GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LSD important or not ?

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
I second that on the track and at stock power levels it’s not much of a difference time wise when you work around the limitations of each. About 1-2 seconds on a sub 2 minute lap. The way you drive with the VAQ is more rewarding though.
I never really noticed a difference on the street though.

Last edited:

ucfquattroguy

Go Kart Newbie
Crotchety old man of 33years coming in again...

For general daily driving, the VAQ is really nice. It's transparent and is more effective than you would think. Especially with the "Increased Traction" coding. Still on the OE all-season BStones, a flashing of the ASR light is super rare for me despite occasional getting frisky with the right pedal in and around traffic. The car simply "goes" as long as you're not stupid with the throttle.

As for this dick-swinging that's going on about VAQ vs. Wavetrac: How many of you are actually enough of a driver to *NEED* either one and see actual benefit on track (or on the street for that matter)? Neither option will mask poor driving (or lazy ham-fisted use of the throttle on the street). For those who haven't done any actual performance driving that is timed, the largest variable is you, the driver. I'm exaggerating a bit here to make the point, but unless you have other people describing you as being able to "drive even a shopping cart fast", this whole VAQ vs. Wavetrac argument is moot. You'll see an inherent improvement with either one regardless of ability/skill, but only those at the sharp end of the heap will be able to expose and identify each's faults,nuances, and advantages.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I didn't buy the car to mod, I did to specifically to run for the class I am in for SCCA Solo so I optioned the way I did for that reason.

If you don't track or anything you honestly don't need LSD. Plenty of people who buys GTI do not do that...

This path can be taken in any direction.
We also do not need a GTI.
A base Honda civic will work for transportation.
The answer to the OP's question really just depends on person and what money they want to spend.
No one needs a Porsche, they just want one.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
The answer to the OP's question really just depends on person and what money they want to spend.

We also already established that he already wants a GTI. So that point is moot. The question OP posed was if LSD makes a difference and to 90% of people who buys these cars, I'd say no it does not make a difference. The way its packaged now though there are plenty of reasons to move to a upper trim level cars since LSD just "comes with them". In pre 2017 car you can have a fully loaded car with no PP and that may well be how a lot would order it.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion

This is the best response to all this do you need it or not. You don't need a GTI, you could buy a golf. You don't need a golf, you can buy (insert something slower).

The assumption is if you're buying a hot hatch, you wanna experience all the performance your money buys. Hands down VAQ is worth it, not even a question. The only question is can you afford it. If not, a non-PP GTI is good enough for your budget but no means equal to one with an LSD. Its a solid compromise.

Simple maths guys.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I compromised on color (black my last choice) to get a Sport cause lights/LSD at a good price. I am happy with my choice and that's what matters.

greens

Ready to race!
Green,

you are correct about public roads and speed, but just for arguments sake why a GTI. A golf may have been good enough for you (and me!). I assume you wanted the extra performance the GTI gives....

not trying to insult, your line about personnel decision is spot on.

Mud

You assume correctly sir. I simply wanted the performance plus the gas mileage so I skipped the R and kept the money in my Porsche savings fund.

This is the best response to all this do you need it or not. You don't need a GTI, you could buy a golf. You don't need a golf, you can buy (insert something slower).

The assumption is if you're buying a hot hatch, you wanna experience all the performance your money buys. Hands down VAQ is worth it, not even a question. The only question is can you afford it. If not, a non-PP GTI is good enough for your budget but no means equal to one with an LSD. Its a solid compromise.

Simple maths guys.

Sure it's a question hence the existence of this thread. I completely disagree that it's worth it for owners that will never see a track.

I specifically did not want a sunroof. That ruled out VAQ for me. Could I have afforded it? Easily. Still have the PP just no VAQ and no care.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie

Simple maths guys.

I could live with out my mods, but I purchased this as a fun car so I added the packages since I had the funds. I like my loaded GTI.
But if budget is key then I would rather an owner spec less and not hurt the budget. Money makes things fun and it can also cause issues.
Better to keep issues down.

I also looked at the PP package as a safety item.
Better brakes and the LSD can help in rain/snow and emergency conditions.
DCC helped with comfort.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
When I bought my Mustang I got the Performance Package= rims/tires/brake/suspension upgrades. I told the sales person to use "upgraded brakes and tires" in front of Mrs Mud.

AdamGTI2

Ready to race!
That feel when I didn't know too much about GTI's when I bought mine and have all the Drivers Assistance Tech (which I NEVER USE) but no PP or DCC.

SMH - such fail lol

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
VAQ proved to be very useful when I did my track days. Still amazed it came on the MK7.5 base model here in Canada. Very happy thus far.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
When I bought my Mustang I got the Performance Package= rims/tires/brake/suspension upgrades. I told the sales person to use "upgraded brakes and tires" in front of Mrs Mud.

Very good!:cool:
Better would have been to call it a "Family Safety Package".
Then you could add an "Acceleration Control Program"

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Hi guys I will be in the market soon for a new MK7.5 and I noticed that even though all trim levels of the 2018’s had a power boost from 210hp to 220hp the only 2 models that have the limited slip are SE and Autobahn ? For budget reasons I was going to get the Mk7.5 in the S version with the DSG tranny and do some basic mods on it but was curious as to how much of a difference does having or not having the LSD make ? Should I bite the bullet and get the SE version for a few thousand more :confused:

Personally, LSD was worth the extra money. I think SE would give you the upgraded brakes as well. One does not need to track the vehicle to get the most out of these features. Not sure how long are you planning to keep the vehicle, by opting for the SE you might not have buyer's remorse in the future as well.

gti211

Passed Driver's Ed
Contemplating, dealership quoted me $24500 plus tax, title and fees for a 2018 DSG base Msrp:was $27800. Didn’t even bother asking on the SE as they were going for like $32k tried looking for a left over 2017 with PP but all the ones I came across were out of state and according to my local stealership they don’t price match. The crappy part is that there aren’t too many VW dealerships near me.