GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Climatronic upgrade with instructions and pictures.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
So I think I might be into something....

I was looking around and came across these units which have sensors (circled in red)
View attachment 194773
Then took mine out (this is the section leading to the driver side footwell vents) and realized mine doesn’t have this sensor (as expected) nor a grommet.

However, it does appear to have markings where it would be located IF it were to be equipped.View attachment 194775

View attachment 194776
The harness and surroundings you see in this following picture appears to be identical to the on in the shop manual picture.
View attachment 194780

View attachment 194781
If someone has fitted the sensor without drilling anything, can you please share where you installed it (and please don’t refer me to the work shop page Tom posted in page 7 lol)

Drilling a hole is sounding so much easier lol
What unit is that a photo of?

Rollback50k

Yeshhhhhhhhh
My kit arrived today! Also came with one straight sensor and one right angle sensor. Looks like they updated the kit. Appearance and feel is very OEM with the Aliexpress kit. I was going to source an OEM unit in case I wasn’t happy with the finish; but doesn’t look like I’ll need toView attachment 194782
Nice! For the record, I know it’s been weeks since it was mentioned but the seller for my unit sent me instructions (first option did not work, but the second one he recommended did)
Adapting setting :

 Adapt the air flow direction (from air vent)

press AC button 8 and button 3 , the indicate light will blinking ,if the setting is done , the indicate light will illumination as normal .

 Adaptor air compressor

Press button 8 and 16 for a few seconds , the indicate light will illumination . and the setting is done .

If the compressor running in first time , press button 8 and 16 for five seconds . the indicate light will illumination at same time, the adapting setting is done . air condition AC can work as normal .

This time the indicate light will not blinking , you need press 30 seconds ,then switch off by “off” button , and switch on AC to check if the compressor is working . if the setting is not working , please try more time for operation of adaptor air compressor

1 use keys to open fire And hold the third button ‘3 ’above and AC key‘ 8 ’more than ten seconds, until the air conditioning automatically stop,

2 at the same time Hold down the after the wind hot keys ‘16 ’and of AC key‘ 8’, more than ten seconds, until the air conditioning automatically stops

Until the air conditioning automatically stop.According to the above two steps air conditioning reset is complete, function normal.

IMG_0542.jpeg

If the previous operation failed, use this instruction to reset the activation.

Step 1: the car starts, blow the face [3] and ac [8] simultaneously press and hold for 10 seconds ,to activate the compressor.

Step 2: Press the rear glass defrost key [16 key] and ac [8 key] simultaneously for 2 minutes. 【Uninterrupted time】

Step 3; After the ac light is on, turn on air conditioner, turn on ac, start the car travel few kilometers, solve the problem

072D1571-C34F-4AE9-9180-E936D772847E.jpeg
AD40028E-7B18-4897-BF70-22823D3FFC4D.jpeg

What unit is that a photo of?
Assuming you’re referring to the first one(?)ebay listing said it was out of a Golf R
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MK7-VW-GTI...-/233492531382?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Nice! For the record, I know it’s been weeks since it was mentioned but the seller for my unit sent me instructions (first option did not work, but the second one he recommended did)
Adapting setting :

press AC button 8 and button 3 , the indicate light will blinking ,if the setting is done , the indicate light will illumination as normal .

 Adaptor air compressor

Press button 8 and 16 for a few seconds , the indicate light will illumination . and the setting is done .

If the compressor running in first time , press button 8 and 16 for five seconds . the indicate light will illumination at same time, the adapting setting is done . air condition AC can work as normal .

This time the indicate light will not blinking , you need press 30 seconds ,then switch off by “off” button , and switch on AC to check if the compressor is working . if the setting is not working , please try more time for operation of adaptor air compressor

1 use keys to open fire And hold the third button ‘3 ’above and AC key‘ 8 ’more than ten seconds, until the air conditioning automatically stop,

2 at the same time Hold down the after the wind hot keys ‘16 ’and of AC key‘ 8’, more than ten seconds, until the air conditioning automatically stops

Until the air conditioning automatically stop.According to the above two steps air conditioning reset is complete, function normal.

View attachment 194787

Step 1: the car starts, blow the face [3] and ac [8] simultaneously press and hold for 10 seconds ,to activate the compressor.

Step 2: Press the rear glass defrost key [16 key] and ac [8 key] simultaneously for 2 minutes. 【Uninterrupted time】

Step 3; After the ac light is on, turn on air conditioner, turn on ac, start the car travel few kilometers, solve the problem

View attachment 194788View attachment 194789

Assuming you’re referring to the first one(?)ebay listing said it was out of a Golf R
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MK7-VW-GTI...-/233492531382?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292
I'm in agreement - it needs drilling.

Rollback50k

Yeshhhhhhhhh
I'm in agreement - it needs drilling.
I’m sorry....can you repeat that?! Lol I’m jk.

