GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT E-Tuning Q&A

ironicbadger

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 MK7.5 R EQT Stg1
I'm tracking my R a lot at the moment. I have an OTS EQT S1 tune and logged a few sessions last time out at VIR with high ambients (85f) on a mechanically 100% stock car. As you might expect by only a few minutes into the session the heat build up was becoming an issue and knock sensors were pulling up to 8 deg of timing - I could feel this in the car throughout the session getting worse, again as you would expect with OTS S1.

Since that event I have upgraded to the IE v2 intercooler and will be out again on track this weekend with even higher ambients. I think I'm looking for something like a Stage 0.5 tune that has a smooth curve and isn't pushing too hard for reliable extended track sessions.

Is this what your custom tune option would be able to achieve for me? A dyno day sounds interesting, what are my options around Raleigh, NC area?

Attachments

• datalog18.csv.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 32

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm tracking my R a lot at the moment. I have an OTS EQT S1 tune and logged a few sessions last time out at VIR with high ambients (85f) on a mechanically 100% stock car. As you might expect by only a few minutes into the session the heat build up was becoming an issue and knock sensors were pulling up to 8 deg of timing - I could feel this in the car throughout the session getting worse, again as you would expect with OTS S1.

Since that event I have upgraded to the IE v2 intercooler and will be out again on track this weekend with even higher ambients. I think I'm looking for something like a Stage 0.5 tune that has a smooth curve and isn't pushing too hard for reliable extended track sessions.

Is this what your custom tune option would be able to achieve for me? A dyno day sounds interesting, what are my options around Raleigh, NC area?
Ed does some tracking too, so he'll be able to get a custom tune setup for you.

But an oil cooler may still be in your future.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
OTS tunes leave a lot to be desired, no matter who the tuner is......you need an e-tune

scrllock

Autocross Champion

where are you getting 8deg from? that's extremely high, especially for a numbed EQT tune. if the tune is set up properly, the timing table will be targeting less due to IATs anyway and it shouldn't show up as knock reduction.

the issue with EQT ots stuff is they run it as spicy as they think they can get away with, even on stage 1 tunes. boost = heat, especially when you're overspinning to 28-29psi. I'd suggest keeping your IS38 in its efficiency range at 25-26psi with less timing up top than a "stage 1" on 93 and then let it eat timing when running ethanol. I've had a calibration like this for a few months now and it's been great for tracking.

ironicbadger

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 MK7.5 R EQT Stg1
where are you getting 8deg from? that's extremely high, especially for a numbed EQT tune. if the tune is set up properly, the timing table will be targeting less due to IATs anyway and it shouldn't show up as knock reduction.
There's some conversation about it this thread - but it's also in that attached log file from my previous post here.

the issue with EQT ots stuff is they run it as spicy as they think they can get away with, even on stage 1 tunes. boost = heat, especially when you're overspinning to 28-29psi. I'd suggest keeping your IS38 in its efficiency range at 25-26psi with less timing up top than a "stage 1" on 93 and then let it eat timing when running ethanol. I've had a calibration like this for a few months now and it's been great for tracking.
That's exactly it. I'm not after spicy on track. I'm after consistent! If you've got time to talk me through your calibration (maybe not in this thread) that'd be very handy.

UtahMK7.5

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
Just placed my Vortex order today and was surprised to see the Cobb and sensors ship 2 hours later! My question is will the Cobb come loaded with the base file if I chose to be tuned through you? Also I'm having a shop install the turbo once it arrives so I assume load the base file and I'm good to drive the car until my remote tuning date.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
93 atm. I’m just going to go with factory tune on track this weekend. The EQT sawce is a bit spicy.

We have many customers actively tracking their cars on our tunes. You need to address cooling for sure, and possibly fuel quality. You can always add some 100 octane from the pump at the track. PCV may be another factor.

The stock tune will end up pulling a lot of timing in similar conditions as well.

-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Just placed my Vortex order today and was surprised to see the Cobb and sensors ship 2 hours later! My question is will the Cobb come loaded with the base file if I chose to be tuned through you? Also I'm having a shop install the turbo once it arrives so I assume load the base file and I'm good to drive the car until my remote tuning date.

Custom tunes are not generally pre-loaded.

-- Ed

Tyler230

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
With your stage 1 E85 OTS tune that requires a HPFP upgrade - do you know the duty cycle of the LPFP? Is LPFP longevity a concern?

Tyler230

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
hint: if you want to "sniff" EQT tunes, there are many logs on datazap.

https://datazap.me/u/xxtheremedyxx/eqt-stage-1-e85-6322-athpfp?log=0&data=7-12-23&mark=1009
looks like 92%. better safe than sorry when you don't have a low pressure sensor.
Is that your log or someone else’s? I’d be curious how the stage 1 E85 duty cycle compares to a stage 1 93 tune, for example. I’ll have to try to find some logs to compare. I have some old logs from my 17 GTI stage 1 91 octane that shows about 91% LPFP duty cycle.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Is that your log or someone else’s? I’d be curious how the stage 1 E85 duty cycle compares to a stage 1 93 tune, for example. I’ll have to try to find some logs to compare. I have some old logs from my 17 GTI stage 1 91 octane that shows about 91% LPFP duty cycle.
random golf r stage 1 e85 with hpfp. here's a stage 1 93 log:

https://datazap.me/u/aviator35x/first-datalog-eqt-stage-1-93-octane?log=0&data=8-15-30

as you can see, they just crank the lpfp duty to 92% on their stock LPFP/DI-only tunes.