GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intercooler performance

kornsined

Go Kart Newbie
good color on the Unitronic also, I was considering that one previously since $200 cheaper than APR but heard a few instances of other people having the same issues with it not controlling IATs well with even smaller hybrids
Honestly up here I don’t think I’d see a huge benefit in switching at this point. It doesn’t get Texas hot here and I don’t track the car. I’m losing some hp up top but really i don’t think we’re talking 30hp on pump gas. Then again what do I know.

Navi

Autocross Champion
Interesting... We would all appreciate the testing data. If the IE cooler was causing the high IATs off boost like we were seeing, that thing is a piece of junk. I feel comfortable saying that then. :)

yeah once I finish relocating the oil filter and running all the lines... The worst part is making the AN lines lol.

vegatune

Passed Driver's Ed
Bar and plate are not necessarily better. The reason people use bar and plates over tube and fin is size and more customizable. Biggest problem is tube and fin cores are next to impossible to find over 3.5 inches thick. Bar and plates do take more of a beating and you can make them whatever size you want. Like somebody said here apr has the same bar and plate design as ets. Ets uses bell cores for there intercoolers. They are very good cores and the only core I have seen personally out perform those bell cores are the Garrett ones. You can’t even see through the core with the Garrett’s. The problem with Garrett’s is that they block the air flow a lot so I don’t think vw sandwiched intercooler with a garret would work good. It might over heat the car but evos have a lot of space up front so no issues with them. Both Apr and AMS Intercooler are going to do the job but I would go with the ams for this reasons on a vw.
- you don’t need a thick core
- lighter weight
- they recover from heat soak quicker
- they allow more flow to the radiator
- apr isn’t making ait any cooler than ams.
- less pressure drop

vegatune

Passed Driver's Ed
thanks. why do you feel the AMS has less pressure drop than APR?
thanks. why do you feel the AMS has less pressure drop than APR?

Just the nature of the off set fin set up on there bar and plate . The more off set fins. The better they cool but also adds resistance/ pressure drop so it’s a balancing act. Tube and fin also have leaking issues so just depends on there r&d.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Sounds like the answer to my question, if any of them stood out more than the rest, is AMS.

Gptuners

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I like the idea of a FMIC. One thing I haven't seen in any of the install videos is someone removing the old intercooler- they've left it in. I feel like you could take it out, and make use of the extra space by getting a better/thicker radiator.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I like the idea of a FMIC. One thing I haven't seen in any of the install videos is someone removing the old intercooler- they've left it in. I feel like you could take it out, and make use of the extra space by getting a better/thicker radiator.
GTI Jake is working with a company to provide just that, a larger radiator core for our cars....

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
GTI Jake is working with a company to provide just that, a larger radiator core for our cars....
Just thinking out loud here, but if you had a sufficient sized FMIC, and a larger radiator, doesn't it stand to reason that the poor little a/c evaporator would be less stressed too?

Andrewbens

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTi S 6 Speed
Any recommendations that’s good for the money? Deep motor is sold out and others take a month or 2

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
yeah once I finish relocating the oil filter and running all the lines... The worst part is making the AN lines lol.
Are you not using the iabed adapter for the oil cooler? And why are you making your own lines?

Navi

Autocross Champion
Are you not using the iabed adapter for the oil cooler? And why are you making your own lines?

No. Not using the iabed adapter. I'm using the VWR adapter from the VWR oil cooler kit. But only that one piece. Then a setrab spacer with a local billet take off plate. Also using a setrab thermostatic sandwich plate and I've relocated my oil filter to under the car. Hence why I've made all my lines. AN-10 fittings.