GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Let's talk jacking points and jack stands...again

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
If not too much for anyone, but can a photo be posted of where on the subframe a jack stand can be placed?

I've held off rotating tires for a while now. Being so new to the GTI platform i don't want to mess anything up. I used to be able to jack my prior car from the middle front sub and/or rear differential, placing the stands on the pinch welds.

With the GTI, i've read you can't lift from the sub so pinch welds it is, but then i have no clue where to put the stands.

Thank you.

I believe I used these spots (photo credit: not me)

pcguru83

Ready to race!
This thread has all the details on the OEM (Audi) solution, I have done it to mine and it is a good solution, should come as standard on the car

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=269686.0
This looks great, thanks. I just put some feelers out there to two local Audi dealers to see what their availability and pricing looks like. Can you use a normal floor jack on these directly? Or do you put something in between the jack and these jack pads?

I believe I used these spots (photo credit: not me)

This is very helpful, wherever it came from. :)

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
I place my jack stands on the horns for the control arm at an angle (shown in yellow). The top of the stands sorta "key-in" here. Is it the best way? I dunno, it's just what I do.

Some more sorta on-topic advice:

One of my jack handles will pivot far enough forward that it can contact the car. I have an old rag wrapped around and zip tied halfway down the handle, so I don't accidentally dent the car or mess up the paint. Some foam pipe insulation would be more elegant...just haven't done it yet.

Last edited:

pcguru83

Ready to race!
Heard back from one of the Audi dealers nearby about the OEM parts. Wow, is that some expensive rubber/plastic! Here's what I was quoted:

8V0 825 271 (Qty:1) - $38.00/each
8V0 825 272 (Qty:1) - $38.00/each
8V0 802 845 (Qty:1) - $60.00/each
8V0 802 846 (Qty:1) - $60.00/each
8V0 802 847A (Qty:2) - $67.50/each
8V0 804 631 (Qty:2) - $60.00/each

TOTAL: $451(!!)

Unless I'm missing something really obvious, don't think I'll be doing that. Those ECS jack pads are looking pretty good now! Nevermind the fact that apparently that last part number was supposedly only available at one dealership in the entire country, so that one probably would have had to be shipped.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32

Garynovis

Ready to race!
Lol, there is something very wrong there

The whole kit cost me £52.76 (just looked on my bank statement, don't have the invoice any more unfortunately)

Gary

Heard back from one of the Audi dealers nearby about the OEM parts. Wow, is that some expensive rubber/plastic! Here's what I was quoted:

8V0 825 271 (Qty:1) - $38.00/each
8V0 825 272 (Qty:1) - $38.00/each
8V0 802 845 (Qty:1) - $60.00/each
8V0 802 846 (Qty:1) - $60.00/each
8V0 802 847A (Qty:2) - $67.50/each
8V0 804 631 (Qty:2) - $60.00/each

TOTAL: $451(!!)

Unless I'm missing something really obvious, don't think I'll be doing that. Those ECS jack pads are looking pretty good now! Nevermind the fact that apparently that last part number was supposedly only available at one dealership in the entire country, so that one probably would have had to be shipped.

pcguru83

Ready to race!
Lol, there is something very wrong there

The whole kit cost me £52.76 (just looked on my bank statement, don't have the invoice any more unfortunately)

Gary
I had a feeling no one was actually paying that much. Very strange. Maybe I need to reach out to a different dealer and see what they have to say. If anyone has gotten these recently, I'd love to hear about your experience. These look great, I'd really like to pick some up, but not even at the price they are at ECS Tuning...

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Yeah, that is where the jacking point is

question is though, when the jack is there, where do you put the rear axle stands.....

Gary

No, there is a pinch weld back there too. That's the proper jacking point (unless you have the pads installed, but then why would you have asked about the rear?). You can then drop the car down and lay the stand on the spot I pictured from Kevin's thread.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
If anyone wants to assemble the kit from an online source and save money from ECS, you can use http://www.audiusaparts.com/oe-audi/8v0804631.

Just swap out the part number at the end of the URL there. Came out to $178+shipping. Not a ton better but still some better. Pretty absurd cost for some plastic bits IMO.

I'll stick to the hockey puck and pinch welds.

pcguru83

Ready to race!
No, there is a pinch weld back there too. That's the proper jacking point (unless you have the pads installed, but then why would you have asked about the rear?). You can then drop the car down and lay the stand on the spot I pictured from Kevin's thread.
What is that spot that is pictured there? Hard to get context from that photo. Is that a frame rail? It's safe to place a jack stand there, even without any jack pads installed?