GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Vortex - MQB Turbo

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
I posted this up on the EQT Facebook page but I know some don’t do Facebook. Another datapoint anyway and can see the impact the CO altitude has on the #s...

Today’s dyno #’s from Edge Autosport here in the Denver area. Dynomite AWD dyno which is not as common, but from what I understand from Alan at Edge, who is also local Cobb Protuner for this platform and others, it’s #’s are similar to what you would expect to see on a Dynojet. This seems to be correct based on a post I found on this forum where someone ran same car/same mods on Dynocom (same dyno EQT uses) and Dynomite and the Dynomite #’s were ~9% lower.
SAE Corrected(477whp),Std Corrected(499whp), and Uncorrected(414whp) #s attached.
I wanted to be at over 400 uncorrected for our high altitude (~5,400ft at Edge) and we hit that # nicely.
’16 R – DSG
Vortex Std/NO MPI/PM4/Pagparts 535 LPFP/HPFP/4 bar PUT/FBO
E30 (Nick @ EQT tuned)

View attachment 193430

View attachment 193431

View attachment 193432

awesome!! that is a great place for these cars power level wise imo. The next step up from there for more power is like 5x the cost and 5x the headaches or maybe 40-50whp more and is not worth all the effort. My car is at 480whp and I'm leaving it alone and car is an absolute hilarious blast with this much power on the street

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
If I buy another one Ed, will you remote tune twin turbos for free, as a sort of "technical exploration?" :-D

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Alright guys.... we have destroyed all previous sales records so far, so thank you all for the support!

We are now down to the FINAL WEEK of the Boost Weather Sale. The final day of the sale is November 30th. Don't miss out!

Thanks
-- Ed

Do you kick back divedends for those first few batches that spread the word on your greatness?

😉

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
Well, I wandered over to Billy’s shop this afternoon to buy a FCP Euro is38. Strong plan, but we couldn’t get the cybermonth discount to work. I told billy id email them, so what’s it cost without the discount. About $1400 bucks. I stupidly say out loud that’s nipping at EQT territory.
So moral of the story is never show up at your tuner’s shop with cash in your wallet and holiday spirit in your heart.
I’m now part of the club, and I want a free hoodie, just sayin.
I’ll tune it nice and easy with United Motorsports, install early spring. PUMPED!

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
I’m tapped out of mod money after the install and tune. What are the performance/feel gains of a catted downpipe, inter cooler and CAI? I dont have any of these awesome things.
Set up is 100% street.
cheers, rick

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I’m tapped out of mod money after the install and tune. What are the performance/feel gains of a catted downpipe, inter cooler and CAI? I dont have any of these awesome things.
Set up is 100% street.
cheers, rick

Wait, you bought a Vortex but have a stock DP and IC?

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
That's kind of a loaded question.

You bought an EQT turbo. You can run it without upgrading anything but you would really limit yourself. To the point that upgrading was kind of pointless. Just like an IS20 and IS38 you could tune it to a certain power level but without any supporting mods you're stuck there.

DP and intercooler are definitely worth it if you're trying to gain real power out of the turbo. A full CAI is not necessary. Upgraded filter and modified stock box would do the trick. I'd also at least consider a HPFP upgrade for some added fueling and the option to run a light E mix.

Most people run "street" setups here because they actually use their cars for normal car reasons. It's just a question of how much you want out of your "street" setup.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Does UM charge a fee for revisions after hardware upgrades too? Cause he will likely need one with the DP and IC changes.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Having a Vortex installed without the proper supporting mods?

MrW5mUX.gif

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
We don’t really NEED the vortex, the vortex calls to us. I’ll get there eventually, I promise. I’m almost finished reading the thread so I’m caught up. I’m saving for install and UM big turbo $400 fee. When son1 brings his Wagen home from LA, Billy’s gonna swap out my jb4 in my TT and put it in son1s 19 4motion. Then he’s gonna give me the UM S1 ECU/TCU treatment, which I’ll run til spring. Soooooo, what catted downpipe do you recommend sub $1,000? And yes to the HPFP, no doubt.

the downpipe is gonna cause me problems with moms, I already have a de resd REMUS, it’s gonna be very loud.
the tt

wagen:

Last edited:

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
Does UM charge a fee for revisions after hardware upgrades too? Cause he will likely need one with the DP and IC changes.
I’ll have to ask. As long as it won’t hurt anything, I’ll probably do the turbo install in April.

cr_sti

Go Kart Newbie
We don’t really NEED the vortex, the vortex calls to us. I’ll get there eventually, I promise. I’m almost finished reading the thread so I’m caught up. I’m saving for install and UM big turbo $400 fee. When son1 brings his Wagen home from LA, Billy’s gonna swap out my jb4 in my TT and put it in son1s 19 4motion. Then he’s gonna give me the UM S1 ECU/TCU treatment, which I’ll run til spring. Soooooo, what catted downpipe do you recommend sub $1,000? And yes to the HPFP, no doubt.

IE Downpipe is ~$700 on sale and is fantastic.

edit - their intercooler is also fantastic, and highly recommended for that hybrid