GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hammersticks' "Less Is More" MK7 GTI

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
034 curiously states no reverse rake, but there is at least on a manual car. Without the TT pads in back I’m pretty sure the gap would be less than an inch. Up front with DSG you may be pushing it.

DenaliTim

I just lowered my MK7.5 with Eibach and 034 RSB. I’m still running stock shocks. I feel the ride got a bit better but has a bit of bounce on rough roads. So far no complaints and pretty happy with the ride so far.
My daughter just bought a house in Livermore and I’ve been out there a bit more now so keep an eye out for a lowered white mk7.5 😬

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
My daughter just bought a house in Livermore and I’ve been out there a bit more now so keep an eye out for a lowered white mk7.5 😬
Nice! We’ve been here since 2002. It’s grown up a lot. I am always on the lookout for GTIs and R’s and saw/waved to a lowered white one a month or so ago. Maybe you?!? There aren’t too many around here. 😄

DenaliTim

Nice! We’ve been here since 2002. It’s grown up a lot. I am always on the lookout for GTIs and R’s and saw/waved to a lowered white one a month or so ago. Maybe you?!? There aren’t too many around here. 😄

Not me as I’ve only had mine lowered for a couple weeks and haven’t been out there since.
I’m looking forward to ripping it through the Canyon over to vallecitos.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Suspension swap - 034 springs / Koni’s and stock mounts. The previous spring setup I had was fine but changed from the SP mounts back to the stock mounts. I also had a set of new 034 springs I had received from 034 after a warranty replacement from a used set I had bought. (Impressed with the 034 customer service.)

I only have a day on them but so far I am digging it. More to come in the following weeks once I have more seat time.
View attachment 190252
So it’s been more than a few weeks. In short, the setup has been great. A hair smoother than the OE sport setup before. (I can tell but it isn’t radically different) Only negative is slightly more compression resulting in some rubbing on the right front on big dips. I need to do the fender screw mod. Other than that no complaints. Here is is with the TT pads in back.

Edit: it’s been a few more months and this is my favorite setup so far. Again it’s not dramatically different than the OE sport setup but it is a bit more forgiving in the front. Still pretty firm/busy on bad roads at low speed but that’s my only real complaint (and of course need more negative camber for track).
EFDCC572-0B83-49ED-AEFF-8B389F17F2E8.jpeg

Last edited:

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
EQT stage 1 91 octane tune

I did this last May, six months before my powertrain warranty was up so mostly stuck to the plan. 😉 I had a CEL early on related to an O2 sensor. I removed the tune to get some warranty work done and then reinstalled and no CEL since. Not sure why but not complaining.
Overall I am really impressed with the tune. Linear power delivery and more power than I need. I just went with the traction control option. Nothing else and no regrets. Drop into 3rd on the highway and I can get around people in short order. The throttle response is touchy but you get used to it after a week or so. I think the only real drawback is having to completely uninstall the tune to have the car fully scanned. Not a huge deal since it’s a DIY job but does take a little time (about 5 min to uninstall and about 30 to reinstall).

No clue how this compares to anything other than the JB1 and stock. EQT is definitely my favorite. 😉

Update: April 6, 2021 (36.7K): Updated to v2.51. Had to remember how to use the AP Manager on the computer (it's been a year) but got the update loaded without any issues. I want more time with it but so far it's GREAT. The only driveability "issue" I had with it before was the 1st gear insta-boost. I remember when I first got the tune it took me by surprise and I thought it's a good thing my wife doesn't like driving my car as she'd hurt herself (great woman but cannot feather a throttle on an automobile). Of course I got used to it but with the new update it feels much more OEM-like in 1st gear as you ease into the throttle. No more insta-boost e. Much more forgiving now. I want more time with it but so far it feels really, really good.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
EQT stage 1 91 octane tune

I did this last May, six months before my powertrain warranty was up so mostly stuck to the plan. 😉 I had a CEL early on related to an O2 sensor. I removed the tune to get some warranty work done and then reinstalled and no CEL since. Not sure why but not complaining.
Overall I am really impressed with the tune. Linear power delivery and more power than I need. I just went with the traction control option. Nothing else and no regrets. Drop into 3rd on the highway and I can get around people in short order. The throttle response is touchy but you get used to it after a week or so. I think the only real drawback is having to completely uninstall the tune to have the car fully scanned. Not a huge deal since it’s a DIY job but does take a little time (about 5 min to uninstall and about 30 to reinstall).

No clue how this compares to anything other than the JB1 and stock. EQT is definitely my favorite. 😉
You shouldn't have to remove the tune to scan it.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
You shouldn't have to remove the tune to scan it.
The local indy shop tried scanning it with the stock map but couldn’t get too far via vagcom. From what I understand it has to with the consolidated rom. I’m not an expert in my the subject but here’s a thread for example. (Disregard the wastegate adaptation as I know that can be done via the AP now). https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/cobb-consolidated-rom-and-vcds.367958/

Anyway I’d love to be able to get the car scanned without completely uninstalling but that was my only path with the shop.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The local indy shop tried scanning it with the stock map but couldn’t get too far via vagcom. From what I understand it has to with the consolidated rom. I’m not an expert in my the subject but here’s a thread for example. (Disregard the wastegate adaptation as I know that can be done via the AP now). https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/cobb-consolidated-rom-and-vcds.367958/

Anyway I’d love to be able to get the car scanned without completely uninstalling but that was my only path with the shop.
I just scan mine with a cheap OBD2 dongle and the Torque app.

DeuceMcgee

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S DSG
This thread has answered so many questions I was thinking about in regards to suspension/mods for me as I have no interest in tracking my GTI. Hammersticks did you end up resolving the rubbing issue?

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
This thread has answered so many questions I was thinking about in regards to suspension/mods for me as I have no interest in tracking my GTI. Hammersticks did you end up resolving the rubbing issue?
Glad it has helped. Check out the suspension sticky too if you haven’t already. As for the rubbing, no, it doesn’t happen often so it has been on the back burner...but that’s it. This weekend! I am pretty confident the fender liner tuck will do the trick though. It worked like a charm on the driver’s side. I will do it this weekend and see how it goes next week.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Resolved. Fender screw showed slight rub marks. Removed the screw, tucked the fender liner, hit the same dip that kept invoking it and no more issues.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
So it’s been more than a few weeks. In short, the setup has been great. A hair smoother than the OE sport setup before. (I can tell but it isn’t radically different) Only negative is slightly more compression resulting in some rubbing on the right front on big dips. I need to do the fender screw mod. Other than that no complaints. Here is is with the TT pads in back.
View attachment 201910

wow, that is clean. Love it man

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Not much of a shock but I naturally had to pledge on the APEX wheel front. 17's here I come... APEX is local to me and I've been helping them out with test fitments and hopefully a few other projects in the future. Only question is if I stick with one set or pony up for another dedicated for tracking. Storage of an extra set of wheels is the challenge.

https://support.apexraceparts.com/h...-Golf-GTI-and-Golf-R-Wheel-Tire-Fitment-Guide

Last edited:

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Wow that chart is awesome. Talk about doing some due diligence. Props to those guys.

That 17” set with the NT-05s looks amazing...