GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HELP! Codes popped from disconnecting battery

FastEggMk7

Ready to race!
Hey guys,

I disconnected my battery so i could change my plugs and as soon as I did that an reconnected my battery, my car threw every code imaginable at start up.

What can i do now? Did I lose my APR tune? How can i make everything go back to normal?

FastEggMk7

Ready to race!
Car sounds like a Subaru now, idles poorly it's as if it has a hurt engine.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Mine threw codes when I disconnected the battery, I think its normal. They go away after driving a few miles.

The rough idle doesn't sound right. I bet its the plugs.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Hey guys,

I disconnected my battery so i could change my plugs and as soon as I did that an reconnected my battery, my car threw every code imaginable at start up.

What can i do now? Did I lose my APR tune? How can i make everything go back to normal?

Should be a Traction Control light, Steering wheel light, and maybe ABS. Driving over 20 mph and doing a full lock turn should clear all the lights. It just needs to relearn a few things. It may also need a throttle body alignment. That would explain the rough idle, unless you didn't fully plug in a coil pack, or have a bad spark plug. It's also possible that you may have damaged a coil. Do you have a scan tool to see any codes? Is the CEL on solid or flashing? Depending what is wrong, there should be codes stored.

FastEggMk7

Ready to race!
Should be a Traction Control light, Steering wheel light, and maybe ABS. Driving over 20 mph and doing a full lock turn should clear all the lights. It just needs to relearn a few things. It may also need a throttle body alignment. That would explain the rough idle, unless you didn't fully plug in a coil pack, or have a bad spark plug. It's also possible that you may have damaged a coil. Do you have a scan tool to see any codes? Is the CEL on solid or flashing? Depending what is wrong, there should be codes stored.

EPC light came on now and check engine light. Idles poorly too.....

FastEggMk7

Ready to race!
When i started the car the first time, i didn't disconnect battery. And thr only light that came on is EPC. After i disconnected battery all the codes came on

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
Recheck those plugs. Sounds like one may not be firing. Make sure you reinstalled everything properly. I would check for most obvious things first, like electrical connectors are all properly seated.

You did not loose your ECU tune.

TheDoc46

Ready to race!
may help to scan the car and find out which cylinder is misfiring. That'll save you taking everything apart again. But yeah, don't be disheartened to see a bunch of lights come on after you fix it, cos it does take a little while and a stop and start to re-adapt itself and for the lights to all go out.

FastEggMk7

Ready to race!
may help to scan the car and find out which cylinder is misfiring. That'll save you taking everything apart again. But yeah, don't be disheartened to see a bunch of lights come on after you fix it, cos it does take a little while and a stop and start to re-adapt itself and for the lights to all go out.

I did stop and restarted car. Some codes went away, but not all like the first time I did it.

Gonna back track and check everything. I might have not connected something? Or I might just try to reinstall the previous plugs, since they were working just fine. We will see what happens.......

wz3r0

Drive the car for about 500 ft and it should all clear the next time you start it up. I went though the same experience 2 weeks ago. did some research and someone suggested that, cleared everything right up. after obdeleven wouldn't clear the codes.

Also had the rough idle but that also went away after a few miles.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
As stated previously it is normal for the warning lights to come on. Drive the car around a little and they'll go away. As for the rough idle, it may just be the new plugs.

Need a little more information, why did you change plugs?

If you got hotter plugs it could change the way it runs. Drive around real slow for a couple hundred feet and see if anything changes. If its still rough, put your old plugs back in.

FastEggMk7

Ready to race!
As stated previously it is normal for the warning lights to come on. Drive the car around a little and they'll go away. As for the rough idle, it may just be the new plugs.

Need a little more information, why did you change plugs?

If you got hotter plugs it could change the way it runs. Drive around real slow for a couple hundred feet and see if anything changes. If its still rough, put your old plugs back in.

I changed plugs to 1 step colder, Denso Plugs as recommended by APR. So drive the car a little and codes should go away?

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
What BavoMike said. If it is running rough, something is not right with the plug install. As stated when you drive the car the lights on cluster should go away, but it sounds like you have something else going wrong. I did not fully snap in a couple of connectors when installing plugs, so that could be going on.

Recheck those plugs. Sounds like one may not be firing. Make sure you reinstalled everything properly. I would check for most obvious things first, like electrical connectors are all properly seated.

You did not loose your ECU tune.