I’m not crazy though right, or have you just given up hope for me lol

Also I’d like to add the following because it was brought up midway into this thread. Vcds (using a true/authentic hex-v2) did not have issues communicating with the unit I got off AliExpress.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
I’m sorry....can you repeat that?! Lol I’m jk.

I’m not crazy though right, or have you just given up hope for me lol

Also I’d like to add the following because it was brought up midway into this thread. Vcds (using a true/authentic hex-v2) did not have issues communicating with the unit I got off AliExpress.
I fully agree having observed the image you've sent of a unit with the sensor from factory that you've successfully located where it should be. It's clear that the aperture hasn't simply been sealed with a rubber grommet as the workshop manual describes (and like the upper vents), but simply hasn't been cut at all.

Rollback50k

Yeshhhhhhhhh
I fully agree having observed the image you've sent of a unit with the sensor from factory that you've successfully located where it should be. It's clear that the aperture hasn't simply been sealed with a rubber grommet as the workshop manual describes (and like the upper vents), but simply hasn't been cut at all.
Awesome ok thank you. And yes I agree, it’s strange because my upper vents had the grommets.
I think maybe the first post in this thread could use some updating. I would include using “Driver/Passenger” side as opposed to “Left/Right”.
For the record, I did not need to pull the infotainment screen. I just used a long heavy duty ziptie and taped the plug/pins to one end and was able to snake it through the panels.

FrankieThissen

Car(s)
'20 GTI S 6spd
Awesome ok thank you. And yes I agree, it’s strange because my upper vents had the grommets.
I think maybe the first post in this thread could use some updating. I would include using “Driver/Passenger” side as opposed to “Left/Right”.
For the record, I did not need to pull the infotainment screen. I just used a long heavy duty ziptie and taped the plug/pins to one end and was able to snake it through the panels.

That piece of ducting seems to be attached to the heater box; which is different for manual control and dual zone cars. Which is why we don’t get the dual zone function with this retrofit. Probably explains why you see the position for the cutout, but it’s not done since this is a manual control heater box from the factory. Not sure if that piece of ducting can be purchased, or if it’s just as easy to cut the hole

Rollback50k

Yeshhhhhhhhh
That piece of ducting seems to be attached to the heater box; which is different for manual control and dual zone cars. Which is why we don’t get the dual zone function with this retrofit. Probably explains why you see the position for the cutout, but it’s not done since this is a manual control heater box from the factory. Not sure if that piece of ducting can be purchased, or if it’s just as easy to cut the hole
I’ve been checking and even if it is something you can purchase, it’s seems to be easy to cut. I wonder if we can just get the wire diagram from Erwin and match it to the pin out for the dual zone cars.

FrankieThissen

Car(s)
'20 GTI S 6spd
I’ve been checking and even if it is something you can purchase, it’s seems to be easy to cut. I wonder if we can just get the wire diagram from Erwin and match it to the pin out for the dual zone cars.

Our heater box doesn’t have the flap to separate into dual zones. That’s definitely not possible without changing out the heater box

Rollback50k

Yeshhhhhhhhh
Our heater box doesn’t have the flap to separate into dual zones. That’s definitely not possible without changing out the heater box
Correct 100%. I was meant to say *from a dual zone car. Some pages ago Dave mentioned trying to sort out which sensor actually went to which pin on the connector (if in the future someone wanted to do the full retrofit or at least to identify them as the instructions that came with the kit from AliExpress are labeled wrong)

Update for those of us who don’t have the cut out with grommet in place like mine.
Before
F8F8AE07-4E98-42E1-B64F-55C4AFB6CB78.jpeg

BEBE0E30-A1AE-4446-9348-BF6615E70F7A.jpeg

After (it doesn’t look cute, I just went full send with what I had available lol)
F6B9E72C-A865-4573-A0E9-2F40286FD5B5.jpeg

04CAF360-0401-4BB3-9868-5D173D847A7F.jpeg

7B7A4E33-692B-4D59-B27A-ECBC2FD2599C.jpeg

Last edited:

FrankieThissen

Car(s)
'20 GTI S 6spd
Correct 100%. I was meant to say *from a dual zone car. Some pages ago Dave mentioned trying to sort out which sensor actually went to which pin on the connector (if in the future someone wanted to do the full retrofit or at least to identify them as the instructions that came with the kit from AliExpress are labeled wrong)

Update for those of us who don’t have the cut out with grommet in place like mine.
Before
View attachment 194814
View attachment 194815
After (it doesn’t look cute, I just went full send with what I had available lol)
View attachment 194811
View attachment 194812
View attachment 194813

I think the sensor needs to be turned 90deg so that the air can flow through the holes in the green board. Not 100% but that’s how I thought it needed to face

