GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LSD important or not ?

gti211

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi guys I will be in the market soon for a new MK7.5 and I noticed that even though all trim levels of the 2018’s had a power boost from 210hp to 220hp the only 2 models that have the limited slip are SE and Autobahn ? For budget reasons I was going to get the Mk7.5 in the S version with the DSG tranny and do some basic mods on it but was curious as to how much of a difference does having or not having the LSD make ? Should I bite the bullet and get the SE version for a few thousand more :confused:

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Hi guys I will be in the market soon for a new MK7.5 and I noticed that even though all trim levels of the 2018’s had a power boost from 210hp to 220hp the only 2 models that have the limited slip are SE and Autobahn ? For budget reasons I was going to get the Mk7.5 in the S version with the DSG tranny and do some basic mods on it but was curious as to how much of a difference does having or not having the LSD make ? Should I bite the bullet and get the SE version for a few thousand more :confused:

It can make a huge difference. It's not so much a traditional LSD as it is an electronic Front Differential Locker. It has multiple advantages as well as disadvantages compared to a traditional LSD. That being said you can still put a traditional LSD into a GTI with the FDL. Most people who don't have it will tell you it isn't needed and doesn't do anything, but that's simply because they haven't actually driven a GTI with it. Those nay-sayers that have driven a car with it, complain it doesn't do anything, because they drive the car like it's a Prius but claim they are the next Ken Block.

Once you change the FDL to traction mode, it's night and day difference (similar from going from a punch card computer, to a modern day one, and when compared to a non-PP GTI, it's like the change from fighting with sticks and stones, to weapon of mass destruction). There is a reason the car is light years faster than the non-PP (from my point of view, 6-9 seconds a lap faster means the cars aren't even in the same class...even though obviously they are and in Motorsports you see lead times like that a lot).

Another tip is to not listen to anything anyone says if they don't have the 2.0T. The other engines are completely different and the same rules and upgrades don't apply. Displacement is king unless you care about MPG.

Last edited:

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI

I 1000% agree with Wrath and Tears about the diff. Coming from a MKV GTI with no differential to having the VAQ differential in my Mk7.5 it is a game changer, especially since I have mine set to "increased traction". If you can stretch your budget for one of the 2 models with the differential I absolutely would suggest it.

Last edited:

GaryKYLee

Passed Driver's Ed
I 1000% agree with Wrath and Tears about the diff. Coming from a MKV GTI with no differential to having the VAQ differential in my Mk7.5 it is a game changer, especially since I have mine set to "increased traction". If you can stretch your budget for one of the 2 models with the differential I absolutely would suggest it.

+1 for Wrath and Tears

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36

+1 for Wrath and Tears

Thanks guys, and I apologize for perhaps coming off a bit harsh. It seems like a bunch of users hate on the PP for no reason except the fact they don't have it. A lot of users try to compare it to upgrading brakes and the differential to "racing" standards, claiming that it is the far superior move, with out mentioning the fact that it costs twice as much than to just get the PP from the factory. To upgrade to the PP parts cost like five times as much (to do after the fact), so at that point makes far more sense to go aftermarket.

gti211

Passed Driver's Ed
Awesome thanks for the information and tips. Wondering why VW did not make it standard across the board on all Mk7.5 models sucks having to spend like $3k more for the SE model.

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
Awesome thanks for the information and tips. Wondering why VW did not make it standard across the board on all Mk7.5 models sucks having to spend like $3k more for the SE model.
That's the answer lol. They want you to spend more. At least you'll have the Lightning Package (aka LP, which will have LED headlights) as well in the SE.

Edit: more importantly, LP comes with AFS (adaptive front lighting system), so the low beam swivels as you turn the wheel at a minimum speed threshold. That alone should make most of the price difference worth it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Lol guess your right, thought the Mk7.5 already had the new lights and bigger brakes standard ?

The larger brakes are standard across all trims I do believe but not the LED lights. Here in Canada there are only 2 trim levels and only the Autobahn gets the LED's and diff.

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
Lol guess your right, thought the Mk7.5 already had the new lights and bigger brakes standard ?
New exterior light designs, but the headlight on the S is still halogen. And yeah I think the brakes are the same on all trims now.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

ClubSandwiches

Passed Driver's Ed
The only reason I specifically shopped around for a non-PP was because my plans involved installing an aftermarket LSD in. I’m a fan of mechanical LSD’s. If you’re not planning on doing something like that I’d highly recommend the electronic diff. Volkswagen got this one right. At the very least take a drive in both versions if possible before making a decision.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Do they not make the Sport in the 7.5, or are there other options you'd like that the Sport doesn't have?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
A lot of users try to compare it to upgrading brakes and the differential to "racing" standards, claiming that it is the far superior move, with out mentioning the fact that it costs twice as much than to just get the PP from the factory. To upgrade to the PP parts cost like five times as much (to do after the fact), so at that point makes far more sense to go aftermarket.

You might be talking about me...;)

I however have been purely trying to get the exact facts about the VAQ unit out there due to VW marketing dept (& only this dept) calling it a mechanical dif...which has lead to huge confusion..which is why I did that huge post on the VAQ unit...

I have always stated that for the money the "PP" option is a no brainer....however if you want racecar/track car & don't mind spending the money then don't get the "PP" & fit lighter & better aftermarket brakes & LSD...

horses for courses..:cool:

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
No Sport in 2018.....and unless it is a $ stretch go for the upgrade. I'm finding as I learn to trust my car more in hard corners you just give it some go pedal in the middle of the corners and it will tuck into the corner nicely at speeds you should not be going.

If OP wasn't in S. FL I would suggest it's prob. better in snow too

Hoon

Autocross Champion
No Sport in 2018.....and unless it is a $ stretch go for the upgrade. I'm finding as I learn to trust my car more in hard corners you just give it some go pedal in the middle of the corners and it will tuck into the corner nicely at speeds you should not be going.

If OP wasn't in S. FL I would suggest it's prob. better in snow too

That sucks.

Nice to have a base model option that has LP and PP...at least that's my preference.

I really have zero interest in any car without an LSD. I love the brakes but I haven't driven a non-pp MK7, so I can't compare. Chances are they're fine on the street and I could live without the brakes, but there's no living without a LSD/locking diff for me.

Braking the spinning wheel is not even close to the same thing.