GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT E-Tuning Q&A

Tyler230

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
For the EQT standard brushless LPFP - the website says ECU tuning required. Does it require custom tune? Or will it work on a staged tune?

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
What does this mean for those of us who already have custom tunes?
IMG_4667.jpeg

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Very excited about this flex fuel compatibility business. Is there a plan for Stage 2/downpipe flex fuel, or would that have to be a custom tune?
+1, right now I would be happy with an EQT 93 Stg1 flex, the COBB 93 Stg1 left a lot to be desired off when compared to the EQT as far as drivability... would think the new flex fuel Stg tune would be the same. But, the idea of paying a little more than a sensor and harness on the market with included tune is very appealing.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
I think the ideal setup now that this is a thing, is a build with full E85 compatibility, but a tune that allows a range of 91 to E85, with no math required. I'd imagine that would become a custom tune at that point, but if it's even an option I'd be excited. I'm surprised there's no recommendation for upgrading any other hardware, but I suppose that's the case for blends up to E30 anyway, and this just allows for taking some advantage of a splash of E in the tank, so to speak?

Either way, very exciting.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
I don't have facebook so I'm not on the EQT page myself but I'm in a MQB chat with a lot of people who are and from what I have gathered it seems if it ends up that an OTS flex fuel tune isn't available for your setup than you'd have to opt for two custom fuel maps (say, 93 and E85) and then they can make a flex fuel tune from those. If you're running MPI to support E85 you're looking at an $1,100 tune based on the current pricing available on their site. Presumably, if you already have a custom tune on 91 or 93 it'd be less but I don't know.

Admittedly all hearsay from my point of view but hopefully that's not how it materializes, that's an expensive tune. I don't have E85 right down the street but I can be at an E station in 30 minutes so I'm intrigued by the whole thing. But not intrigued enough to pay that much.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
I don't have facebook so I'm not on the EQT page myself but I'm in a MQB chat with a lot of people who are and from what I have gathered it seems if it ends up that an OTS flex fuel tune isn't available for your setup than you'd have to opt for two custom fuel maps (say, 93 and E85) and then they can make a flex fuel tune from those. If you're running MPI to support E85 you're looking at an $1,100 tune based on the current pricing available on their site. Presumably, if you already have a custom tune on 91 or 93 it'd be less but I don't know.

Admittedly all hearsay from my point of view but hopefully that's not how it materializes, that's an expensive tune. I don't have E85 right down the street but I can be at an E station in 30 minutes so I'm intrigued by the whole thing. But not intrigued enough to pay that much.
I have, and I suspect a lot of people do, a custom tune for 93 and e85 on my vortex setup. If I could pay a fee so that they merge the two together and I don’t have to worry about flashing back and forth when I go on a trip I would pay it so long as it didn’t feel like price gouging. I recognize that it probably isn’t exactly easy but they wouldn’t be starting from scratch either.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Does anyone know if there’s any benefit to be had with the 5 bar sensors on the standard Vortex turbo with pump gas (92 octane)?
I see it as a way of future proofing. You’re running pump for now but what about if an e85 station opens at the end of your street? That quite literally happened to me. Those fuckers charge premium prices though. The racetrac by my work has e85 consistently cheaper than regular by about 20 cents.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
Just got my Vortex tunes done. Very happy with it. Literally feels no different than the is38 but then actually has some balls up top.

Bottom is a stock Golf R, Middle is 28psi, top is 31ish psi. All on 93 with a hpfp only.

Video here: https://youtube.com/shorts/nYTNmSCyj1o?si=BRYolrDW0P_9v4Po

Attachments

• IMG_0199.jpeg
    IMG_0199.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0193.jpeg
    IMG_0193.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 92
Last edited:

mrMTB

I see it as a way of future proofing. You’re running pump for now but what about if an e85 station opens at the end of your street? That quite literally happened to me. Those fuckers charge premium prices though. The racetrac by my work has e85 consistently cheaper than regular by about 20 cents.
Yeah, that’s really where my head is. I used to have an Evo X that I ran e85 on and it made 360awhp/400tq through the stock turbo-back exhaust. Alas that was DFW; up here in the PNW e85 is as elusive as Sasquatch.