GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Indium Gray Metallic Money Pit Mk7.5R

scrllock

Autocross Champion
1653186183625.png

Messed with some power tools, threw a res delete on my stock catback to toy around with replacing the Leyo catback. Unfortunately despite this definitely being the trackslag 3" res delete pipe, it's not quite right for the downpipe. I suspect someone had to do something to get the downpipe to fit and now there's some extra, larger piping I can't get off, at least on ramps. Put it all back together so I wasn't dragging the downpipe to cars and coffee. Will just have a shop deal with it whenever I source a different catback.

In the meantime, have some time booked at Grattan next weekend, pumped to try out the new stuff before I finish with the rest of the suspension.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Got a bit of work to do before Grattan this weekend, bare minimum bleeding some fresh RBF600. Maybe putting my Schroth back in, but I'd rather deal with brakes than getting the interior trim to snap back in.

Managed to snap up a v2 AWE track exhaust, if I can get it to fit onto my trackslag without the sawz-all or a welder I might throw that on for the track for laughs (grattan is basically the wild west, self-tech and no noise restrictions). Kinda expect it to be miserable though, so I have a Vibrant 17950 on the way, will get that welded in, likely in the mid-pipe. And then once I succumb to admitting that's still probably a bad idea, I'll pick up a switchpath conversion. Then weld a GESI cat in. etc.

PXL_20220527_032207032.jpeg

Should hopefully get the full coilover setup on the schedule now that the Vorshlag plates are finally here. My spare room has been taken over by suspension parts, will be great to get it all out and done. I've still got a bunch of bits sitting around, brembos, "counterfeit" coil ground kit, fuel line/filter project, some aero pieces (just waiting for exhaust). Waiting on my friend at the dealer to hook me up with all of the harnesses and whatnot so I can start thinking about seats.

Helped a friend put some Grid Qs into his Evora, he ended up with a couple extra slightly dinged up units in the process. Might buy them off him since I care a lot less about some dings and scratches in my poverty-spec Golf.

1653622271716.png

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Grattan was a blast, saw some cool cars, met some cool people. Managed to check out most of the interesting stuff (i.e. not a mustang/vette).

1653920062813.png

Miata with a Sadev sequential. Asked the owner about rebuild/service intervals. Says he doesn't want to deal with it himself, just the fluid change requires filling a specific amount of fluid, letting it get to a specific temp, adding more... I laughed.

1653920599946.png

K20 Elise. PO was a honda tech, everything looked immaculate.

Waiting for video from a friend of my car on the straight. But the car was great, peak air temps were 82F, oil temps never got over 243 (logged, not gauge). v730s usually lasted 6 or 7 laps before greasing. Best run of the day was cut short when a guy with an auto ATS4 killed his car. Trans overheated, overheard one of the GM guys (there are a ton of them here, GM engineers track their vettes) saying he might have crank-walked it as well? Bummer. But not a car you take to a track like this and go hard on, especially tuned with no track prep.
One of the BMW guys moved up from an e46 m3 to an M240iR (the BMW motorsports off the shelf race car, basically an OG M2 motor with a m240i ZF8 trans, plus full cage, over-fenders, aero, etc.) He had the car tuned, no other power mods. Was in limp mode all day. Made me re-appreciate getting out of a BMW.

Big changes since last fall: more camber, better tires, front sway, linear springs, and the GT2260s. Massive difference. Lost about 10mph in the straight vs the XL, but the response coming out of T10/T1 is so much nicer. Spent most of the day stuck behind a '64 C-10 (lol), a pair of GT350s, and the aforementioned ATS. No point-by, no pass, and lots of the domestic guys are kinda dick-ish to import owners. Towards the end of the day the corner workers just give up on passing flags too. It is what it is.

Might do Gingerman next, we'll see. Got a few little things to fix, like replacing the catback, figuring what's up with the noise my rear right caliper is making on T5. Might see about getting the CSF/bar-tek coolers in before then.

All in all, awesome day. Can't recommend Grattan enough. View of T3/4:

1653922407477.png

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
Killer view of T3 👍

How long did the V730’s take to get up to temp before pushing around 8/10 or so?

Malttv5

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 mk7 R , 2015 Po
Grattan was a blast, saw some cool cars, met some cool people. Managed to check out most of the interesting stuff (i.e. not a mustang/vette).

