GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Holy &:#% this stinks

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
I would:

*Get a new turbo to DP gasket.
*Drill out the factory bolt and throw in a nut and bolt in its place.
*Reinstall the DP with new gasket and make sure it's flush top and bottom prior to clamping down.

Extra credit: Add a cat.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
And exactly what did you gain by going catless?

Let's see:

You are violation of Federal law - Who gives a fuck!
You are allowing carbon monoxide into the cabin and may die - Total bullshit!
You are gaining a "forum factual" 5000hp, but in actuality you may be gaining a 2 or 3 - or zero - How many BT cars do you see NOT running straight pipes or dumps from their BT?
You killed any warranty you may have. - Refer back to my first response.

OP, which DP do you have? I am catless and never smell anything.

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
OP, which DP do you have? I am catless and never smell anything.

It’s a CTS pipe. After driving around for a few more days it’s actually really not noticeable, might have just been an issue on the first day. With the windows up I can’t smell it at all and then with them down it’s only while idling it coming to a stop quickly. I did add a better clamp to the middle section and tightened the v band using pliers. Much better now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I also have a catless DP, love it. I have ridden motorcycles and worked with cars for some time and this smell is like family to me, so getting the occasional whiff just adds to the experience. :)

echelonphoto

Ready to race!
Coming from extensive modding on corvettes, I have learn that catless is just not worth it for DD. Even installed the highest quality headers on one late model vette...completely leak free...and the smell still came in. Put on catted midpipes and did not lose hp, but gained a much more pleasant experience

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Jesus fucking Christ.

The guy needs to know if an issue is normal and what potential options he has to resolve it.

Three posts in this thread address that question, and the rest are self-righteous douchebaggery.

Might as well be on PriusChat with some of the responses people come up with.

Meh... you’re missing a major point.

It’s a public forum and the act affects the public... so people have a right to comment.

It’s the equivalent of someone asking about a plumbing question because the pipe that they built to move their sewage from their septic tank to a nearby creek is not sealing. Then people coming in and complaining that people commenting on the sewage shouldn’t be commenting. :rolleyes:

I personally am glad to see some public shaming around this. If all 300+ Million cars on our roads trying to gain an extra 10hp this would be a major deal.

Thank goodness it’s just a few selfish people that are partaking in defeating their emmisions systems.

emanon

Ready to race!
Get a 200 cell ceramic cat and nobody will ever know it isnt stock, and you won't give up much to a full straight pipe.

I'm not an eco weenie by any stretch, but catless cars do smell like shit. Drive a car with side pipes and no cars in traffic for a bit, you'll quickly change your mind on them.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Jesus fucking Christ.

The guy needs to know if an issue is normal and what potential options he has to resolve it.

Three posts in this thread address that question, and the rest are self-righteous douchebaggery.

Might as well be on PriusChat with some of the responses people come up with.

❤️

cb1111

Meh... you’re missing a major point.

It’s a public forum and the act affects the public... so people have a right to comment.

It’s the equivalent of someone asking about a plumbing question because the pipe that they built to move their sewage from their septic tank to a nearby creek is not sealing. Then people coming in and complaining that people commenting on the sewage shouldn’t be commenting. :rolleyes:

I personally am glad to see some public shaming around this. If all 300+ Million cars on our roads trying to gain an extra 10hp that they aren't using this would be a major deal.

Thank goodness it’s just a few selfish people that are partaking in defeating their emissions systems.
Fixed it for you.

In the early days of catalytic converters, the emission controls were tacked on to existing systems and zapped power. Engines went from 300hp to 175. Removing the emission controls brought massive amounts of power.

Today, emission controls are designed into the the engines and, in some cases, removing the controls actually reduces power.

Removing parts of the system (like cats) will no longer bring any significant increases and aren't doing the air we breathe any good.

Have any of these people actually considered where the smell is coming from? It is coming from the exhaust. What does the exhaust contain? Carbon monoxide. Is carbon monoxide good for you?

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
And you’re wrong. Removing the catalytic converter or changing it to a higher flow one adds a ton of power to this platform.

Everything else you’re correct. This is why I went with IE for my downpipe.

Hayden

Love/Hate Relationship
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Must have been a leak because on my mk5 I couldn't smell my catless DP at all. If you go WOT, the person behind you will smell it for sure, though.

Mels15GTI

Ready to race!
My CTS catted smelled pretty bad for a while, turns out I didn’t tighten the downpipe to exhaust clamp enough and it had a leak. Tightened the crap out of it, no more smell now.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
And you’re wrong. Removing the catalytic converter or changing it to a higher flow one adds a ton of power to this platform.

Everything else you’re correct. This is why I went with IE for my downpipe.

Comparing stock to catless yes, big difference.

Comparing a high flow 200 cell cat to catless you’d never feel the difference from inside the car. We’re talking 2-3hp here.

I’m glad the OP got some help, but honestly those giving him a hard time are kind of justified in that this topic has been beaten to death around here and the sole reason I build a budget minded catted DP option for those who don’t wanna spend $900 on a downpipe.

End of the day these cars are daily drivers. Maybe the catless smell “isn’t that bad” but when I’m stuck behind you at a light or in a drive through with my wife and two kids in the car it’s not you it’s bothering, it’s us. Now imagine I’m a state trooper, or senator or senators wife and kids...see where I’m going with this? If it was a ‘70 Cuda then yeah, catless because you might drive it 800 miles a year...but a moderned family hatchback isn’t falling into that category, not by a long shot