GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JB4 Logging, stacking and Map 6 Discussion

A3_8V_BLACK

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
AUDI A3 8V
No wonder you're able to pull off the timing numbers you are.
Did you mean there is no delay in IGN_2, 3, 4 and 5?

Follow the logs with Fuel Bias 50 between 5000 to 7000rpm!!
It seems that the AFR has improved, but the turbo result was not satisfactory!!

I would like to understand why when I log on map 0 the pressure of the ECU_PSI for example at 4040rpm ECU_PSI = 23PSI, and when it is on the map6 in the same rotation range ECU_PSI= 20psi.
I think I have turbo efficiency problems.

https://datazap.me/u/djdouglaslopes/log-1643480327?log=0&data=1-2-3-4-11-18

https://datazap.me/u/djdouglaslopes/log-1643480835?log=0&data=1-2-3-4-18

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Did you mean there is no delay in IGN_2, 3, 4 and 5?

Follow the logs with Fuel Bias 50 between 5000 to 7000rpm!!
It seems that the AFR has improved, but the turbo result was not satisfactory!!

I would like to understand why when I log on map 0 the pressure of the ECU_PSI for example at 4040rpm ECU_PSI = 23PSI, and when it is on the map6 in the same rotation range ECU_PSI= 20psi.
I think I have turbo efficiency problems.

https://datazap.me/u/djdouglaslopes/log-1643480327?log=0&data=1-2-3-4-11-18

https://datazap.me/u/djdouglaslopes/log-1643480835?log=0&data=1-2-3-4-18

You should lower the fuel bias in the lower RPMs also. Looks a bit better from 5000-7000 though. Keep it there.

You shouldn't be looking at ECU_PSI. Not sure why people do that. That value is the number the JB4 is telling the car the boost is to raise the boost. What you should be looking at is DME_BT which is the boost value the car wants to run.

A3_8V_BLACK

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
AUDI A3 8V
You should lower the fuel bias in the lower RPMs also. Looks a bit better from 5000-7000 though. Keep it there.

You shouldn't be looking at ECU_PSI. Not sure why people do that. That value is the number the JB4 is telling the car the boost is to raise the boost. What you should be looking at is DME_BT which is the boost value the car wants to run.
Come on, so I should lower the FUEL BIAS to 50 at all revs, correct?

About DME_BT and ECU_PSI I really don't understand......but anyway!!!

What do you think about AFR, is it still rich?? or is it safe to ride!!!

I made a log almost flat, with 24 and 25 psi up to 7000rpm, you can see that at 5000rpm the turbo pressure starts to drop on every pull!!! I'm thinking that the tuner that made my car changed the wastgate setpoint, that is, even the JB4 asking for more boost, the wastgate opens up from a certain point (I believe at 5000 onwards).
Can I login to wastegate through JB4??

https://datazap.me/u/djdouglaslopes/log-1643505711?log=0&data=1-2-3-4

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
You'd be very safe if you just got the AFRs to be around 12.2-12.0 through the whole pull. There is really no reason for you to be as rich as you are at your your boost levels and with so much ethanol in your gas.

The JB4 doesn't log enough parameters to really trouble shoot if it's a hardware or software issue. Is this an IS20? If yes, 20 PSI at 6000 RPM is really not bad at all.

A3_8V_BLACK

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
AUDI A3 8V
You'd be very safe if you just got the AFRs to be around 12.2-12.0 through the whole pull. There is really no reason for you to be as rich as you are at your your boost levels and with so much ethanol in your gas.

The JB4 doesn't log enough parameters to really trouble shoot if it's a hardware or software issue. Is this an IS20? If yes, 20 PSI at 6000 RPM is really not bad at all.
My turbo is a hybrid IS20, similar to an IS38 but with the IS20 housing, understand?? Here it is called IS28.....heheheheh

But even so, I will lower the FUEL BIAS to 50 in all ranges and test it!!

Is your car stacked too?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
My turbo is a hybrid IS20, similar to an IS38 but with the IS20 housing, understand?? Here it is called IS28.....heheheheh

But even so, I will lower the FUEL BIAS to 50 in all ranges and test it!!

Is your car stacked too?

I don't use my JB4 anymore (still connected but Map 0) but always had it stacked on a APR tune when I was using it.

Don't bother viewing the ECU PSI anymore, the DME_BT is the boost your flash want to run. The ECU PSI is pretty meaningless.

