GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hammersticks' "Less Is More" MK7 GTI

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
Yeah looking forward to seeing what each can do in their respective disciplines. Now I wait for wheels...
What 17” wheel are you going with?

Any more thought into clutch upgrade? I need to put that on my to do as I just went EQT stage 1 also. Man is fun. Keeps on pulling!

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
What 17” wheel are you going with?

Any more thought into clutch upgrade? I need to put that on my to do as I just went EQT stage 1 also. Man is fun. Keeps on pulling!
Going with APEX for wheels. I’ve loved my RSe10’s but looking forward to the next chapter.
As for a clutch, not really, but just stumbled onto this thread of RSR hybrids failing. So maybe FCP or SB? I don’t know...I have other priorities right now so going to see what I can get out of the stock clutch. That said I will be teaching my oldest how to drive here pretty soon so maybe I need to plan on sooner vs later. D’oh!

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
So. Finally got my suspension installed. OG Hammersticks setup. Koni Yellows + H&R OE Sport springs. Stock settings on the dampers. Installed my Hotchkiss front sway bar, RS3 front LCAs (will do something about the rear bushings soon I suppose), and Whiteline roll center correction ball joints.

Ride is fantastic. Was worried since I have seen a lot of complaints about H&R springs. Was less worried due to the fact that people were running stock/old dampers for the most part. Turns out that is the case for sure.

Front sway bar was a great upgrade I would say. No idea why people say "just do the rear". Car still rotates. I set my front bar to the soft setting.

Drop is actually looking closer to be closer to 0.9-1.0 inches. Still have around 1" fender gap on the front. The rear is pretty flush but I am running a 255/40/17 on the front and 245/45 on the rear. Would have similar gap on the rear. Gotta see how it settles in. I have EMD rear pad springs, but honestly might just do the TT-S/TT-RS rear pads (which ever ones are right).

Any who, thanks a ton. Your feedback led me to this solution 2+ years ago, but I slow roll absolutely slow roll every big install haha.

Last edited:

510danr

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
That must handle great. What can I expect by just doing the front sway with my 25 mm Neuspeed rear, no other mods but 200TW tires?

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
So. Finally got my suspension installed. OG Hammersticks setup. Koni Yellows + H&R OE Sport springs. Stock settings on the dampers. Installed my Hotchkiss front sway bar, RS3 front LCAs (will do something about the rear bushings soon I suppose), and Whiteline roll center correction ball joints.

Ride is fantastic. Was worried since I have seen a lot of complaints about H&R springs. Was less worried due to the fact that people were running stock/old dampers for the most part. Turns out that is the case for sure.

Front sway bar was a great upgrade I would say. No idea why people say "just do the rear". Car still rotates. I set my front bar to the soft setting.

Drop is actually looking closer to be closer to 0.9-1.0 inches. Still have around 1" fender gap on the front. The rear is pretty flush but I am running a 255/40/17 on the front and 245/45 on the rear. Would have similar gap on the rear. Gotta see how it settles in. I have EMD rear pad springs, but honestly might just do the TT-S/TT-RS rear pads (which ever ones are right).

Any who, thanks a ton. Your feedback led me to this solution 2+ years ago, but I slow roll absolutely slow roll every big install haha.
Awesome. Glad to hear it. I have loved my front 26mm front sway. People just don’t want to deal with the install. Myself included. It was the only thing I paid to have done. Zero regrets after many years.
That must handle great. What can I expect by just doing the front sway with my 25 mm Neuspeed rear, no other mods but 200TW tires?
With a 26mm H&R front bar set to the softest setting you can expect a balanced car that eliminates a ton of slop from the stock setup but still maintains stock ride quality.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI

I have TT rear spring pads that I did not need for my install if you’re interested pm me.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Nice!

What did you use to crank down the knockout punch?
Leverage is what I used,lol. Extend arm ratchet and short jack handle pipe was plenty
06FB2271-9F8E-422D-9B65-3289E52351C1.jpeg

Bohaha

Hello fellow Mk7 GTI enthusiasts.
I am about to embark on a "Less is More" journey for my own GTI (2017 Autobahn with PP/DCC). My goals are to sharpen up the handling without ruining the car as a daily driver.

My previous car was an NC Miata, and while I can't expect to get the level of steering feedback I loved on that car, I do want to make the GTI more neutral (get rid of the OEM understeer) and increase the steering response, if that is possible.
I wouldn't mind reducing the ride height a mild amount, ideally 1/2 to 0.75 inch. Anything more would not meet my goals of also continuing to drive the car in winter (in Minnesota, fyi).

The first two changes I plan are:
1. Rear stabilizer bar. Nothing huge, just want to dial out the understeer. But I wonder if that is enough or whether going with a matched RSB+FSB from the same vendor (e.g. H&R or Neuspeed) would be ultimately better as a set developed and tested in conjunction with each other for better roll transition. But on the other hand, is the front subframe procedure such a PITA for me or trusted mechanic that the FSB would not be worth it?
Any advise from the knowledgable?

2. Lighter wheels and a bit wider. Probably 17 x 8 or 17 x 8.5.
Question: Will the 8.5 wide rub with the OEM suspension? Or would it mean I need to add more camber for the 8.5" to fit? (again, I don't want to lower too much)

3. There is no #3 after that until I run with changes #1 and #2 for a while ;-)

Thanks in advance for any advice based on experience!

Bohaha

Hello fellow Mk7 GTI enthusiasts.
I am about to embark on a "Less is More" journey for my own GTI (2017 Autobahn with PP/DCC). My goals are to sharpen up the handling without ruining the car as a daily driver.

My previous car was an NC Miata, and while I can't expect to get the level of steering feedback I loved on that car, I do want to make the GTI more neutral (get rid of the OEM understeer) and increase the steering response, if that is possible.
I wouldn't mind reducing the ride height a mild amount, ideally 1/2 to 0.75 inch. Anything more would not meet my goals of also continuing to drive the car in winter (in Minnesota, fyi).

The first two changes I plan are:
1. Rear stabilizer bar. Nothing huge, just want to dial out the understeer. But I wonder if that is enough or whether going with a matched RSB+FSB from the same vendor (e.g. H&R or Neuspeed) would be ultimately better as a set developed and tested in conjunction with each other for better roll transition. But on the other hand, is the front subframe procedure such a PITA for me or trusted mechanic that the FSB would not be worth it?
Any advise from the knowledgable?

2. Lighter wheels and a bit wider. Probably 17 x 8 or 17 x 8.5.
Question: Will the 8.5 wide rub with the OEM suspension? Or would it mean I need to add more camber for the 8.5" to fit? (again, I don't want to lower too much)

3. There is no #3 after that until I run with changes #1 and #2 for a while ;-)

Thanks in advance for any advice based on experience!

Found this cross reference which is good about the H&R OE springs:.
Thread 'H&R OE Sport springs w/ DCC'
https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/h-r-oe-sport-springs-w-dcc.384776/

But would still value input on matched FSB+RSB versus RSB single change. Thanks

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
Found this cross reference which is good about the H&R OE springs:.
Thread 'H&R OE Sport springs w/ DCC'
https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/h-r-oe-sport-springs-w-dcc.384776/

But would still value input on matched FSB+RSB versus RSB single change. Thanks
Welcome to the forum! Rather than bumping someone else's thread, I would advise making a new thread. That way you don't derail someone else's post, and you're also more likely to get a response to your questions