. I used a long sturdy/heavy duty style ziptie to snake the wires through.
The part that took longest was trying to figure out where to insert the footwell sensor until I realized I had to drill a hole.

Amaster85

Passed Driver's Ed
Does this work on the TDI ? I know I have the electric heater to make up for the longer engine warmup times. Curious if this would work and kick that on still

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
I noticed the AliExpress variant has 'Clean Air' button on the right. Not sure what it does, but just so you know - when it comes from factory it comes with a 'Max A/C' button. Very useful for hot countries like mine (Israel).

Sets temperature to lowest setting and turns on fan to max.

1608115419135.png

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
I noticed the AliExpress variant has 'Clean Air' button on the right. Not sure what it does, but just so you know - when it comes from factory it comes with a 'Max A/C' button. Very useful for hot countries like mine (Israel).

Sets temperature to lowest setting and turns on fan to max.

View attachment 196353
This is the main reason I bought a used panel in the UK rather than the Asia market panel!

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Have this coming in a few days, except I opted to ditch the knobs entirely and go with the capacitive controls. Same harness and sensors that need to be wired up.

1608123470046.png

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
This is the main reason I bought a used panel in the UK rather than the Asia market panel!

Genuine used parts >>>>> AliExpress fakes :).

Have this coming in a few days, except I opted to ditch the knobs entirely and go with the capacitive controls. Same harness and sensors that need to be wired up.

View attachment 196354

Looks cool! Is this taken from the Passat/Tiguan? Does it sit flush?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Genuine used parts >>>>> AliExpress fakes :).

Looks cool! Is this taken from the Passat/Tiguan? Does it sit flush?

Believe it's from a Passat. It should sit flush, will know more in a couple days when it gets delivered.