GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Giovanni Maggio’s 6 Speed Swap (From Mk7 Golf Tsi FB Group)

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Yup, you will definitely need both axles, flange is a different size. For the clutch, whether the mk7 clutch will work will probably depend on if the gear on the starter motor is the same for the mk5/6/7, but I haven't found any information saying they're not so you might be fine. As mentioned above, the transmission mount should be mostly the same for the mk5/6/7 gti, so whatever you get should be fine as long as it's for a gti. I think the only big things you might be missing are clutch line and shifter brackets.

I list everything I needed for the swap here: https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/rest-in-pieces-3rd-gear.360144/post-7250840

For that list, I think everything that applies to mk6 also applies to mk5.

EurownedMk7 1.8

Car(s)
2015 Vw Golf S 1.8
Already got the clutch line for a mk7 gti because i noticed the bend are different on other models so i went that route. Ill look in to the shifter brackets and what the look like, thanks for the link!

EurownedMk7 1.8

Car(s)
2015 Vw Golf S 1.8
Yup, you will definitely need both axles, flange is a different size. For the clutch, whether the mk7 clutch will work will probably depend on if the gear on the starter motor is the same for the mk5/6/7, but I haven't found any information saying they're not so you might be fine. As mentioned above, the transmission mount should be mostly the same for the mk5/6/7 gti, so whatever you get should be fine as long as it's for a gti. I think the only big things you might be missing are clutch line and shifter brackets.

I list everything I needed for the swap here: https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/rest-in-pieces-3rd-gear.360144/post-7250840

For that list, I think everything that applies to mk6 also applies to mk5.
And im gonna assume the mk5,6 axle splines will fit my hubs cause i got a mk5 driver side axle and about to get the passenger mk5 axle as well im tryna avoid any screw ups, my birthday is August 1st and theres nothing stopping me from driving it that day lol

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I know the mk6 axle fit, I think the mk5 should be the same spline.

Wolfsburg96

Car(s)
2017 Golf wolfsburg
An overall of what you need to know.

Manual 6-speed swap (MQ350)

OK! This will be basic but detailed. Parts of what you need for the 6 speed swap in a mk7 Golf 1.8 Tsi!

Why ?

The 5 speed (MQ250) differential is weak and has a tendency to break under moderate driving with a bit of hard driving. Mostly car that’s are Stage 1/2 tuned. I'm not the only one who’s differential just wanted to hit the grave.

View attachment 191701

It will just make an hole in the bell housing, all the gearbox oil of the differential will flow into he bell housing where the clutch and the flywheel is located, both your differential and your clucth will be gone.

I know some of you will say that it only happens to people how launch hard and smash gears but I haven't done those that much, but it has not helped in my case, but when my differential broke I was driving uphill in Cruise control and the smell of gear oil appeared and clutch started slipping.

A manual 6 speed swap is bolt-on, it's like replacing your 5 speed trans except that you aren't putting the same parts. It probably cost less than replacing your broken trans for a stock one but the differential in the 6 speed is way stronger! It’s honestly just way stronger in general.....

Parts you need for an MK7 6 Speed swap

The MQ350 is the trans that we mostly find in some Mk4 GTI’s, all MK5 GTI’s, all Mk6 GTI’s and all MK7 GTI’s. The one I’m used is the MQ350 (MLB) from a 2016 Performance pack Gti.

The Hardware you need (NO MATTER WHAT) is listed below. For example If you get a transmission from an MK6 you need the hardware from a MK6. So I used MK7 parts because I got a MK7 Trans.
  • Gti 6 Speed Transmission (MQ350 Gearbox)
  • Gti Axles (AND AXLE BOLTS)
  • Gti Starter (THEY ARE NOT THE SAME)
  • Gti Transmission support (Trans mount to bracket)
  • Gti Transmission Bracket (Connects the mount to the trans)
  • Gti Slave cylinder / throw-out bearing (May come with clutch kit)
  • Gti Bleeder block and clutch line (YOU NEED IT)
  • Gti The shifter cables bracket (It holds your shifter cable on top of the transmission and it bolts on the transmission with 3 bolts)(YOU NEED IT)
  • Gti Clutch kit and Flywheel

*** Only use parts from The car the transmission came out of, the 1.8 TSI parts will not fit! I was told the Mk5/6 FSI flywheel has 6 bolts and our engines MK7/MQB (1.8/2.0 EA888) TSI Engines has 8 bolts! Do research if you swapping a mk5/6 transmissions***

Now you have every part for a MQ350 swap, I’ll say all the parts will cost a lot, depending on what you buy new and used.