View attachment 250805

Miata with a Sadev sequential. Asked the owner about rebuild/service intervals. Says he doesn't want to deal with it himself, just the fluid change requires filling a specific amount of fluid, letting it get to a specific temp, adding more... I laughed.

View attachment 250806

K20 Elise. PO was a honda tech, everything looked immaculate.

Waiting for video from a friend of my car on the straight. But the car was great, peak air temps were 82F, oil temps never got over 243 (logged, not gauge). v730s usually lasted 6 or 7 laps before greasing. Best run of the day was cut short when a guy with an auto ATS4 killed his car. Trans overheated, overheard one of the GM guys (there are a ton of them here, GM engineers track their vettes) saying he might have crank-walked it as well? Bummer. But not a car you take to a track like this and go hard on, especially tuned with no track prep.
One of the BMW guys moved up from an e46 m3 to an M240iR (the BMW motorsports off the shelf race car, basically an OG M2 motor with a m240i ZF8 trans, plus full cage, over-fenders, aero, etc.) He had the car tuned, no other power mods. Was in limp mode all day. Made me re-appreciate getting out of a BMW.

Big changes since last fall: more camber, better tires, front sway, linear springs, and the GT2260s. Massive difference. Lost about 10mph in the straight vs the XL, but the response coming out of T10/T1 is so much nicer. Spent most of the day stuck behind a '64 C-10 (lol), a pair of GT350s, and the aforementioned ATS. No point-by, no pass, and lots of the domestic guys are kinda dick-ish to import owners. Towards the end of the day the corner workers just give up on passing flags too. It is what it is.

Might do Gingerman next, we'll see. Got a few little things to fix, like replacing the catback, figuring what's up with the noise my rear right caliper is making on T5. Might see about getting the CSF/bar-tek coolers in before then.

All in all, awesome day. Can't recommend Grattan enough. View of T3/4:

View attachment 250808
The owner of the company who tuned my car is about to supercharge his K24 powered Lotus .
Cheers

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Killer view of T3 👍

How long did the V730’s take to get up to temp before pushing around 8/10 or so?
3rd lap is usually where they're golden based on my data. Then get about 4 laps of pushing it. Very clear when they've had enough. So far my impression is they're a great HPDE tire. If they last the full summer I'll be happy with them enough to replace them with 255s.

The owner of the company who tuned my car is about to supercharge his K24 powered Lotus .
Cheers
I think this guy might do that before he puts his blower on. They're just so cheap. A boosted 2.4 in a 1900lb car? Damn.

Got the AWE installed with the Vibrant. Definitely light, would not want to run it without cats or a resonator. Thankfully don't like my neighbors much anyway.

1654011310134.png

1654011430997.png

1654011450141.png

Funny thing we noticed, the side that swaps out for the valve on the switchpath is 2.5" vs. 3" on the other side. Probably gonna pick that up before I can take this to waterford, 75 dBa at the property limit will be tough.

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Got the bar-tek oil cooler and CSF aux rads installed. Pretty neat. I think the thermostat opens up at 180F? Added about a quart of oil.

Have a day booked at Gingerman on Friday, interested to see how it does but it looks like it might be rainy/cold anyway. Oh well.

View attachment 251845

View attachment 251846
Awesome. You got the V2 version?

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
Looks good, my oil temps got up to the mid 250’s last weekend and I wasn’t pushing crazy, gonna get CSF six radiators to start.

I added an oem aux radiator to my MKV R32 and Oil cooler, I’ve tracked in 100 degree weather with that setup, works great.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Looks good, my oil temps got up to the mid 250’s last weekend and I wasn’t pushing crazy, gonna get CSF six radiators to start.

I added an oem aux radiator to my MKV R32 and Oil cooler, I’ve tracked in 100 degree weather with that setup, works great.
I was pretty happy with everything today. Gingerman feels way more relaxed. Watched a kid in a stock-ish Mk7 GTI boil his SRF in front of me, but he was driving the tits off his car.

PXL_20220610_160956274.jpg

v730s after a second full day (rears). Worst part is racing the rain all the way home, gotta figure out how to tetris another wheel set into the back.

PXL_20220610_203420865.MP.jpg