GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I am considering tracking my car in the near future...looking for suggestions/tweaks

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
This is awesome well done mate!

Happy that first day went well. Def check your tire pressure.

I have mine so that coming off track tis right at 36-37 psi. MP4s are super soft so every tire is different.

my Trofeos liked a solid 32psi as a hot temp so it will take some time to find the sweet spot!

I have also left the track without adjusting my psi for the street and that makes for a wicked rough ride.

Im so happy the brakes worked out for you. Keep up the progress!
Thank you!!

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I took a closer look at the tires, and I think that the noise was coming from the fact that it looks like my hot tires were picking up rubber off of the track and causing it to bond to my tire.
Take a look at the photo, am I correct?
Is there anything I can do to fix it?
I also forgot to add in the prior posts that my oil temp hit 260 degrees! (air temp was about 65 degrees) I'm not sure what is considered too high, so I figured that I would throw it out there for opinions.

Attachments

• IMG_9781.jpg
    IMG_9781.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 85
Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I took a closer look at the tires, and I think that the noise was coming from the fact that it looks like my hot tires were picking up rubber off of the track and causing it to bond to my tire.
Take a look at the photo, am I correct?
Is there anything I can do to fix it?
I also forgot to add in the prior posts that my oil temp hit 260 degrees! (air temp was about 65 degrees) I'm not sure what is considered too high, so I figured that I would throw it out there for opinions.

If it's OPR (other peoples rubber), go get the tire warm and them just remove it. Are you tracking AO52's?

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
If it's OPR (other peoples rubber), go get the tire warm and them just remove it. Are you tracking AO52's?
Yeah, I’m pretty sure that it’s OPR. It’s only on the rear tires, so I’m guessing that if I rotate them and drive a little aggressive, they may clean themselves. If not, I’ll try to peel it off.
I'm running MPS4S’s

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Yeah, I’m pretty sure that it’s OPR. It’s only on the rear tires, so I’m guessing that if I rotate them and drive a little aggressive, they may clean themselves. If not, I’ll try to peel it off.
min running MPS4S’s

A heat gun and scraper would work too.

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
min running MPS4S’s
Yep get it hot and scrub it off.

You can also go find a vancant lot and do some burnies to get it warmed up.

on your oil temp, thats not terribly bad. When it starts going north of 270 then be a bit more cautious.

I was hitting 280 regularly, Switched to Liqui Moly 5w-40 and I can run all day and stay in the low 260s. 100% love their products.

some shameless promo on the topic :D

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I can certainly help with that!

Prepare for lots of fun!

So your track situation will be similar to mine when I started.

My first suggestion is on tires.

https://tirestreets.com/products/accelera-651-sport
These are what I use for competition (200tw limit) and Daily Driving. They over perform and do amazing in the rain so no worries about being caught in bad weather. life is also excellent.

They wont have the "plushiness" of the 4s but will perform better on track for sure with great comfort at proper PSI levels.

Feel free to use our team code "Easthood" for a set. They are true to size so if you are using stock wheels. the 235s will be perfect. (i fit them on a 8.5 at one point)

Brakes

Let's keep it simple, OEM NON PP?
Fluid- ATE typ 200. Used it for comp and daily driving the first 2years.Now use Endless RBF-650 to great success but may be overkill for you.

Pads-Ferodo Ds2500 are a great dD/ light trackpad. Used them for 3 years with great results.

Next up would be something from hawk but you would have to choose the compound that suits you. IF you don't mind swapping pads for track days. I would run DTC-60 in the front and Ht-10 in the rear. Fantastic braking performance with some heat and work well.

Please avoid EBC. They are quite shite for track use. Good for street people but not for tracks.

I use
265/35/18 651s on 8.5 width wheel with DTC 70 Fronts HT-10 Rears now. Its amazing. (mine is the PP for reference)

I highly suggest you change brakes first. OEM pads are bleh as is the fluid for a track day. You will boil them. Stock rotors are fine.

one last thing. If you start going truly fast. Start planning now to invest in this from Spulen

https://www.uspmotorsports.com/Spulen-2.0TSI-Billet-Spherical-Catch-Can-Kit-Black-SE-CCTSIV2-B1.html

This will negate any PCV issues or oil blow by that happens at High g corners and under heavy braking.

Hope this was helpful!

If you need help sourcing either let me know. DM or shoot an email via www.easthoodracing.comView attachment 182247

You drive that on the street with the wing and all of those decals? You related to Conway?

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
You drive that on the street with the wing and all of those decals? You related to Conway?
Not sure who Conway is

But yea
Its a full street car :D

Its just a very very very fast one :D

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I checked Zeckhausen, and they only show Ferodo pads for the front as well. I have the standard brakes. If I had the PP brakes, then the rears are also available.
Ahh, then yeah your other best option is to contact gloc or their vw distributor and have a set of pads made in your favorite flavor of aggressiveness. I use their r8 on the rear and r16 front. I cooked the r12 on sticky tires :/ and no brake ducting. I run the r8 on street and I'd imagine the ax6 would do even better and be a much better match do the ds2500 in front.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I just did another track day at Lime Rock. I ran solo in the Intermediate group. It was a fun day! Here is one of the sessions (unfortunately there was a lot of wind noise because the windows were open):

I didn't make any changes to the car from the last track day. The car handled pretty well considering that I'm mostly stock. However, I decided that I'm going to put an upgraded rear sway bar before next season so it can stay a little flatter, and have a little less under steer tendency at the limit.

There was a professional photographer there, so I got a cool photo out of it too!

Attachments

• SPP_SCDA_LRP_10242020-435.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 64
Last edited: