GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Vortex - MQB Turbo

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Quick question: I see that the turbo muffler is not attached in the pictures posted. Does it come with the screws needed to mount it to the turbo? If not I'll have to grab some so I don't have to use the ones on my IS38; I would like to sell it as a complete unit once i get the EQT.

Yes, all hardware including turbo muffler screws are included.
Just not the actuator bolts, though they are the same size I believe.

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
I did have a question.
The kit came with a metal gasket for the diverter valve.

The factory one on the is20 didn't use one, instead using an o-ring.

I did not install the metal gasket and haven't had issues in the little driving i've done so far.

Anyone know more? Ed?

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie
I only had to get under the car to install the eqt pipe kit. All turbo work was top size.
That said, everything is in and driving. It's rainy in Portland right now(ya don't say) so anything about 4k rpm will start spinning.

No leaks, no check engine lights, about the only mishap with the install was the 'I' on my front GTI badge went missing... no idea. I took the whole thing off until I can get a replacement lol

I had been slightly worried as it kept smelling like coolant as the car warmed up, but I'm assuming it's just burning off the downpipe where it spilled.
Drove a few miles to get it up to temp and filled the overflow again.

To sum up my install: the charge pipe kit was the hardest part for me.

6 hour total install time
1 extra of testing and coolant filling

This was in my garage with a jack and jack stands. I do have some years of experience on cars, but anyone that is confident in their abilities should be able to tackle this in 6-8 hours.

I did mine two nights ago. I concur 6-8 with a buddy is about spot on. Couple tips to everyone:

Take mounting bracket completely off (mine was seized on from factory ugh)

Disc. oil return from the BLOCK, wait till off to do the one on the turbo.

Leave studs in.

Very important:

Slightly overfill oil into turbo. Wait 15-20 minutes for it to seep through. Unplug injector harness and crank 2-3 sets of 6 cranks at the end after wastegate adaptation.

Coolant will burp while idling, squeeze main coolant hose to help air get out. It takes awhile to bleed. Drive a little bit with heat on. Come back and do it again. When that hose starts to get hot to the touch you're about there.

Make sure to replace all gaskets and seals. Its about as hard as a direct fit intercooler install that requires cutting/trimming (cough, cts, cough). Aint bad atall though.

Here is a factory shop manual if anyone needs one

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9b7sfl3rmlw5j42/AADtPKlFvDNecWJ9owhYqbzna?dl=0

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

thanks much fellas. just want the turbo so i can concentrate on everything i need. trying to research as much as i can...i didn't know you had to pre-fill the turbo with oil. makes sense. wish i knew which hole. or maybe i can figure it out. and not use the coolant passages mistakenly.:) on the DP is it ok to just separate at V-band and you'll have enough room/clearance to work. meaning for your hands? I did the complete installs on the full exhaust, but forgot if i have to loosen it from the connector/coupling under the car to get the DP to move more. it's the type that doesn;t have an engine block to DP support like the factory. would just loosening at the V-band be enough? it's an R if that matters..thanks!!

Last edited:

TastyPancakes

Ready to race!
thanks much fellas. i didn't know you had to pre-fill the turbo with oil. makes sense. wish i knew which hole. or maybe i can figure it out. and not use the coolant passages mistakenly.:)

Top hole.

Top Hole: Oil Feed
Bottom Hole: Oil Return

Front Hole: Coolant Feed
Back Hole: Coolant Return

There....that covers all of the holes.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Just pull the LPFP fuse (optional, really) and crank it with the coils unplugged for a few 10-15 second bursts after install, turbo will be primed and immediately have oil pressure.

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie
Just pull the LPFP fuse (optional, really) and crank it with the coils unplugged for a few 10-15 second bursts after install, turbo will be primed and immediately have oil pressure.

optional to do the cranking? but i would think mandatory to pre-fill the oil into the turbo manually?

Last edited:

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
optional to do the cranking? but i would think mandatory to pre-fill the oil into the turbo manually?

Both are mandatory on a new turbo. This is also known as priming the wheel. You want oil to build up as fast as possible to center locate that bearing.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
I did have a question.
The kit came with a metal gasket for the diverter valve.

The factory one on the is20 didn't use one, instead using an o-ring.

I did not install the metal gasket and haven't had issues in the little driving i've done so far.

Anyone know more? Ed?

We found that some aftermarket DV’s don’t seal well at that top flange, so we included the metal gasket/spacer for those cases. When you install the DV, you can check if it has any wobble and if it leaves a little gap at that flange. If it does, add the spacer and it should be all good.

— Ed

Calkulin

Ready to race!
Top hole.

Top Hole: Oil Feed
Bottom Hole: Oil Return

Front Hole: Coolant Feed
Back Hole: Coolant Return

There....that covers all of the holes.

Not like it matters much since you can't mix them up with this turbo but the coolant feed is actually on the back of the turbo and the return is what goes to the metal line

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
Reserved for VTT dyno results at EQT's dyno facility 12/18/18

I have given you a lot of shit, Vargas, but I am super pleased that you are taking time out of your day to go and visit EQT for a heads-up comparison. Props to both you and Ed for putting this together and sharing with the group.

T2ae

Got mine in the mail finally after quite a wait. Turbo looks great. I was very nervous to open the box b/c shipping box looked a little beat up but really only one pipe of the piping kit was scraped. Turbo was packaged tightly enough it had no damage and looks amazing