GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Error: Service Vehicle

rayuki

So I apparently had this fixed in 2017, back when it was less well known. After the help from here and other sources they replaced the shifter mechanism and all was good. Until about 2 months ago it started randomly showing the error again just like before. Also just like before no fault is found when doing a scan.

The problem is my car is now out of warranty and this was fixed under warranty. I'm having issues with my local dealer (different dealer then one who fixed originally as I'm interstate now) they are saying without a fault code there is not much they can do since it can't be replicated. I've shown them pictures of the error and the recall notice issued by VW and also the previous service from replacement under warranty. They are telling me I have to pay to have it looked at but shouldn't this still be covered as it was a warranty replacement and now there is a recall. I'm a bit concerned since it started happening again already after only a bit over a year.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

tylerf0606

Ready to race!
Try another dealer? Reach out to VWOA? You might need to wait for the recall letter if they’re not going to warranty the part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
So I apparently had this fixed in 2017, back when it was less well known. After the help from here and other sources they replaced the shifter mechanism and all was good. Until about 2 months ago it started randomly showing the error again just like before. Also just like before no fault is found when doing a scan.

The problem is my car is now out of warranty and this was fixed under warranty. I'm having issues with my local dealer (different dealer then one who fixed originally as I'm interstate now) they are saying without a fault code there is not much they can do since it can't be replicated. I've shown them pictures of the error and the recall notice issued by VW and also the previous service from replacement under warranty. They are telling me I have to pay to have it looked at but shouldn't this still be covered as it was a warranty replacement and now there is a recall. I'm a bit concerned since it started happening again already after only a bit over a year.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Did you get a recall letter?

chuncomunco

Passed Driver's Ed
I've got the same issue. The error intermittently pops up in dash for a second and goes away. It's been happening once every few weeks. It does store a record in OBDeleven for me.

I'm hoping that they'll send me a recall letter at some point since i'm out of warranty already.

Just going to leave it for now since it's not causing any issues.

spelk3

Ready to race!
Car(s)
‘17 BMW xDrive35i
Unless VW changed something in the shifter assembly the problem will come back. I had mine replaced when I still had a warranty and the issue returned after about a year.

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
I wonder if anyone has tried to take the assembly apart and trying to fix/clean the sensor?

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
In the recent weeks, I've had this P1734 code pop up a few times after clearing it. My car is a 2017 Sport (newer modules) and little less than 2 years old with 4,500 miles on the car. I am APR TCU tuned, hopefully no issues getting the shifter replaced.

rtguy2

Passed Driver's Ed
2015 GTI APR Stage 2 93k miles. I have had this issue for over a year. Happens often. Checked my vin on vw site and no recall. I’m leaving it alone unless they fix it for free.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Just to give an update a little over a month and a half after the repair shifting is smoother than ever. I guess it did require some "break in time" for whatever reason. I would definitely recommend getting this fixed under warranty no matter how infrequently it occurs.

My warranty repair has held up so far. It's been about 10 months now. It seems more and more people are experiencing this so hopefully they really are issuing a recall.

SennaHamilton

having this done this to the wifes car tomorrow.

Does anyone know how invasive the job is? meaning are there any interior panels being removed? not a big fan of dealer techs removing panels.

spelk3

Ready to race!
Car(s)
‘17 BMW xDrive35i

Does anyone know how invasive the job is? meaning are there any interior panels being removed? not a big fan of dealer techs removing panels.

They replace the shifter assembly, so yes they need to take apart bits of the interior.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid

Unfortunately it depends on the tech but they did a very good job on mine. I can't tell anything was taken part. Maybe take a few pictures before it goes in of the shifter area, if they scratch something on accident they should replace it for free.