GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JD_MK7 // Urban Joke Tail Light VCDS Tweaks

JD_MK7

Ready to race!
Question: if you do any of the Urbanjoke or Kencha coding tweaks, what happens when you swap your tail lights to the Euro ones?

Would you have to put all your default settings back before swapping the lights out?

Also, are there any special code tweaks specifically for the Euro tail lights?

Great Question! To be honest, we aren't exactly sure, but we have a pretty good idea that it is not going to work well. I think some LED coding is right around the corner, but currently, we don't offer anything. Stay tuned... One of us may be getting LED tail lights pretty soon.

irebound

Digital Driver
Car(s)
06 BMP GTI
Cheers to high qual-qual cheap LED(s) ....

For the price, you can't go wrong with either of these. Always buy emitting color: red. if you don't your brake lights will start to look pink. I think we concluded the 2835's were maybe marginally brighter than the 5050's.

http://goo.gl/jsU3ve - 5050 chipset <-- These fit really nice and snug.

http://goo.gl/x228Vm - 2835 chipset

I ordered 6 of the 2835 LEDs and all of them were really loose fitting. I had light out errors after only couple days and ended up having to reinstall. I don't recommend them at all.

Is there anyway I can make them fit more snug?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

UrbanJoke

I ordered 6 of the 2835 LEDs and all of them were really loose fitting. I had light out errors after only couple days and ended up having to reinstall. I don't recommend them at all.

Is there anyway I can make them fit more snug?

That's a downside of the 2835's. Position the wires inward and pull them out a tad and you should be set. Also bending the base of the connector inward a bit should help. Same thing happened to mine, but have since been problem free for months.

Fitment on the 5050's are much tighter, but not quite as bright. Which I think we explained.

Galaxy S7 Edge

rbk

Ready to race!
has anyone done any coding with the oem led taillights?
would be pretty epic to get something like this even if only alternating signals with the amber lights similar to the Mustang.

irebound

Digital Driver
Car(s)
06 BMP GTI
That's a downside of the 2835's. Position the wires inward and pull them out a tad and you should be set. Also bending the base of the connector inward a bit should help. Same thing happened to mine, but have since been problem free for months.

Fitment on the 5050's are much tighter, but not quite as bright. Which I think we explained.

Galaxy S7 Edge

Thank you for the tip. The lights have been good for almost a month now. No more errors!

vigti

Passed Driver's Ed
I've had my LEDs in for over a month now and besides a few minor issues (the reverse LEDs randomly showing "Light out" but pulling out and popping back in solves it) I really like them! You can check them out in my build thread in my sig.

Now I'm on a mission to find amber LEDs now, the only non-LED exterior bulbs left on my GTI. Does anyone know of a good set from AliExpress that they've tried?

VictorHuge

Hey all, I would like to install Phillips vision 7440 LEDs on my mk7 GSW but i'm curious if selecting the urbanjoke v2 led option on obdeleven will mean no errors, anyone know? The phillips option is cheaper by A LOT and i'd feel better going with a huge brand like phillips that is stocked in canadian tire.

Last edited:

bdot

Passed Driver's Ed
No I was quite happy. I have V1 loaded and I really like it. However, I was noticing that my outer tails would be, when lights kicked on, at 127 all the time. Under breaking or not, they would be on all the time. I just reoriented the alpha channel order to that the outer tails would return to 35 once the brakes or signal werent being used.

Hey this is happening to me how did you fix it? I don't quite understand your previous post, how do you change the priority order? I only have OBDEleven btw.

edit: I resolved this issue.

For anyone wondering, I used the tweak guide https://goo.gl/s0iIpe and had to change line 6 (Dimmerwert AB) for each light to value of 100.

Last edited:

JD_MK7

Ready to race!
Hi,

UrbanJoke is working on v3 right now... Does anyone know what channel controls the side view mirror lights?

Thx
JD

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Not sure if this matters: but when I did the app for UJ v1 on obd11, the inners do not light up as running lights as shown in the video. I did fix this however with coding. Not sure who handles that issue.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
I don't because it doesn't show a brake light with the turn signal on.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Not the side that's blinking.