GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JB4 Logging, stacking and Map 6 Discussion

dub_guy

Ready to race!
Sorry, guess I got it mixed up with OBD11. Is it JB4+USB that only works with Android and not iOS, or is that compatible with both as well?

USB + IOS won't work. IOS doesn't have the stack in it to support the serial device (same reason it won't work with the OBD11)

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
For some reason I thought you were 6mt. Guess I'll do plugs at like 15k miles or something, see if they make any difference. I am running a snowguard delete and AFE drop in for the time being. You're short shifting just a bit in manual I'd assume, since I don't think Sport or Drive would let you go full throttle in third at 3.2k rpm without a downshift.

I always log in manual mode with ESC defeated (well as much as you can with the longpress, no vagcom or obd11 changes).

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
What IC and Dp do you have? What do your map 6 settings look like and that my next step is to make a good map for e30

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Integrated Engineering IC
MAP downpipe, catted and resonated

1500 2.0
2000 3.0
2500 4.0
3000 4.5
3500 5.5
4000 6.0
4500 7.0
5000 8.5
5500 8.0
6000 7.5
6500 7.0
7000 6.5

FOL=60
Nanny turned off (6 cyl timing=1)

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
So reading a bit more,

I installed 4 new Brisk Silver plugs and did a couple logs. One of the better looking logs ever on my car. Peak boost of 26.7 with a taper to 17.7 with 9.5° of advance at 6500 RPM on 92 octane gas.

http://www.datazap.me/u/perry01/ho-...11-18-25-26-27-28&trim=0&tmin=8.82&tmax=74.86

I'm not sure if it was the plugs or the new gas station I used.

Notice how the trims go up as the timing increase. More trim more power.

You JB4 should ship with a fuel open loop value of 40. The maximum you can go is 60. Increasing the value will lower trim levels by increasing rail pressure. Dropping the value will increase trims values."

What I see is Diggs with Trims in the 43-47 range @ FOL=60 above 5300rpm, and great timing.

Meanwhile my Trims are 33-37 @ FOL=50 in the same RPM range, and slightly worse timing.

Counterintuitive that my trims are lower but seems like logically I should try FOL=40 to get higher trims and higher timing.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
So reading a bit more,

Counterintuitive that my trims are lower but seems like logically I should try FOL=40 to get higher trims and higher timing.

George also goes on to say that we typically don't want to tune for higher trims... Check with the #1 Master himself(sorry Diggs, you're #2), George, for the next step.

edit: DemiGod, i sent you a PM

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion

Timing will come out of better fuel. You shouldn't lower FOL to try to get higher trims. FOL helps you not run out of fuel when you are pushing the limits, but does not directly translate to power gains from what I have read. I run the lowest FOL I can for my given fuel to lessen the stress on the pump.

FWIW, my daily settings are similar to Diggs' and I usually cap out around 8-9 degrees of advance. I run 45 FOL on 92 oct.

When I blend to E30ish I have to up my FOL to 60 or 65, and I can run much more aggressive settings and still get 10-12 degrees of advance.

From what I have gathered, the JB4 doesn't have a way for us to directly modify the timing tables, so you shouldn't be tuning for higher advance. What I look for instead is a reduction in the standard advance (ie, I was making 10 degrees at 6200 before, I added 1 psi and now I'm at 6 degrees; better lower the boost).

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
So reading a bit more,

What I see is Diggs with Trims in the 43-47 range @ FOL=60 above 5300rpm, and great timing.

Meanwhile my Trims are 33-37 @ FOL=50 in the same RPM range, and slightly worse timing.

Go set your car to absolute like my log (easy to mimic by looking at target), set FOL to 60 and run a log. Turn off the nanny too. I bet you'll see trims go into the 40s. ;)

I think people misinterpret what George is saying there. The trims are high BECAUSE of the boost request and also because it has to bias more because of the inefficiencies of E85. More fuel is needed to be injected the more E85 you add. That is why most cars (like my Saab for instance) usually need larger injectors to run straight E85.

https://datazap.me/u/diggs24/log-1506887737?log=0&data=1-21

This is why trims are sky high. That's like setting additive to +10 from 4500 to redline. I definitely do not drive around daily like this.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Timing will come out of better fuel. You shouldn't lower FOL to try to get higher trims. FOL helps you not run out of fuel when you are pushing the limits, but does not directly translate to power gains from what I have read. I run the lowest FOL I can for my given fuel to lessen the stress on the pump.

FWIW, my daily settings are similar to Diggs' and I usually cap out around 8-9 degrees of advance. I run 45 FOL on 92 oct.

When I blend to E30ish I have to up my FOL to 60 or 65, and I can run much more aggressive settings and still get 10-12 degrees of advance.

From what I have gathered, the JB4 doesn't have a way for us to directly modify the timing tables, so you shouldn't be tuning for higher advance. What I look for instead is a reduction in the standard advance (ie, I was making 10 degrees at 6200 before, I added 1 psi and now I'm at 6 degrees; better lower the boost).

Spot on.