Your running a different turbo than OEM, and also running a flash creates a lot of variables which is going to be very hard to troubleshoot with the JB4. You should start by making sure your wastegate is properly calibrated I guess. It's very possible the base flash just doesn't have enough wastegate up there to create more then 20 psi. The JB4 can't control the wastegate on the VW/Audi platform so you're kind of stuck there.

A3_8V_BLACK

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
AUDI A3 8V
I don't use my JB4 anymore (still connected but Map 0) but always had it stacked on a APR tune when I was using it.

Don't bother viewing the ECU PSI anymore, the DME_BT is the boost your flash want to run. The ECU PSI is pretty meaningless.

Your running a different turbo than OEM, and also running a flash creates a lot of variables which is going to be very hard to troubleshoot with the JB4. You should start by making sure your wastegate is properly calibrated I guess. It's very possible the base flash just doesn't have enough wastegate up there to create more then 20 psi. The JB4 can't control the wastegate on the VW/Audi platform so you're kind of stuck there.
Nice....When you stacked the JB4 with APR, did you use OEM turbo (IS20)??

So, as I said, the flash that is in the car's ECU, for sure, has the wastage setpoint modified, so it can't pour more than 20psi!!

But what worries me are the results of the AFR...let me see if I'm right

AFR RICH (11, 10...)= NOT TOO MUCH RISK OF EXPLOSION

AFR LEAN (14....15....) = HIGH RISK OF EXPLOSION

Would that be more or less?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Nice....When you stacked the JB4 with APR, did you use OEM turbo (IS20)??

So, as I said, the flash that is in the car's ECU, for sure, has the wastage setpoint modified, so it can't pour more than 20psi!!

But what worries me are the results of the AFR...let me see if I'm right

AFR RICH (11, 10...)= NOT TOO MUCH RISK OF EXPLOSION

AFR LEAN (14....15....) = HIGH RISK OF EXPLOSION

Would that be more or less?

I have an Alltrack so I had APR Stack on a IS12, and APR Stack on IS20.

Yeah it's very possible you won't be able to make more than 20 psi., (check with George maybe) but that's plenty of cylinder pressure if you're running 11 degrees of advance on a 2.0!

You're just wasting a lot more fuel than you need to. You're making the fuel pumps work more than they need to. When you're overly rich, the engine just doesn't seem to have the same pep either. You should be very safe at AFR 12.0.

A3_8V_BLACK

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
AUDI A3 8V

Yeah it's very possible you won't be able to make more than 20 psi., (check with George maybe) but that's plenty of cylinder pressure if you're running 11 degrees of advance on a 2.0!

You're just wasting a lot more fuel than you need to. You're making the fuel pumps work more than they need to. When you're overly rich, the engine just doesn't seem to have the same pep either. You should be very safe at AFR 12.0.
Really here in Brazil the AUDI 1.8 8V comes with a 1.8 engine and IS12 turbine.....usually many people upgrade to IS20, but the gearbox that comes with these models gives a lot of problems (S-TRONIC 7 CLUTCH DRY), and don't exist here with manual gearbox!!!

Why don't you use JB4 anymore?? Changed ECU flash to stg3???

Do you think that if I change the FUEL BIAS to 50 in the whole range, I can get to 12??

A3_8V_BLACK

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
AUDI A3 8V

In this photo, it is the value only stg2 E50 with IS20!!! Came a very good power!!
I didn't have the opportunity to run the car through the dynamometer with the current configuration (STACKED JB4), but I think it should come to about 320hp. what do you think?

Attachments

• PHOTO-2022-01-29-16-50-50.jpg
    PHOTO-2022-01-29-16-50-50.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 52

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
In this photo, it is the value only stg2 E50 with IS20!!! Came a very good power!!
I didn't have the opportunity to run the car through the dynamometer with the current configuration (STACKED JB4), but I think it should come to about 320hp. what do you think?

The "general" rule is usually each PSI you run over base is about +10 HP if you're within efficiency of the turbo. So take your BOOST value and subtract DME_BT and then multiply that number by 10 and you will get a ballpark of how much power over your base tune at that RPM.

You probably won't understand this phrase, but it's "bro math". Just consider it a very general rule.

A3_8V_BLACK

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
AUDI A3 8V
The "general" rule is usually each PSI you run over base is about +10 HP if you're within efficiency of the turbo. So take your BOOST value and subtract DME_BT and then multiply that number by 10 and you will get a ballpark of how much power over your base tune at that RPM.

You probably won't understand this phrase, but it's "bro math". Just consider it a very general rule.
I understood!! Must be giving a gain of more or less 50cv peak!!
I talked to George, and I'm going to drop to 50 FUEL BIAS on every track, I'm waiting for him to answer the email!!