GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Error: Service Vehicle

FloridaNative

Passed Driver's Ed
My 2017 GTI DSG with 22k miles just did this. Message flashed by in the instrument panel very quickly twice within 30 minutes or so of starting car (upper 30F or lower 40F outside temps) and then nothing for another 800+ miles (on the road and didn't have time to pull codes or take to a dealer). No messages in the car status screen.

Code showed up in VCDS. Dealer pulled code, checked the wiring and replaced the shifter. And, like others here, they forgot to connect drive mode and traction control switches. First thing I checked when I picked up the car. They fixed those right then while I waited.

I am still in the 3/36 warranty so not sure which warranty would have covered it. If I was outside 3/36 I would argue that the shifter is an an integral part of the drivetrain and should be covered by the 5/60 warranty.

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Scala

Ready to race!
Mine is 2017 GTI with 33M and APR engine I & II stage modifications and DSG as well.

It started flashing the same message but in addition to the message it has gone on permanent limp mode. Accelerating produces misfires and detonation.

The dealer checked my VIN for recalls but the car is not listed for any.

robwclapp

This has been happening intermittently over the past year or so and I finally got around to taking it into the dealer today. Of course in my infinite wisdom, I waited until after the vehicle was out of warranty to do so. I'm not that bright sometimes. :cool:

To their credit the dealer immediately diagnosed it correctly based on what I've seen in this thread. They're wanting $888 to replace the shifter assembly. A few questions:

1.) I've shown them the TSB and the service advisor is investigating. What are the chances they'll cover it out of warranty?

2.) Is it even worth fixing? It's happening about once every week or two, with an occasional stint where it will happen a few days apart. Seems a few people have had the issue reappear even after the repair though, so I'm concerned its just going to come back again after it is replaced.

3.) I'm not opposed to trying to do this myself. How difficult is the repair if they end up not covering it? Anyone know exactly what part(s) needs to be ordered?

I have had the same message for several months. When I visited my dealer, he told me it is a known issue and that a recall to fix will be coming in January 2019.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IllinoisGTIGuy

This issue has been popping up for me and I can confirm that I got a warranty extension from VW around the first week of January. I'll be taking the car in this Friday to try and pull a code and get it fixed. I'll update with what I hear from the dealership.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mk7_kyle

Took mine in today. Shifter mechanism was replaced. Dealership had no questions about it and just did the replacement!

Scala

Ready to race!
At my dealership the resident whizard who has been installing all my APR parts & tunes already knew about the shifter issue and got my car in-n-out with excellent results.

Stackman1

Been having the error code on my 2015 GTI S for about 6 months so I've been watching this thread closely. Based on some of the responses, I was excited to hear about the potential recall to be issued.

However, called the closest dealer yesterday and they seemed clueless as to the shift assembly problem and knew nothing about a pending recall. I then called VW of America and inquired about a pending recall and the girl indicated there wasn't a pending recall.

Why is there so much conflicting information between dealers and VWoA? And how are you guys getting this repaired at no cost at some of these dealerships?

I'm afraid I'll get screwed as mine is out of the 3/36 warranty and currently has 50k miles. If someone has any advice, I'm all ears.

robwclapp

Been having the error code on my 2015 GTI S for about 6 months so I've been watching this thread closely. Based on some of the responses, I was excited to hear about the potential recall to be issued.

However, called the closest dealer yesterday and they seemed clueless as to the shift assembly problem and knew nothing about a pending recall. I then called VW of America and inquired about a pending recall and the girl indicated there wasn't a pending recall.

Why is there so much conflicting information between dealers and VWoA? And how are you guys getting this repaired at no cost at some of these dealerships?

I'm afraid I'll get screwed as mine is out of the 3/36 warranty and currently has 50k miles. If someone has any advice, I'm all ears.

Just yesterday, my dealer told me there is “an open recall” but dealers are still waiting for parts before recall notices will be sent out by VW.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jens0n

Go Kart Newbie
=o(

Msg now showing on a regular basis, am booked into VW dealer on 7th Feb to start the investigation.
I've managed to capture pics of the error in the event that error doesn't show on car log.

OneManDIY

Hi all.
I seem to be having this issue on my 2016 Sportwaggen. Happens when it’s very cold, and I I put the car in reverse/drive.

I called the dealership, needless to say they had no clue about issues with the shift lever. No clue about replacing the lever or if this is a common issue. All they can do is get me in for $130 diagnostic service...

I asked about the Recall 37L5 – Shift Lever Micro Switch. They said they haven’t gotten any of those yet, or parts do do the recall. Also I asked if they know if the two issues are related and what they actually replace for that recall. They said there is no remedy/procedures yet... even though the letters for the recall are out yet.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2018/RIONL-18V464-6792.pdf

Anyone know if the Recall 37L5 – Shift Lever Micro Switch should fix this issue?

Jens0n

Go Kart Newbie
=o(

Msg now showing on a regular basis, am booked into VW dealer on 7th Feb to start the investigation.
I've managed to capture pics of the error in the event that error doesn't show on car log.

Just collected car from dealer, they commented that it wasn't an uncommon fault and had ordered a bunch of parts in anticipation. They had the car for a day and advised "replaced selector unit" under warranty on a zero cost invoice.