GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Vortex - MQB Turbo

Hoon

Autocross Champion
You can grab a depo catted for cheap. It's 400 series so it'll rust, but it'll outlast the car and they're sub $400, and fit great.

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
is it that bad of an idea if someone is in the market for an is38 to just get an EQT instead and leave it turned way down? tbh if it were me I'd rather just get an EQT than an is38 even if i was just swapping out a stock is38 that failed. probably more reliable and lots of room to grow if ever get there and nearly the same price, difference in lag is nearly indistinguishable on the street

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
Im not in a hurry and I’m not flush with mod money. Slow learner is happy.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Im not in a hurry and I’m not flush with mod money. Slow learner is happy.

I'm sure you'll get there, it's just putting the cart before the horse. Usually, you get the other supporting mods (that most people would consider "required") before jumping to the hybrid. That way when you do get the hybrid, you already have the platform to support it.

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
The way I’m doing it is more punk rock. And I’ll dyno tune the vortex with no supporting mods and post here.
(the boost weather sale seduced me)

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
The way I’m doing it is more punk rock. And I’ll dyno tune the vortex with no supporting mods and post here.
(the boost weather sale seduced me)

At least do your engine a favor and hit a deer/wall/something at low speed so you can buy an intercooler at a minimum.

And stash away a $100 to buy an Amazon/eBay downpipe for your turbo.

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
So reading Ed’s posts, this time the early adopter threads on R mods section, I now see it’s foolishness to do this without FBO. Took 48 hours but I get it now. So....thanks!
turbo install eta now late fall :)
quick question, I’d like to do a stage2 UM on my is20 when I pass the JB4 to son1 in a few weeks. Do I HAVE to do the tcu? I can’t do both right now.

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
So reading Ed’s posts, this time the early adopter threads on R mods section, I now see it’s foolishness to do this without FBO. Took 48 hours but I get it now. So....thanks!
turbo install eta now late fall :)
quick question, I’d like to do a stage2 UM on my is20 when I pass the JB4 to son1 in a few weeks. Do I HAVE to do the tcu? I can’t do both right now.

Good call. Now if you want me to hold on to that Vortex for you until you're ready, let me know...

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Spend the money on FBO mods to support the turbo then install it all and get tuned. My 5c

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
Good call. Now if you want me to hold on to that Vortex for you until you're ready, let me know...
Billy’s holding it so I don’t wimp out and sell it lol

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
Don't want to run stock for 10 months.