GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Michelin PSAS 4

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I've got them in 225, they've been great. I just had a screw removed from one and they have plenty of rim protection in stock size. I mean, maybe not tackling curbs at 45 levels of rim protection, but decent.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
I've got them in 225, they've been great. I just had a screw removed from one and they have plenty of rim protection in stock size. I mean, maybe not tackling curbs at 45 levels of rim protection, but decent.

thanks guys, appreciate the info

Other option from Michelin site on these tires is speed rating I believe, they have 92H and 92Y. From what I understand the 92Y is rated for higher speed? My stock Bridgestones are 92H. Wonder if they feel/drive differently

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
thanks guys, appreciate the info

Other option from Michelin site on these tires is speed rating I believe, they have 92H and 92Y. From what I understand the 92Y is rated for higher speed? My stock Bridgestones are 92H. Wonder if they feel/drive differently
Yeah, make sure you’re getting the XL load rating and the Y speed rating, they’ll have a stiffer sidewall and supposedly handle a little better, plus the higher speed rating, not that the standard limiter will let you hit even the H rating of 130mph.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Why do you guys think the stock ones came with 92H instead of Y etc?
Because lower speed rating tires are cheaper and have a smoother ride. Since our cars are governed to 125 mph, an H speed rating is fine, since it’s good for sustained 130mph speeds.

01LSi

Passed Driver's Ed
I replaced my AS/3+ with these about a month ago and they ride fantastic.
are the PSAS 4 noticeably better than the A/S 3+ ? I just put the eagle exhilirates on order, but open to these as a consideration...

I had the A/S 3+ on a different car (TLX w/ 19" wheels) and was not impressed.

for A/S 3+ I wasn't " wow'd " in dry, I was rather disappointed with rain handling, and snow was trash but overall everything was manageable, i was just surprised i paid so much for so little performance that I read about online.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
are the PSAS 4 noticeably better than the A/S 3+ ? I just put the eagle exhilirates on order, but open to these as a consideration...

for A/S 3+ I wasn't " wow'd " in dry, I was rather disappointed with rain handling, and snow was trash but overall everything was manageable, i was just surprised i paid so much for so little performance that I read about online.
Yes, the AS4 are better in the dry. I found the AS3+ fantastic in the rain though, not far off of PS4's in that regard, the AS4 is pretty similar. The AS4 are much, much quieter, they have a smoother ride, but still have decent sidewall feel and they're better in actual snow than the AS3+, not great of course, but better than the AS3+ which were one step above useless.

One question, for your AS3+, did you have a V or higher speed rating? The difference in the H or lower speed rated ones are pretty significant, I really wish they'd use different names for the two. The same thing continues on the AS4, totally different compound on the V and higher models, and also worth getting the XL rated sidewalls.

Last edited:

01LSi

Passed Driver's Ed
, not far off of PS4's in that regard, the AS4 is pre. The AS4 are much, much quieter, they have a smoother ride, but still have decent sidewall feel and they're better in actual snow than the AS3+, not great of course, but better than the AS3+ which were one step above useless.
The AS3+ on the TLX was 245/40/19 98Y XL BSW

are you suggesting to go choose V and higher or choose something lower than V? Would that only affect comfort since our speeds are limited anyway or would that affect actual seasonal performance as well?

But ya for whatever reason I really wasn't crazy about them like I read all the time and I'd love any addtl illumination as to why

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
The AS3+ on the TLX was 245/40/19 98Y XL BSW

are you suggesting to go choose V and higher or choose something lower than V? Would that only affect comfort since our speeds are limited anyway or would that affect actual seasonal performance as well?

But ya for whatever reason I really wasn't crazy about them like I read all the time and I'd love any addtl illumination as to why
Looks like you probably ordered the better tire anyway:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/spiderChart.jsp?ttid=266

Y is a higher speed rating than H, so you had the better tire. A higher speed rating generally means a better balanced tire and one that's better able to deal with sustained speeds, even if they're not autobahn velocities. The lower speed rated ones will generally have a softer sidewall though and ride smoother. The XL rating will also make the sidewall stiffer. But either way, the Eagle looks like an all around better tire than the AS4.

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
Debating pulling the trigger on these for the colder months here in NYC. I have PS4S' on at the moment still.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Just bought a set of AS4's a couple weeks ago to replace the OE Continental summer tires. It's quite impressive for an all season tire.

parallax

Ready to race!

The AS4s are definitely better in both dry and wet conditions. The stiffer sidewall really makes a difference in regards to turn-in and feel. It's still a generalist tire, but it's a great option to keep the fun going for those of us who live in varied climates.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
The AS4s are definitely better in both dry and wet conditions. The stiffer sidewall really makes a difference in regards to turn-in and feel. It's still a generalist tire, but it's a great option to keep the fun going for those of us who live in varied climates.
Stiffer? It’s way less stiff than the AS3+, which were abusive.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Debating pulling the trigger on these for the colder months here in NYC. I have PS4S' on at the moment still.
I don't think you'll be disappointed.
I have had the AS3+ for about 35k miles now and they have lost a bit of grip but I've been happy with them and I can probably run them for another 10k miles I'm sure.
If I dont ditch the MK7 in the next year, I will for sure be getting the AS4's.

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
I don't think you'll be disappointed.
I have had the AS3+ for about 35k miles now and they have lost a bit of grip but I've been happy with them and I can probably run them for another 10k miles I'm sure.
If I dont ditch the MK7 in the next year, I will for sure be getting the AS4's.
Trying to decide between these and the Conti DWS06+ tbh. Going to have to decide soon or else the original factory tires are going back on. Running out of time 😅