GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HELP! Codes popped from disconnecting battery

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I changed plugs to 1 step colder, Denso Plugs as recommended by APR. So drive the car a little and codes should go away?

What BavoMike said. If it is running rough, something is not right with the plug install. As stated when you drive the car the lights on cluster should go away, but it sounds like you have something else going wrong. I did not fully snap in a couple of connectors when installing plugs, so that could be going on.

Do this. Check your plug install, then if everything looks good, drive it a little. Don't go hard on it until you know its doing better. The ECU has to "learn" about its new fueling and air/fuel ratios

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
I changed plugs to 1 step colder, Denso Plugs as recommended by APR.

Doesn't APR recommend NGK after a couple members' Denso's started shattering their insulators? Can't recall if that was their reason, or if they changed for other reasons.

OP, don't start driving your car if it is misfiring. My first action would be to check all connections and if the issue persists, then put the original plugs back in. If you're still having mis-fires and are sure you didn't leave any loose connections, go to the dealer, or an indy shop and see what they can find if you can't scan codes yourself.

FastEggMk7

Ready to race!
Doesn't APR recommend NGK after a couple members' Denso's started shattering their insulators? Can't recall if that was their reason, or if they changed for other reasons.

OP, don't start driving your car if it is misfiring. My first action would be to check all connections and if the issue persists, then put the original plugs back in. If you're still having mis-fires and are sure you didn't leave any loose connections, go to the dealer, or an indy shop and see what they can find if you can't scan codes yourself.

So guys,

Back tracked and checked everything and turns out one of the coils was cracked and was not connected well like the others. Changed it out with a new coil and Voila, the car ran perfect once again.

But the check engine light still remains, I need to get that thing cleared out. Not sure how I'll do that.... LOL

But car runs better than ever

ucfquattroguy

Go Kart Newbie
Silly question as one who's never disco'd the batter for any spark plug replacement in any previous car. Is this step needed on the Mk7? As for the lights...I believe anything and everything related to ABS/ESC is completely normal, as the module has not seen any input from related sensors since being powered up. After my last battery swap, my light show of a dash went away as soon as I turned out of the driveway.

FastEggMk7

Ready to race!
Silly question as one who's never disco'd the batter for any spark plug replacement in any previous car. Is this step needed on the Mk7? As for the lights...I believe anything and everything related to ABS/ESC is completely normal, as the module has not seen any input from related sensors since being powered up. After my last battery swap, my light show of a dash went away as soon as I turned out of the driveway.

Apparently, don't do it or every damn code comes up. Not doing that shit again.... learned my lesson. Now I need to figure out how to clear my check engine code.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
This is why you use a battery saver when disconnecting the battery. It plugs into the OBD port and provides the little amount of power to keep the computer on to maintain all the various settings.

ECS as well as a few other places sell these. It's a nice convenience for when you need to disconnect the battery. Although I've never heard of disconnecting the battery for a spark plug change.

Glad it turned out.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben-parts/memory-saver-kit/006306sch01a/

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Everything you experienced in this thread is totally normal. when the battery gets disconnected those few ABS, tire pressure monitoring and other notifications will happen every time. nothing to be afraid of at all. as soon as the car moves a few feet, it''ll clear.

the issue you had with the cracked coil is a unique issue in this situation however it isnt uncommon for that to happen when pulling the coils out...

so the lesson is... there is no lesson :D

FastEggMk7

Ready to race!
So if I disconnect battery again, it'll clear my check engine light code?!!! LOL. If so, I'll disconnect my battery

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Codes from a cracked ignition coil will be stored. I do not believe disconnecting battery will remove. Vagcom or OB11 can be used to remove stored codes. Auto parts store may also be able to read and delete codes.

FastEggMk7

Ready to race!
Codes from a cracked ignition coil will be stored. I do not believe disconnecting battery will remove. Vagcom or OB11 can be used to remove stored codes. Auto parts store may also be able to read and delete codes.

Tried auto parts stores. They don't do it anymore due to liability purposes. Any other ideas fellas?

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
I know for some CEL's if the symptom stops after so many cycles (on/off drives) it will go off on its own. So drive it for a few days and see if it goes away.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Tried auto parts stores. They don't do it anymore due to liability purposes. Any other ideas fellas?

If you have a good relationship with an independent shop, they might clear codes for free. Also it doesn't hurt to ask if you have one local, just explain what happened.

racerxxx

Ready to race!
Doesn't everyone has an obd2 scanner? With the following link and a $5 torque pro app you can troubleshoot/clear all your cel's. I fix a lot of peoples cars and this is the best $15 I have spent. Years before smartphones we bought a $700 obd2 scan tool. It was worthless and clunky. I haven't tested it on the GTI yet.

I'm an android guy and the following link is for the Android version which is Bluetooth. Apple users need the Wi-Fi version since apple doesn't support spp (serial port protocol). This is probably the same reason the obd eleven runs on android(I don't believe you can use an iPad). Just search for the same thing on Amazon but Wi-Fi version. Android users can use torque pro app, iPhone I'm not sure.

https://www.amazon.com/Firmware-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Interface-Scanner/dp/B01J9H4UQY

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk