GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine Issues - Advice

Acruz

Hello,

Looking for some advice on what could have caused my engine failure and tips on moving forward to get it repaired.

So I was driving my 2016 GTI Autobahn with 82k miles on it to work last Wednesday when it broke down. Started to get a weird vibration took the next exit and the car vibrated bad in 1st and turned off. This was the exit for my work coincidentally so less than 5 minutes from engine warning light and vibration to getting off the interstate. Had it towed to the dealership and they're saying that I need a completely new engine. Borescope determined that the piston collided with the valves. They quoted $14k, which no way that's happening.

I'm just looking for advice on handling the situation and what could have caused this. I know I'm out of the power warranty by 20k but still in the 5 year time period. I've followed the maintenance on the vehicle and then some. I also don't drive it hard. I drive like an old man to and from work with some casual road trips here and there. No tunes or aftermarket anything on it.

As of now I've reached out to VW of America to see if any assistance can be offered. They've been pretty frustrating to deal with. I'm trying to see if they'll offer anything if not I'll take it to a independent car shop. I'm guessing the tensioner on the chain or the chain itself failed to cause the issue, but I'm not sure.

This has really shaken my trust in VW. They don't seem to be standing by their product. I'm pissed because I'd expect this car to make it more than 82k miles / 3.5 years. Is this a freak thing or a common issue? Any way to force VW's hand?

Thanks. Any help is appreciated.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
if your dealer likes you they can put it a good word....doubtful it will help being that far over the wtty number (60k?)

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
Timing chain?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
^THIS! You can build it for 4k and have a monster

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I'd tow it to another shop no matter what. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if the chain jumped a tooth and still ran, it would run rough but I'm not so sure you bent the valves. The engine would have little if any compression and wouldn't run at all. I'm thinking the most you'll need is a new chain, sprockets and tensioner. It wouldn't be the first time a dealer tried to cheat a customer.

mike-y

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI / 2016 R
Dealers are less likely to tear apart a motor to find out what's wrong and fix it. it's easier for them just to replace the whole thing - more money and less time for them. Find a local mechanic that can quote a rebuild for you, that's really your only option at this point.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
Forget the dealership, unless VW decides to help you out and pay for an engine.
I’d look into sourcing a low mileage used engine and have an independent shop swap it.

cb1111

Write a real letter to VW. Send it certified or registered to the address in your owner's manual.

Explain that while you are outside the mileage warranty, you are still within the time portion of your warranty and this type of failure shouldn't have occurred unless there was a manufacturer's defect.

Close the letter asking for a goodwill repair.

Why a letter? It needs to be signed for, sliced open and put on somebody's desk. Somebody else needs to read and take some action. Until completed, it sits on the desk like a festering sore.

Emails and telephone cases tend to drop off the screen quickly and while there is a tracking system in place, it isn't as effective as that piece of paper smoldering on the desk and the letter usually gets to somebody that can actually do something.

Draft a letter and post it here if you like and we'll help focus it.

GolfR-BA

Passed Driver's Ed
Coworker with a GTI had the engine let go at 70k miles. Local shop installed used motor with 17k miles for about $5k.
Two years later it runs perfect and no issues since install.
Like others said, ditch the dealer and call some local shops...?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
$14k is probably for a brand new long block, which you don't need. You should be able to get a rebuilt/used motor for a lot less than that.

A friend of mine picked up a motor from an R out of a car that was totaled for $1500 and it only had 12,000 miles on it.