GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Error: Service Vehicle

SennaHamilton

Unfortunately it depends on the tech but they did a very good job on mine. I can't tell anything was taken part. Maybe take a few pictures before it goes in of the shifter area, if they scratch something on accident they should replace it for free.

thanks for all replies!

i looked at the center console and it all looked to be one piece so i'm hoping they just remove the shift boot and boot console then dropped the shifter mechanism from under the car.

i did take tons of pictures for damages but i'm more worried how the tech puts the panels back together, and your right it does depend on the tech.

meaks30

Hi all.
I seem to be having this issue on my 2016 Sportwaggen. Happens when it’s very cold, and I I put the car in reverse/drive.

I called the dealership, needless to say they had no clue about issues with the shift lever. No clue about replacing the lever or if this is a common issue. All they can do is get me in for $130 diagnostic service...

I asked about the Recall 37L5 – Shift Lever Micro Switch. They said they haven’t gotten any of those yet, or parts do do the recall. Also I asked if they know if the two issues are related and what they actually replace for that recall. They said there is no remedy/procedures yet... even though the letters for the recall are out yet.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2018/RIONL-18V464-6792.pdf

Anyone know if the Recall 37L5 – Shift Lever Micro Switch should fix this issue?

I got this recall done yesterday and my error has finally disappeared. Thank fucking God. Tried to get the recall done once it dropped middle of last year but my local dealerships didn't have the parts to do it. Recently moved and my local one did and they got it done quick. I went a year with this stupid error. So relieved it's gone. It's like I have a new car lol

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
They replaced the shifter around Oct of 2017 and now it's coming back. Would this be considered a power train issue? My Golf is way out of warranty lol

Well that doesn't sound to good, I guess the moral of the story is if you can get it fixed free under warranty then do it, but don't pay $800 out of pocket to fix it just to have it comeback a year later.

spelk3

Ready to race!
Car(s)
‘17 BMW xDrive35i
Well that doesn't sound to good, I guess the moral of the story is if you can get it fixed free under warranty then do it, but don't pay $800 out of pocket to fix it just to have it comeback a year later.
I posted earlier about my error coming back after about a year also. I still need to see if they will replace it again even though I’m out of warranty.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid

I posted earlier about my error coming back after about a year also. I still need to see if they will replace it again even though I’m out of warranty.

Is VW warranty work covered if the same part(s) fails again within a certain time or do the new parts go by your original warranty end date?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Is VW warranty work covered if the same part(s) fails again within a certain time or do the new parts go by your original warranty end date?

I would think that it depends on the part that was replaced.

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
Have any of you with this error experience the car break down too, and maybe while in motion? In my '16 GTI S 6-speed DSG on occasion I would get the error going 70+ mph on smooth freeway. Obviously transmission failure would suck when picking up some speed.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
So has there been an official recall for this? If not it seems like there should be eventually.

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
No, this error that we’re talking about is purely a sensor.
Thanks for chiming in on that question. Curious too what others have to say. With respect to it being a sensor and for that reason not a concern, recently replaced a MK6 Jetta cam position sensor that caused limp mode and no start. And that's the important part of the experience I hope others can shed light on - is this transmission error nothing more than a warning? Or are there associated driveability concerns?

spelk3

Ready to race!
Car(s)
‘17 BMW xDrive35i
Thanks for chiming in on that question. Curious too what others have to say. With respect to it being a sensor and for that reason not a concern, recently replaced a MK6 Jetta cam position sensor that caused limp mode and no start. And that's the important part of the experience I hope others can shed light on - is this transmission error nothing more than a warning? Or are there associated driveability concerns?
I’ve had it for years, both before and after having the shifter assembly replaced. Never had any driving issues, just annoying warnings on the dash.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Not sure, but the rollover risk recall (37L5) fixed this problem for me.

That is interesting, perhaps the additional circuit board they installed during the recall somehow circumvents the faulty shift mechanism from tripping the old sensor. What I just wrote probably makes no sense. How often were you getting the service vehicle error?