Rollback50k

Yeshhhhhhhhh
I think the sensor needs to be turned 90deg so that the air can flow through the holes in the green board. Not 100% but that’s how I thought it needed to face
I would think so too but according the workshop image it doesn’t (then again, the sensor supplied isn’t the same. Oem sensor I think has a plastic housing, not a bare green board)
8AF0D324-0F7D-48A4-AAA3-4C0CDFA29A76.jpeg

33A6AD3A-4C61-4D6E-821D-BCF9C2787B0D.jpeg

davegsm82

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf and T3 Tdi
Adapting setting :

 Adaptor air compressor

View attachment 194787

View attachment 194788View attachment 194789

Rolback, are these photo's of the media unit from your car? I only ask as I don't have the climate menu and am curious if it's a coding option or if it comes with a partuclar level (and above) of media unit. I'm on the Discover Media from 2013, looks almost identical to yours, besides the 'Mute' button (which is 'voice' in my car, a regional variation).

If I Press the Menu button on either of my Clima unit's I don't get anything on my media unit.

Also, regarding the wiring diagrams, yes I have those from a MK6 manual that I found online, I'll dig out a link and post it up (if I didn't already). A Retrofit would be entirely possible, but would of course require the dahboard to be pulled, the air box is different as you've found, and you also need the sunlight sensor on top of the missing temp sensors. The air quality sensor would need to be fitted if you wanted to have that functionality, also the coding for these units mentions condensation sensors which should be coded OFF if you haven't got them fitted, leaving them on causes the SS to stop working as I found earlier.

Dave.

Rollback50k

Yeshhhhhhhhh
Rolback, are these photo's of the media unit from your car? I only ask as I don't have the climate menu and am curious if it's a coding option or if it comes with a partuclar level (and above) of media unit. I'm on the Discover Media from 2013, looks almost identical to yours, besides the 'Mute' button (which is 'voice' in my car, a regional variation).

If I Press the Menu button on either of my Clima unit's I don't get anything on my media unit.

Also, regarding the wiring diagrams, yes I have those from a MK6 manual that I found online, I'll dig out a link and post it up (if I didn't already). A Retrofit would be entirely possible, but would of course require the dahboard to be pulled, the air box is different as you've found, and you also need the sunlight sensor on top of the missing temp sensors. The air quality sensor would need to be fitted if you wanted to have that functionality, also the coding for these units mentions condensation sensors which should be coded OFF if you haven't got them fitted, leaving them on causes the SS to stop working as I found earlier.

Dave.
Dave,
Yes pictures from my infotainment (my ‘15 came with mib1 so I retrofit mib2). I didn’t have this screen option before the climatronic swap. Sorry I wish I had a better answer for you.

No coding other than the one Bit for the fan speed indicator when set on Auto.

If it’s of any help, I’ve acquired the wire diagram and am making a list of the pin out to the 20pin connector. So far (if I’ve done/followed it correctly) I have the following:

Pin 1 - G107 Sunlight photo sensor
Pin 2 -
Pin 3 - G107 Sunlight photo sensor
Pin 4 -
Pin 5 - J533 Data bus on board diagnostic interface
Pin 6 - J533 Data bus on board diagnostic interface
Pin 7 -
Pin 8 -
Pin 9 - G107 Sunlight photo sensor
Pin 10 -
Pin 11 -
Pin 12 -
Pin 13 - G150 Left vent temperature sensor
Pin 14 - G151 Right vent temperature sensor
Pin 15 -
Pin 16 -
Pin 17 -
Pin 18 - N280 A/C compressor regulator valve (lower left)
Pin 19 -
Pin 20 -

-Martin

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Dave,
Yes pictures from my infotainment (my ‘15 came with mib1 so I retrofit mib2). I didn’t have this screen option before the climatronic swap. Sorry I wish I had a better answer for you.

No coding other than the one Bit for the fan speed indicator when set on Auto.

If it’s of any help, I’ve acquired the wire diagram and am making a list of the pin out to the 20pin connector. So far (if I’ve done/followed it correctly) I have the following:

Pin 1 - G107 Sunlight photo sensor
Pin 2 -
Pin 3 - G107 Sunlight photo sensor
Pin 4 -
Pin 5 - J533 Data bus on board diagnostic interface
Pin 6 - J533 Data bus on board diagnostic interface
Pin 7 -
Pin 8 -
Pin 9 - G107 Sunlight photo sensor
Pin 10 -
Pin 11 -
Pin 12 -
Pin 13 - G150 Left vent temperature sensor
Pin 14 - G151 Right vent temperature sensor
Pin 15 -
Pin 16 -
Pin 17 -
Pin 18 - N280 A/C compressor regulator valve (lower left)
Pin 19 -
Pin 20 -

-Martin
I'll save you some time. Go to page 1,836 of the PDF and you'll see the full pinouts for Plugs A, B, and C.