GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Giovanni Maggio’s 6 Speed Swap (From Mk7 Golf Tsi FB Group)

Six Speed Tsi

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15Mk7 Vw Golf 1.8Tsi
Transmission is in axles are in shifting Linkage connected everything torqued I just honestly thought the starter would fit and obviously everywhere I read still didn’t listen but it’s all good a mechanic a know has many starters for these cars so going to pick it up today and should be ready to start I will take more pictures of the final product then I will make a full parts list and the reason why you need these parts for beginners or curiousness.

Attachments

• 38565E1C-C763-47F3-BAB9-B9457B61A5B3.jpeg
    38565E1C-C763-47F3-BAB9-B9457B61A5B3.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 416
  • E1B7D264-1544-4EFD-9D14-DA05EF81E50B.jpeg
    E1B7D264-1544-4EFD-9D14-DA05EF81E50B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 375
  • 5AD88F64-5F5E-49C2-9855-4DE7EA133EB9.jpeg
    5AD88F64-5F5E-49C2-9855-4DE7EA133EB9.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 427
  • DAEC0DB3-BB36-499A-82F4-B6E2FD0F1F5D.png
    DAEC0DB3-BB36-499A-82F4-B6E2FD0F1F5D.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 315

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Awesome! Once you finish, you'll be the first person with mk7 gti ratios (I have a mk6 gti 6 speed and I think ironshade has a mk6 passat 6 speed), I'm really curious to find out if the stored 6 speed ratios in our ECU's are right for that. If your interested, the way to change the computer to think it's a 6 speed was to convince it that the car has awd, among a few other, smaller things, but the ratios are too long for my transmission with the default values. I can look back to find out exactly what I did if you want to try it out.

Six Speed Tsi

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15Mk7 Vw Golf 1.8Tsi
Awesome! Once you finish, you'll be the first person with mk7 gti ratios (I have a mk6 gti 6 speed and I think ironshade has a mk6 passat 6 speed), I'm really curious to find out if the stored 6 speed ratios in our ECU's are right for that. If your interested, the way to change the computer to think it's a 6 speed was to convince it that the car has awd, among a few other, smaller things, but the ratios are too long for my transmission with the default values. I can look back to find out exactly what I did if you want to try it out.
Yes yes yes lol. I live with Cruise control I only have it in 2nd and 5th😭 I’ll love to know

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Do you have OBDEleven or VAGCOM?

Six Speed Tsi

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15Mk7 Vw Golf 1.8Tsi
Do you have OBDEleven or VAGCOM?
First gen OBDeleven. I tried
Engine> long coding> Gear ratios. The I selected six speed and it says function not available?☹ But how do you do it?

Attachments

• 40A55588-F222-467A-A5EF-B00B814C159F.png
    40A55588-F222-467A-A5EF-B00B814C159F.png
    187.6 KB · Views: 204
  • 74B95AFA-FF3C-4EED-9937-4106D0560E2A.png
    74B95AFA-FF3C-4EED-9937-4106D0560E2A.png
    184.2 KB · Views: 177

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Your interface looks a little different than mine, but I think it's further down. You need to change a setting from 2wd to awd.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Nice, that's 6 speed swap number 3 that I've seen on the 1.8. I think this might become the new IS20 swap eventually. Also, I believe the way the LSD works is with hydraulically pressurized clutch packs, so if it's not plugged in it'll work just fine as an open diff (just added weight :/).

I'm excited to swap the 6-speed from my Alltrack with a totaled MK7 R's 6MT once I pass 72K miles. I miss the short gear ratios from my MK6 GTI, they really wake a turbo car up. While swapping I'll be throwing an upgraded DMF Clutch like SRE/RSR + LSD

Six Speed Tsi

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15Mk7 Vw Golf 1.8Tsi
I'm excited to swap the 6-speed from my Alltrack with a totaled MK7 R's 6MT once I pass 72K miles. I miss the short gear ratios from my MK6 GTI, they really wake a turbo car up. While swapping I'll be throwing an upgraded DMF Clutch like SRE/RSR + LSD
Buddy that’s all good information I’m hearing👍🏻

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
You might have to mess around with adding security access codes. I don't remember what they were, but I was able to look most of them up.

Six Speed Tsi

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15Mk7 Vw Golf 1.8Tsi
An overall of what you need to know.

Manual 6-speed swap (MQ350)

OK! This will be basic but detailed. Parts of what you need for the 6 speed swap in a mk7 Golf 1.8 Tsi!

Why ?

The 5 speed (MQ250) differential is weak and has a tendency to break under moderate driving with a bit of hard driving. Mostly car that’s are Stage 1/2 tuned. I'm not the only one who’s differential just wanted to hit the grave.

IMG_0838.png

It will just make an hole in the bell housing, all the gearbox oil of the differential will flow into he bell housing where the clutch and the flywheel is located, both your differential and your clucth will be gone.

