GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7.5 Digital Cockpit retrofit

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
If you have an older VCDS interface (that can be put in "dumb" mode) or you have a clone VCDS (shame on you, haha) you can roll the mileage yourself with an MQB bench setup. Bench setups aren't very expensive on Ali-Express... I suspect less than what the various places are charging to roll mileage. I can send a link to the program that rolls mileage (forward only, of course)... or post the link if you guys want. Not that I advocate for trusting everything downloaded from the internet... but the program does work. I think it's available on MIBSolution also.

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
If you have an older VCDS interface (that can be put in "dumb" mode) or you have a clone VCDS (shame on you, haha) you can roll the mileage yourself with an MQB bench setup. Bench setups aren't very expensive on Ali-Express... I suspect less than what the various places are charging to roll mileage. I can send a link to the program that rolls mileage (forward only, of course)... or post the link if you guys want. Not that I advocate for trusting everything downloaded from the internet... but the program does work. I think it's available on MIBSolution also.
That would be great, either link here or PM.

Thanks!

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I have a (basically complete) MQB bench setup and I haven't been able to get the VC Mileage connect... only tried for about an hour, using my old VCDS cable, HEX+CAN set to dummy mode. My understanding is I might actually have better luck with a cheap generic OBD cable. I need pick one up on eBay.

With my bench setup, the dash does power up fine as long as I have a gateway and BCM connected.

Lokgolo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf TDI S
So I stumbled across P/N 5G1920895A, haven't seen this mentioned anywhere. I've found it on an e-Golf, is this equivalent to 5G1920891A?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
So I stumbled across P/N 5G1920895A, haven't seen this mentioned anywhere. I've found it on an e-Golf, is this equivalent to 5G1920891A?
Over on Ross-Tech there is a (not super long) discussion about cross-flashing clusters. Seems there is some risk, as the hardware may not always be the same. I would not personally spend the money on an e-Golf cluster unless I could find one for really cheap. The user there also ended up with something strange like not being able to show their car on the dash. Of course an e-Golf will look like y(our) Golf on screen anyway.

Short answer is they are not equivalent. So flashing may/may not work.

Lokgolo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf TDI S
I'd consider $200 pretty cheap lol. So the AID would need to cross-flashed to work on my TDI?

Edit: adding reference image of the unit's label

Edit 2: your linked thread is very helpful! I kinda want to build a bench setup so I can experiment with this stuff more easily and with consistent power.

Attachments

• 4389_569085_04_web.jpg
    4389_569085_04_web.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I'd consider $200 pretty cheap lol. So the AID would need to cross-flashed to work on my TDI?

Edit: adding reference image of the unit's label

Edit 2: your linked thread is very helpful! I kinda want to build a bench setup so I can experiment with this stuff more easily and with consistent power.
For $200 I would absolutely 100% buy that, haha. Yes, it would need to be cross-flashed. Assuming that's an EU unit with the (P) symbol for park (as opposed to NAR units that have the word "Park") you may want to flash 5G1920791A (or B) instead of 891A (or B). The 791s are EU units, while 891s are NAR. It may not matter (and this flash is a risk anyway) but figure it was worth noting.

Also, I'd recommend buying a bench harness on AliExpress. They're not very expensive and will have the power supply, all the connections you could want (you can choose from several variants from simple to practically every module in existence). I just can't imagine a situation where it would be worth your time (finding the connectors and pins, building the thing, etc.) let alone your money. And this coming from an aircraft avionics/electrical technician who downright likes wiring/building harnesses.

This was my car at one point, if there's any doubt... https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/cuzoes-2015-golf-tdi-s-journal.373961/post-7563390

Bench harness almost feels like the first thing I should have picked up, haha.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
I see you guys talking about used clusters, Is it possible to install by yourself? I thought VW made it that only official VW dealership can install them.

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
If this is from that place in Salt Lake City, I saw it too and am pretty sure it was sold on eBay. I was tempted to try but apparently flashing it would take upwards of 8 hours on a bench and can have issues.

Lokgolo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf TDI S
Assuming that's an EU unit with the (P) symbol for park (as opposed to NAR units that have the word "Park") you may want to flash 5G1920791A (or B) instead of 891A (or B)
I'm waiting for a few pics, bit I'm 99% positive it's the NAR version, found it at a junker Utah.

I'll look for the bench harness today, don't have the time or patience to build a harness from scratch lol.

Lokgolo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf TDI S
If this is from that place in Salt Lake City, I saw it too and am pretty sure it was sold on eBay. I was tempted to try but apparently flashing it would take upwards of 8 hours on a bench and can have issues.
Mother--.... I hope that's not the case