GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hello and welcome. Introduce yourselves here

cptmonty

Hey Everyone,

I'm David and I'm planning on getting a 6-spd MKVI GTI in the next couple weeks. I've been looking for a replacement for my WRX Wagon for a while and the GTI seems like the best overall car for the money. After test driving, I've pretty much decided to get one. I'm definitely going to mod the car (I say that I won't, but I know myself too well). My primary use for the car will be daily driving and it will also be used for trackdays.

How's the reliability on these? Are there any known issues? It's easy to find people online stating that VWs (or Euro-cars in general) are unreliable, but I'd like to hear what actual owners have to say. My buddy has a MKV and he's has zero issues, so that makes me think most of these statements are BS.

Thanks!

amsirron23

Ready to race!
Finally... the day is here... I am picking up my CSG GTI today after work!!! My emblems, engine mounts, LED lights, Euroswitch, etc. that are sitting on my shelf will now have a home!!!! I'm SO excited!!!

RKUVWA

Hi all, here's my new GTI! 4dr base CW DSG. I'm having a blast driving it and really love the gearbox!

I plan to swap to clear sidemarkers, zxe or piaa xtreme white headlight bulbs, match the rest of the bulbs, and maybe yellow fog lights. Thanks to everyone here for the wealth of information that is helping me make this awesome car even better!

MrMke

Go Kart Champion
Hey All....
Just became a member today so I can finalize my decision to trade my Genesis Coupe for a GTI. My coupe is an auto so I'm anxious to get back to a manual. I had a Speed3 before my coupe and contemplated going back to one but the GTI is so much better in so many ways. Still actively searching for the right one at this time....has to be a manual and a 4 door. Any issues that I should know about? Looking at 2010 through 2012's. Thanks!

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
2011 has the better BT module and different stereo/nav, which some liked the 2010 better (it did have HD radio as well).

codered911

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK8
New to the site, looking for a 4dr gti 07 or newer.... Currently driving a neon and live in florida. Any advice is welcome as I am not sure to go 6spd or auto.

JesGistang

Passed Driver's Ed
New to the site, looking for a 4dr gti 07 or newer.... Currently driving a neon and live in florida. Any advice is welcome as I am not sure to go 6spd or auto.

Welcome! Picking an auto or man depends on whether or not you are going to be in slow, heavy traffic..if you do or don't mind being on the clutch for forever and a day. I have a GTI DSG, which is automatic but has a sport mode for manual shifting via paddle shifters. It's way fun! :D

RJdriver

Hey Guys. First Post. I have a new 2011 CSG 4D GTI DSG Sunroof/Nav that I bought in Sandy Utah in August. I was going to get CW, but this was their last 11' and I got a great deal! She has 5000 miles on her, and I have really enjoyed the car. Wanted to wait until I had some time to truly evaluate the car before posting. I was really active on Bimmerfest, and came within a day of puling the trigger on a 335d lease with EuroDelivery. Although my wife has already curbed on of my wheels (not too bad), I have been very happy. I thought I might be too old (39) for a GTI, but I have always loved them.....and at least I will own it. I think I may entertain stage 1 APR when the spring sale hits now the motor has a few miles on it.

A couple thoughts.....
Pros- Love the fit and finish, and the DSG is a dream IMO. Well, we all know the pros.

Cons-
1.Can't turn off the DRL's (xenon),
2.When you lock the doors, you can still open them!! WTF! Most cars when you lock the door , the handle does nothing until you unlock. This car, doesn't matter what door it is, you can always open them from the inside regardless of lock condition. I could use the "child" locks, but it's a pain to have to open the doors for passengers who ride in back. Very frustrating.
3. Front row storage is nil'. Wish the center console had more room and a few more hidden pockets. I barely have room to put my iPhone in the center console while it charges. I usually end up just smashing my chord and leave it outside the console while the phone is hooked up to it. Also, when I leave my phone plugged in and shut the car down, I have no volume when I start the car again. I have to unplug the phone and plug it in again. A little weird.
4. Nav- kinda weak (POI's, no direct dial)

I will search for solutions on the forum, but I have finally realized my dream of owning a German car. I wil post pics soon, and look forward to contributing and getting a lot out of this community.