I know some of you will say that it only happens to people how launch hard and smash gears but I haven't done those that much, but it has not helped in my case, but when my differential broke I was driving uphill in Cruise control and the smell of gear oil appeared and clutch started slipping.

A manual 6 speed swap is bolt-on, it's like replacing your 5 speed trans except that you aren't putting the same parts. It probably cost less than replacing your broken trans for a stock one but the differential in the 6 speed is way stronger! It’s honestly just way stronger in general.....

Parts you need for an MK7 6 Speed swap

The MQ350 is the trans that we mostly find in some Mk4 GTI’s, all MK5 GTI’s, all Mk6 GTI’s and all MK7 GTI’s. The one I’m used is the MQ350 (MLB) from a 2016 Performance pack Gti.

The Hardware you need (NO MATTER WHAT) is listed below. For example If you get a transmission from an MK6 you need the hardware from a MK6. So I used MK7 parts because I got a MK7 Trans.
  • Gti 6 Speed Transmission (MQ350 Gearbox)
  • Gti Axles (AND AXLE BOLTS)
  • Gti Starter (THEY ARE NOT THE SAME)
  • Gti Transmission support (Trans mount to bracket)
  • Gti Transmission Bracket (Connects the mount to the trans)
  • Gti Slave cylinder / throw-out bearing (May come with clutch kit)
  • Gti Bleeder block and clutch line (YOU NEED IT)
  • Gti The shifter cables bracket (It holds your shifter cable on top of the transmission and it bolts on the transmission with 3 bolts)(YOU NEED IT)
  • Gti Clutch kit and Flywheel

*** Only use parts from The car the transmission came out of, the 1.8 TSI parts will not fit! I was told the Mk5/6 FSI flywheel has 6 bolts and our engines MK7/MQB (1.8/2.0 EA888) TSI Engines has 8 bolts! Do research if you swapping a mk5/6 transmissions***

Now you have every part for a MQ350 swap, I’ll say all the parts will cost a lot, depending on what you buy new and used.

*** Important notes / advices ***

Before installing the transmission, I recommend you to replace the differential seals (where the axle fit into the differential), it's cheap and it will avoid you future leaks. Keep in mind, that the trans have probably been stored for a long time, the seal might had the time to dry enough to break. I would also replace the slave cylinder / throw-out bearing, it costs a bit more, but it has a tendacy to break and leaks and you know the pattern, you will have to change your clutch if this happens. Buy it at your VW stealership, it doesn't cost that much more than an aftermarket part, it worth the extra cost for an oem quality product. My transmission had 5000km (3000 Miles) so I was ok.

The shifter box !

My opinion

Is I worth it? 100% yes! Just finished the the clutch break-in last night and gave her the beans and omg the 6 speed paired with the ECS Stage 2 Gti clutch kit doesn’t fuck around. It’s serious trans.

I also noticed that they are more aftermarket parts for an MQ350 than for our transmissions and it would also cost me less to repair it. It's easy to find a MQ350 at good price with low milleage!

I really hope this helps. I’ll answer any questions anyone has. Good luck with your swaps!!👍🏻

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
To add to the info about the MQ250 breaking, I have seen at least 2 examples of the differential giving out, and 3 or 4 examples of 3rd gear giving out (including mine). Those are the two main weak points of the MQ250. I don't think I've heard of any examples of the MQ250 breaking on only stage 1, but I have on stage 2 and beyond. I also don't think I've heard any examples of it breaking on the stock clutch (i.e. it only starts happening after the stock clutch starts slipping due to too much power).

Also, I know the flywheel bolt pattern for the mk6 GTI is identical to the mk7 EA888.3's, and I suspect it is the same on all EA888's. It's worth noting that early mk5 GTI's didn't use an EA888 engine, so those may not be the same.

Six Speed Tsi

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15Mk7 Vw Golf 1.8Tsi
To add to the info about the MQ250 breaking, I have seen at least 2 examples of the differential giving out, and 3 or 4 examples of 3rd gear giving out (including mine). Those are the two main weak points of the MQ250. I don't think I've heard of any examples of the MQ250 breaking on only stage 1, but I have on stage 2 and beyond. I also don't think I've heard any examples of it breaking on the stock clutch (i.e. it only starts happening after the stock clutch starts slipping due to too much power).

Also, I know the flywheel bolt pattern for the mk6 GTI is identical to the mk7 EA888.3's, and I suspect it is the same on all EA888's. It's worth noting that early mk5 GTI's didn't use an EA888 engine, so those may not be the same.
Oh yea forgot about third lol. Your forum was the first forum I ever read back when I got the car and reading yours was when I knew it was possible to do the swap. Thx for the information👍🏻

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Oh yea forgot about third lol. Your forum was the first forum I ever read back when I got the car and reading yours was when I knew it was possible to do the swap. Thx for the information👍🏻
:D Glad that what I put out there helps!