GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS38 as a "stock" replacement

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I was just curious...

If one were to swap the IS20 with the 38 and keep everything stock (i.e: tune), would there be an advantage?

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
APR has a IS38 file that uses the stock downpipe, its actually pretty awesome they did that.

drrck

Go Kart Champion
You can swap it without a tune, but it'll be pretty much crap IMO. Boost profiles are different, DV control will be an issue with the ECU.

You could even experience a loss in performance over stock.

Kyle_A3

Ready to race!
Multiple people, including myself, ran the is38 swap for a while without a specific tune for it. While it undoubtedly gave us all extra power without the tune and none of us had any real issue, I wouldn't recommend it. The waste gate actuator and dv are compatible with the stock ecu and your car is smart enough to adjust for afrs. However you put the vehicle in a reactionary mode because it is constantly getting more air than it expects under boost without a tune. Because of this you will see the is38 occasionally just dump boost randomly especially under medium throttle.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Thanks for the replies gents.

Where can one find the latest revision IS20 as a replacement? Say I want to do a preemptive replacement myself and not through the dealer.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Why not just replace it with an IS38 and run the Eurodyne file? I can't see this being a warranty issue because you are willing to do the work yourself.

If I was to replace the turbo either a IS38 is going in or a Borg-Warner kit when APR gets around to releasing it.

Boost3d.GTI

Ready to race!
If you give it a little bit, I believe JB might have an option for IS38. That way, you are not flashing your car but you can still utilize the IS38. Might want to check with George on that.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
If you give it a little bit, I believe JB might have an option for IS38. That way, you are not flashing your car but you can still utilize the IS38. Might want to check with George on that.

George had the turbo going into their GTI soon, pretty interesting to see what thats going to look like.