Pics to come!!

First quick question- Where is the best place to buy OEM wheels. I'll do a search in a bit, but if anyone has a quick suggestion, it would be appreciated!!

codered911

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK8
Welcome! Picking an auto or man depends on whether or not you are going to be in slow, heavy traffic..if you do or don't mind being on the clutch for forever and a day. I have a GTI DSG, which is automatic but has a sport mode for manual shifting via paddle shifters. It's way fun! :D

I've got a 5 speed now with a heavy staged clutch... It bothers me at times, but I think I would miss it if I didn't have gears to bang... Thanks for the input!

I drive a 2011 6spd and i have to say its very smooth.. Although i haven't ever driven a DSG..

I am seeing more and more of the shiftable/automatics dsg's for sale used than any 6spd mt's. I think I will let the price decide which I get although I think the 6spd mt would be the best for me. Thanks for you help!

GTI929

Hi guys! My name is Jim and I live in Roanoke. I just recently moved to the area after being hired by Walgreens as a new grad. I've been lurking and reading on this forum for a while now, and decided it's finally time to create an account.

My first car was a 2002 camry which I absolutely hated. In 2008, I upgraded to a 2005 G35 coupe. And about half a year ago, I lost my G35 in a rear end collision. Fortunately, I was not at fault and their insurance gave me 20k. After the wreck, the insurance company lent me a rental for 1 week. Within that period of time, I researched many options. At the time, my gf (now fiancee), insisted on a practical car with 4 doors suitable for a family. Coming from a coupe, I really wanted a 2 door car and to assign her Camry as a designated family car...

Nevertheless, I merged her requirements with mine. I spent my last 3 years in a small town, if you can even call it that, called Grundy. It's basically a coal mine sitting in the middle of Appalachian VA, a terrible combination of greasy pavement, windy roads, and freezing precipitation. While in the grunge, I had some bad experiences which leads me to the importance of awd in my new car. I also wanted a sporty car, preferably a hatchback, of course with 4 doors. This narrowed my choices down to MS3, WRX, Juke, GTI, and the 4 door awd Mini. Since my fiancee will be driving the car as well, I crossed off any manual cars. Sadly, I was really considering he WRX. It's a beast and comes with awd! Only downside is the cheap interior. And the Mini was out of the question, since she referred to it as ”death in a car...”

That made my choice really simple, a GTI vs a Juke. We did test drive the juke; neither of us were impressed. The crossover resembles a frog and the interior is simply too cramped. Even my fiancee, who is 5'2", did not sit comfortably in the rear. The tranny was also sluggish and lacking power in the low gears.

When I finally test drove the GTI I fell in love immediately. The DSG transmission was as smooth as butter; it offers all of the advantages of a manual car yet can be driven automatically. The fwd with XPS and ESC is as close to awd as I will get. It will definitely perform better than my G35 in poor driving conditions! The paddle shifters are also a very convenient feature that portrays a very sexy and sporty car. The interior definitely outclasses all of the other cars in consideration. The upgrade to the autobahn package future increases the cleft. I really love the black leather seats; I'm not much of a plad guy... The bixenon lights and the kessy key fob were the cherries on top. Needless to say, I ordered an autobahn edition that same day. The GTI is truly a marriage of practicality, sophistication, as well as just pure fun.

Ever since I got my GTI, I've been slowly but steadily modding my car. I actually just finished smoking my tail lights tonight. I applied 2 layers of VHT Nites-shade for a medium tint. I'd rather be safer than sorry than go with the more controversial 3 layer application. The entire mod was relatively easy and it took me 3 hours since I had to sand the tails down perfectly. Overall, I'm very pleased with the results. In the near future, I'm looking to buy a VAG-COM cable for some tweaks, and then work my way into some suspension upgrades.

This forum has really made my ownership that much more enjoyable; it's also eating a hole in my wallet lol... Now I know how it feels to have the mod bug. Nonetheless, there is an abundance of very useful information here, so thanks to everyone who has contributed!

Last edited:

JesGistang

Passed Driver's Ed
I've got a 5 speed now with a heavy staged clutch... It bothers me at times, but I think I would miss it if I didn't have gears to bang... Thanks for the input!

Right on! :D