GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7.5 Digital Cockpit retrofit

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I see you guys talking about used clusters, Is it possible to install by yourself? I thought VW made it that only official VW dealership can install them.
Used clusters generally need to be approved by VW before component protection can be removed and the cluster can be tied to a new car. The official process in Europe is something like an authorised shop scans the cluster to ensure it was not stolen and then submits an official request to VW to allow the used cluster to be activated with a different car. I think I read that there have been periods when VW has stopped approving used clusters for whatever reason but that does not appear to be the case at the moment. The whole process does not reset the cluster to zero mileage and I believe you would have to use a bench setup like @Cuzoe described to advance the mileage. I am not sure how easy it is to go through this process in North America, but Europe seems to be easier.

In terms of the used cluster from a different vehicle variant that @Lokgolo was discussing, there are some reports of issues with VW if the part number does not match what is in their centralised database. I don't know if this is only an issue during the initial approval scan or if it can happen during component protection removal, etc. when activating the cluster in a new car.

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Mother--.... I hope that's not the case
I can't find the eBay listing so maybe you have a chance? I almost went down the path of trying a Tiguan cluster after finding the e-Golf cluster but the potentiality of having a paperweight or having a cluster that has issues dissuaded me from continuing. The ODIS flashing seems painful and I have not found the other solution of using an SD card with the MIB main unit and MOST fibre detailed anywhere.

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
Used clusters are getting approved at the moment, got mine fitted a couple weeks ago and had someone else do theirs right after mine (both Audi fwiw).

Working on a source for mileage adjustment in the US.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Mother--.... I hope that's not the case
Oh it's absolutely the case. It was on track to take ~9 hours in the car, but my battery charger died (I had a pucker moment). Took the dash out, like I should have in the first place, and did the update on the bench. Still took somewhere beyond 7 hours.
https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-mk7-today.316916/post-7965887

I can't find the eBay listing so maybe you have a chance? I almost went down the path of trying a Tiguan cluster after finding the e-Golf cluster but the potentiality of having a paperweight or having a cluster that has issues dissuaded me from continuing. The ODIS flashing seems painful and I have not found the other solution of using an SD card with the MIB main unit and MOST fibre detailed anywhere.
There aren't a ton of updates, generally speaking, available in .frf format for loading from SD card. Assuming you got your hands on a .frf formatted AID update it may not work for cross-flashing. You can set ODIS to ignore the compatibility checks for flashing (like when I load RS-5 firmware to my SoundAktor, which is a different part number completely, haha). I'm not aware of any way to ignore those checks if using SD card method.

Used clusters are getting approved at the moment, got mine fitted a couple weeks ago and had someone else do theirs right after mine (both Audi fwiw).

Working on a source for mileage adjustment in the US.
I'll PM you about borrowing the bench setup, never got back to you on that 🤦‍♂️.

I fully intend to set it up on a bench and roll it forward using a program I saw on mibsolution.com
Both myself and @yakev724 are trying to get that done. I have a bench setup and older VCDS (HEX-CAN) that can be set to "dumb mode" but I can't get the program from mibsolution to recognize my cable. I believe yakev724 has a cable that is recognized by the program (when used in the car) but the mileage rolling didn't work so the plan is to try on the bench. He found the AID didn't respond to the wake up command on his bench setup.

On my bench setup the AID doesn't power-up without a BCM attached. The program from mibsolution is supposed to send a wake-up signal (as the BCM normally would) but since my cable isn't recognized I haven't made it that far.

Lokgolo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf TDI S
Oh it's absolutely the case.
I was referring to the AID not being available now, but your thread is intimidating, if only only to me in how big of a time-sink all that work is and not how tedious.

So unlike P/N 5G1920891A which I understand to be plug and play after CP/adaptations/coding, what is the cross-flash achieving if the cluster is transferred within the same base model (i.e. Golf, Passat, Tiguan, etc.)?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I was referring to the AID not being available now, but your thread is intimidating, if only only to me in how big of a time-sink all that work is and not how tedious.

So unlike P/N 5G1920891A which I understand to be plug and play after CP/adaptations/coding, what is the cross-flash achieving if the cluster is transferred within the same base model (i.e. Golf, Passat, Tiguan, etc.)?
I was fortunate that I started and completed most of that work before the baby showed up. These days I don't get anything done, haha.

Correct regarding a 5G1920891A (or B) and even a 5G1920791A (or B) which is the EU spec Golf cluster.

Cross-flashing is needed if you're switching drive train types (combustion, hybrid, or electric) on the same model. It is not needed to go between combustion types on the same model, like gas to diesel on a Golf.
The software/graphics are different so the combustion Golf software will not work on a hybrid Golf (not that we get the GTE in the states anyway). Well, it might "work" but I don't know what you'll get. There may be hardware differences as well, which is where the risk comes in when flashing mis-matched software.

And then there are things that are platform specific that will be an issue if you go from Golf to Tiguan for example... little things like the possible vehicle pictures... and bigger issues like pre-programmed wheel circumference range that will throw off your speedometer and odometer.

Lokgolo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf TDI S
Cross-flashing is needed if you're switching drive train types (combustion, hybrid, or electric) on the same model. It is not needed to go between combustion types on the same model, like gas to diesel on a Golf.
The software/graphics are different so the combustion Golf software will not work on a hybrid Golf (not that we get the GTE in the states anyway). Well, it might "work" but I don't know what you'll get. There may be hardware differences as well, which is where the risk comes in when flashing mis-matched software.
This is the answer I needed! Now that I understand that, I know ODIS can provides electrical diagrams for a vehicle or VIN, but I assume it doesn't go deeper and provide schematics for specific electrical parts, such as for 5G1920895A, or else someone very dedicated would have already done deep dive comparison. Hell, I'd do it and compile a parts table if it lists the IC P/Ns. If the same or nearly same parts are used, one could more definitively define the risk going from electric to combustion, or vice versa.

Also did confirm the part is available, condition looks good too. I'm tempted to do this but it involves me building a setup that I may only use a few times...

Once late August rolls around what free time I do have will disappear (working on finishing my degree). I could drag my son into this, but he's only 12 so it might all go over his head lol. More of a learning experience for him while I try to tackle the unknown....

Also having to tackle roof repairs/replacement which puts a damper on what I can afford. But $200 is near impossible to beat if it works. So the list of minimum equipment I'd need is:
* AID
* MIB2
* Harness
* BCU
* Gateway
* Knockoff VAG dongle
* ODIS cable
* ODIS access? (I've toyed with paying for a session to download any files I'd need)

Last edited:

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Also having to tackle roof repairs/replacement which puts a damper on what I can afford. But $200 is near impossible to beat if it works. So the list of minimum equipment I'd need is:
* AID
* MIB2
* Harness
* BCU
* Gateway
* Knockoff VAG dongle
* ODIS cable
* ODIS access? (I've toyed with paying for a session to download any files I'd need)
You would also need the AID trim piece (unless they include it and it matches) and the MOST fibre optic cable to go to the MIB2 unit (assuming you want maps in the cluster) for the retrofit into the car. Granted you are talking about equipment, but worth mentioning as well :)

Not sure on BCU (?)...

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
* AID
* MIB2 - Needed for maps in the AID, but you can have the AID without maps if waiting for a good deal, or time.
* Harness - Bench harness ? Nothing happens if the mileage doesn't match, ask me how I know, haha.
* BCU - What's this?
* Gateway - Updating this to facilitate future upgrades I assume? It's not needed for AID or MIB 2.
* Knockoff VAG dongle - For use with bench harness? Might be worth waiting for the result of the @Cuzoe - @yakev724 project :LOL:
* ODIS cable - I have and use a clone VAS 5054A for ODIS off-line, which I've been told can be made to work with on-line as well but cannot confirm.
* ODIS access? (I've toyed with paying for a session to download any files I'd need) - I've yet to do this.

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I have and use a clone VAS 5054A for ODIS off-line, which I've been told can be made to work with on-line as well but cannot confirm.
I have read good things about the VNCI 6154A clone. I believe it is supposed to work without any 'hacks'. I have also read that people can make the 5054A clones work online as well but do not have experience with that.

Lokgolo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf TDI S
I suppose I should have stated that equipment list is explicitly the minimum for setting up a bench system. For a real install I expect the minimum components to MOST cable.

I also found a (unconfirmed availability) of unit for ~$350. Still cheap, but would eliminate the risk of a crossflash and just need a mileage boost.

My USB port should be here in about 1.5 weeks, at which point I'll install what I have. If I go for the

5G1920891A​

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Used clusters generally need to be approved by VW before component protection can be removed and the cluster can be tied to a new car. The official process in Europe is something like an authorised shop scans the cluster to ensure it was not stolen and then submits an official request to VW to allow the used cluster to be activated with a different car. I think I read that there have been periods when VW has stopped approving used clusters for whatever reason but that does not appear to be the case at the moment. The whole process does not reset the cluster to zero mileage and I believe you would have to use a bench setup like @Cuzoe described to advance the mileage. I am not sure how easy it is to go through this process in North America, but Europe seems to be easier.

In terms of the used cluster from a different vehicle variant that @Lokgolo was discussing, there are some reports of issues with VW if the part number does not match what is in their centralised database. I don't know if this is only an issue during the initial approval scan or if it can happen during component protection removal, etc. when activating the cluster in a new car.
let's say the request is approved and the dealer is the one installing the cluster, will ODIS take care of the mileage?