GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT E-Tuning Q&A

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
you're not even going WOT? highest pedal position like 57 percent. That knocks looks pretty minimal...dont sweat it.

Best procedure for logging is start around 2500-redline, WOT, single gear pull.

Jshinz24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 SE MT
you're not even going WOT? highest pedal position like 57 percent. That knocks looks pretty minimal...dont sweat it.

I have another one that was too large to upload to data zap. That one I posted was just a little blip. But it is how I drive down a couple of the backroads I choose to tune on. I'll upload another one.

Jshinz24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 SE MT
I have another one that was too large to upload to data zap. That one I posted was just a little blip. But it is how I drive down a couple of the backroads I choose to tune on. I'll upload another one.

Thanks for the input, btw! I really don't go WOT a whole lot when I'm driving hard on these roads, now that I think about it. I have been really enjoying rolling into the throttle alot more now that I'm tuned lol They are pretty curvy and straight shots are pretty few and far in between. Pretty fun stuff!

EDIT: Here is another one

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Anything look out of line with this log? This is on a Stage 2 GTI. I thought I had EQT's parameter list loaded, but when I first started logging it said there were too many parameters selected, so I had to uncheck some stuff, mostly the DSG stuff from the TCU tune. Hopefully it still has all the important bits.

ScozR

Ready to race!
Hey guys! Thought I should probably post my tuning results for those who are interested. I hope this serves as a good reference for anyone who may experience similar conditions to me.

I live in BC, where we pay the highest prices in Canada for some garbage gas (questionable quality and octane ratings and no ethanol in any of the high octane fuels). Its great. I think its probably not the smartest idea to tune a car here, most definitely not with a canned tune, which I learned the hard way. I started with EQT stage 1 ECM and TCM maps, 91 octane and RS7 plugs and the car did not like it! There was audible pinging from the engine bay with WOT. Not good! I posted a few logs earlier in this thread and am happy some of you advised to go the custom route, so I did right away.

On the first few revisions of the custom tune, same thing: knock city and the car didnt run all that great. At one point, I experienced a misfire in cylinder 3 during a logging session and the ecu shut the cylinder down. That sucked and I almost gave up in fear of damaging the engine. Nick advised to check and change the plugs so we went with NGK-9 race plugs and I put in some 94 octane fuel. These two changes made a massive difference. The car felt much quicker, no audible ping and the logs were hugely improved. Still, there was more knock retard than I was happy with so Nick took out some boost and timing for further safety.

Now the car runs pretty clean with a knock event here and there but to achieve this, we needed a 2 step colder plug, 94 octane fuel on a de-tuned "stage 1" custom tune. Oye! I'd love to get my hands on some E85 to add to the tank but its nowhere to be found around here.

At any rate, I'm happy with the car's power, and the DSG tune is frickin awesome too. I have an IE intercooler here ready for installation as well in hopes of helping those IATs and further reducing the risk of big knock events. Here is the last set of data I recorded. This was a WOT run from second through to fifth. Let me know what you guys think! And thanks to this forum for great advice, and to Nick from EQT who was pretty great.

https://datazap.me/u/scozr/29-october-2020?log=0&data=8-14

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hey guys! Thought I should probably post my tuning results for those who are interested. I hope this serves as a good reference for anyone who may experience similar conditions to me.

I live in BC, where we pay the highest prices in Canada for some garbage gas (questionable quality and octane ratings and no ethanol in any of the high octane fuels). Its great. I think its probably not the smartest idea to tune a car here, most definitely not with a canned tune, which I learned the hard way. I started with EQT stage 1 ECM and TCM maps, 91 octane and RS7 plugs and the car did not like it! There was audible pinging from the engine bay with WOT. Not good! I posted a few logs earlier in this thread and am happy some of you advised to go the custom route, so I did right away.

On the first few revisions of the custom tune, same thing: knock city and the car didnt run all that great. At one point, I experienced a misfire in cylinder 3 during a logging session and the ecu shut the cylinder down. That sucked and I almost gave up in fear of damaging the engine. Nick advised to check and change the plugs so we went with NGK-9 race plugs and I put in some 94 octane fuel. These two changes made a massive difference. The car felt much quicker, no audible ping and the logs were hugely improved. Still, there was more knock retard than I was happy with so Nick took out some boost and timing for further safety.

Now the car runs pretty clean with a knock event here and there but to achieve this, we needed a 2 step colder plug, 94 octane fuel on a de-tuned "stage 1" custom tune. Oye! I'd love to get my hands on some E85 to add to the tank but its nowhere to be found around here.

At any rate, I'm happy with the car's power, and the DSG tune is frickin awesome too. I have an IE intercooler here ready for installation as well in hopes of helping those IATs and further reducing the risk of big knock events. Here is the last set of data I recorded. This was a WOT run from second through to fifth. Let me know what you guys think! And thanks to this forum for great advice, and to Nick from EQT who was pretty great.
Where's the log? You could use Torco to raise the octane. That's what I do.

ScozR

Ready to race!
Where's the log? You could use Torco to raise the octane. That's what I do.
Oops. I thought I forgot something! Edited the original post.

I've considered an octane booster for quite a while now but can't ever bring myself to buy it. Its something I and the internet seems unsure of regarding long-term engine problems related to it.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Oops. I thought I forgot something! Edited the original post.

I've considered an octane booster for quite a while now but can't ever bring myself to buy it. Its something I and the internet seems unsure of regarding long-term engine problems related to it.
I've been using Torco continuously for over 30,000 miles on a 416 HP GTI. Other than turning the spark plugs a slight orange color I don't notice anything else. Doesn't hurt the spark plugs either.

GTI_Jerm

Go Kart Champion
So after a few days of driving, switching from APR to EQT, I'm starting to notice this sound on part throttle ~40% that sounds like a squeal. I initially thought it was my tires breaking traction, but after doing it consistently and not seeing the traction control pop up, I know that isn't what's going on. I've read a few posts on the DV dumping boost and what not, but just wanted to get some clarification for peace of mind.

Thanks

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Was there a shift at 6s or did you let off and then hit the gas again? I know you're trying to pick up the sound but I was trying to watch the tach and your phone is all over the place.

It sounds like its just the diverter valve. I'm not tuned yet but with an intake it's much louder. I dunno if you're stock intake or not but with a tune you should be pushing more air and that would make the diverter valve blowoff more apparent.

EDIT: ^^ what Diggs said

GTI_Jerm

Go Kart Champion

so completely normal
Was there a shift at 6s or did you let off and then hit the gas again? I know you're trying to pick up the sound but I was trying to watch the tach and your phone is all over the place.

It sounds like its just the diverter valve. I'm not tuned yet but with an intake it's much louder. I dunno if you're stock intake or not but with a tune you should be pushing more air and that would make the diverter valve blowoff more apparent.

EDIT: ^^ what Diggs said
no, I was still in 2nd gear trynna hear that obnoxious crackle tune garbage that I wanna get rid of now haha. I've still got the stock intake and it's unmodified. That sound was never apparent when I was with APR so it was kind of concerning.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Completely normal DV operational sounds.