GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT E-Tuning Q&A

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
If it’s something major that puts you into a different stage tune, you would have to purchase the new map. Currently I don’t have any discount structure for this.

Thanks
— Ed

Copy that. Thx Ed!

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
FYI,

I’ll be on vacation until July 5th. Thanks for your patience!

— Ed

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
So I bought an AP and a stage 2 file about a month back and finally got around to installing all my parts today with a buddy. Plugged in the AP to flash and my eqt file is locked to a different AP. Currently flashing the Cobb stage 3 file for now. Emailed Ed and got an auto reply that he's on vacation until the 5th. Might be a good thing though, will give me a few days on the Cobb file to compare when I get and flash the eqt file.

azthegame

Ready to race!
So I bought an AP and a stage 2 file about a month back and finally got around to installing all my parts today with a buddy. Plugged in the AP to flash and my eqt file is locked to a different AP. Currently flashing the Cobb stage 3 file for now. Emailed Ed and got an auto reply that he's on vacation until the 5th. Might be a good thing though, will give me a few days on the Cobb file to compare when I get and flash the eqt file.

Definitely will get to see how crappy Cobb OTS maps are lol

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
1. is brake boosting available with EQT Cobb tune? is rolling anti lag available on this platform through Cobb?

Yep, brake boosting is enabled.

2. is boost by gear possible with Cobb in gears 1/2/3/4?

Max torque can be defined by gear. This equates to varying boost levels.

3. is the Cobb traction control adjustable? some tires or applications more wheel spin is better than in others, thinking hoosiers at the track vs michelin on the street

Yep, slip target is adjustable in the tune and real-time via the AccessPort

4. if a car has a GESI cat do you think it would probably pass CA smog emissions tailpipe testing with your 91 octane tune?

Most likely

5. do you do anything with idle tuning to help these mk7 cars idle more smoothly? I've driven a few mk7s now and all the ones I've driven seem to have some "hicups" in idle occasionally, have read it is because they idle super lean for emissions purposes.

Not too much done on the idle side. I don't want to run it any richer than stoich to keep smell down. I find that when they're mechanically sound, they tend to idle just fine. Hiccups usually have to do with worn plugs, electrical noise from wiring or piggy backs, or sometimes dirty injectors or O2 sensors.

6. do you change IAT vs. Timing pull on race gas or E blend tunes? of course E85 is way less sensitive to IATs than shite 91 octane pump gas

Yep I revise the IAT timing pull on higher octane tunes like E blends and race gas.

Thanks
-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R

Sorry about that, I'm starting to work through some of the backlog, so hopefully you won't be waiting too long.

-- Ed

Obakong

Ready to race!
Hi Ed,
I understand that MPI can help keep carbon buildup down, but I'm wondering if their are any performance benefits you are seeing between DI and MPI tunes.

Can you detail the benefit of going with Cobb MPI over DI with hpfp upgrade?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
Hi Ed,
I understand that MPI can help keep carbon buildup down, but I'm wondering if their are any performance benefits you are seeing between DI and MPI tunes.

Can you detail the benefit of going with Cobb MPI over DI with hpfp upgrade?

Thank you!

From what I have gathered, with supporting mods you can see a very nice bump in power from going DI to MPI with a retune. I think I saw someone pick up 70whp and at least as much wtq from switching 91 DI to E85 MPI

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
From what I have gathered, with supporting mods you can see a very nice bump in power from going DI to MPI with a retune. I think I saw someone pick up 70whp and at least as much wtq from switching 91 DI to E85 MPI

MPI is going to give you a ton of fueling headroom, but if you don't have upgraded MAP sensors to push the turbo past 28-29psi you can still make great numbers without MPI. Full E85 at those pressures would still give gains, but maybe not enough to merit the cost of MPI.

Just depends on your goals. An E30 tuned car @28-29psi did 500whp on Ed's Dyno with just HPFP/LPFP upgrades, where Ed trying to blow up his car did 600whp with full E85 and MPI.

If you know you're going to push upwards of 30psi from the start, save your money and skip the HPFP, put that towards the MAP sensors, run MPI and enjoy.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Sorry about that, I'm starting to work through some of the backlog, so hopefully you won't be waiting too long.

-- Ed

Patrick sent me the correct file Monday and I flashed it that night. Much smoother and more powerful than the Cobb file and no more cel because of my cat less downpipe.

Any idea on when or if Cobb will support the dq381? The 7 speed is lazy to upshift in manual mode on the stock tune. It’s delay caused me to hit the rev limiter the other day and it auto upshifted on top of my request lol.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Patrick sent me the correct file Monday and I flashed it that night. Much smoother and more powerful than the Cobb file and no more cel because of my cat less downpipe.

Any idea on when or if Cobb will support the dq381? The 7 speed is lazy to upshift in manual mode on the stock tune. It’s delay caused me to hit the rev limiter the other day and it auto upshifted on top of my request lol.

You know, Ed does TCU tunes as well.

armstrom

Passed Driver's Ed
Quick question. How many readiness indicators are off with your tunes when disabling CEL for a non-stock downpipe? I've done some searching and can't seem to find a straight answer. Some people with various stage 2 tunes have reported multiple readiness failures while other's have said there's only one failing check for the secondary O2 sensor.

Thanks!
-Matt

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Quick question. How many readiness indicators are off with your tunes when disabling CEL for a non-stock downpipe? I've done some searching and can't seem to find a straight answer. Some people with various stage 2 tunes have reported multiple readiness failures while other's have said there's only one failing check for the secondary O2 sensor.

Thanks!
-Matt
I have all emission codes ready with my EQT E tune and recently passed emissions. On a side note I have not had a single cell generate since reactivation all emissions readiness indicators.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

azthegame

Ready to race!

Thanks!
-Matt

Recently had my inspection done. All my readiness monitors show ready and I am running a CTS turboback exhaust with a cat and no spacer. The cat is in the midpipe and not in between the two o2 sensors so its literally not factoring into the monitors at all, just there for show and to indeed filter the exhaust.

I still have codes for o2 sensor lean, and efficiency below threshhold, but they don't cause the CEL to illuminate and the car passed just fine.