*** Important notes / advices ***

Before installing the transmission, I recommend you to replace the differential seals (where the axle fit into the differential), it's cheap and it will avoid you future leaks. Keep in mind, that the trans have probably been stored for a long time, the seal might had the time to dry enough to break. I would also replace the slave cylinder / throw-out bearing, it costs a bit more, but it has a tendacy to break and leaks and you know the pattern, you will have to change your clutch if this happens. Buy it at your VW stealership, it doesn't cost that much more than an aftermarket part, it worth the extra cost for an oem quality product. My transmission had 5000km (3000 Miles) so I was ok.

The shifter box !

My opinion

Is I worth it? 100% yes! Just finished the the clutch break-in last night and gave her the beans and omg the 6 speed paired with the ECS Stage 2 Gti clutch kit doesn’t fuck around. It’s serious trans.

I also noticed that they are more aftermarket parts for an MQ350 than for our transmissions and it would also cost me less to repair it. It's easy to find a MQ350 at good price with low milleage!

I really hope this helps. I’ll answer any questions anyone has. Good luck with your swaps!!👍🏻
As far as electrical and coding goes, would this parts list be applicable to swap a Mk7 golf with the aisin 09g auto to the mq350? Has anyone done that? Im pretty sure the ECUs are the same part number from the auto and manual mk7 golfs, if youre making a 5spd harness work on a 6spd transmission, whos to say i couldnt put a harness off of a 5spd tsi and then code it with OBD11...?

Last edited:

Six Speed Tsi

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15Mk7 Vw Golf 1.8Tsi
As far as electrical and coding goes, would this parts list be applicable to swap a Mk7 golf with the aisin 09g auto to the mq350? Has anyone done that? Im pretty sure the ECUs are the same part number from the auto and manual mk7 golfs, if youre making a 5spd harness work on a 6spd transmission, whos to say i couldnt put a harness off of a 5spd tsi and then code it with OBD11...?
It’s the same coding process from coding a 5 speed to 6 speed. and there’s some dash board coding you have to do as well but it’s very simple. if you ever get to that point we will figure out how we could contact each other. There’s no such harness for the manuals. and only thing is the clutch sensor that’s it.

Wolfsburg96

Car(s)
2017 Golf wolfsburg
It’s the same coding process from coding a 5 speed to 6 speed. and there’s some dash board coding you have to do as well but it’s very simple. if you ever get to that point we will figure out how we could contact each other. There’s no such harness for the manuals. and only thing is the clutch sensor that’s it.
Note to self.... start buying gti parts. Good to know. Ill starting looking for salvage/used parts. All i should need is trans, trans mount, axles, clutch, shift box, clutch pedal, some odd bits and bobbs and some wiring supplies to modify the harness to see the clutch pedal right? Can you code this through OBD11 pro or do i need a vagcom setup?

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Note to self.... start buying gti parts. Good to know. Ill starting looking for salvage/used parts. All i should need is trans, trans mount, axles, clutch, shift box, clutch pedal, some odd bits and bobbs and some wiring supplies to modify the harness to see the clutch pedal right? Can you code this through OBD11 pro or do i need a vagcom setup?
As far as I know you would be the first person to swap from the 09G to manual on the mk7. There are no ECU differences between the manual and auto (the ECU has the programming for both separately baked in), and you can change between auto and manual with OBDEleven. It would be worthwhile to double check all of the existing wiring/connectors to see what will and won't work between auto and manual. Another thing that comes to mind for me is the reverse sensor plug on the transmission, idk if that exists on the auto. I have a feeling that looking at the people who have done DSG to manual swaps on the GTI would help, I know there has been at least one that documented it decently well in a video.

Wolfsburg96

Car(s)
2017 Golf wolfsburg
As far as I know you would be the first person to swap from the 09G to manual on the mk7. There are no ECU differences between the manual and auto (the ECU has the programming for both separately baked in), and you can change between auto and manual with OBDEleven. It would be worthwhile to double check all of the existing wiring/connectors to see what will and won't work between auto and manual. Another thing that comes to mind for me is the reverse sensor plug on the transmission, idk if that exists on the auto. I have a feeling that looking at the people who have done DSG to manual swaps on the GTI would help, I know there has been at least one that documented it decently well in a video.
I pretty much do aircraft wiring for a living. If I had a pinout diagram for the ecu it would be easy money. Unfortunately VW doesnt exactly put that information everywhere.

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
I pretty much do aircraft wiring for a living. If I had a pinout diagram for the ecu it would be easy money. Unfortunately VW doesnt exactly put that information everywhere.
Ecu pinout is available in the FR. you can Google "Simos 18 FR" to find it.

Full car wiring diagrams are all available for download from VW, you just have to pay for access. It costs $30 for 24hr iirc. You can download as many docs as you want in that timeframe.

Dwreck520

Car(s)
Mk7 golf
Hey guys so I know that mk7 Gti coil overs wont fit because of the size difference 55-50mm, but will mk7 gti lowering springs work on the golf?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Hey guys so I know that mk7 Gti coil overs wont fit because of the size difference 55-50mm, but will mk7 gti lowering springs work on the golf?
Yes