GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downpipe advice

Buguyed

Ready to race!
Not sure if this belongs here or in parts..

A local member is selling an APR downpipe that was used for about 5-10k miles. He was the original owner and is looking to sell for $700. Does this price seem reasonable or should it be reduced due to its age?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule

A local member is selling an APR downpipe that was used for about 5-10k miles. He was the original owner and is looking to sell for $700. Does this price seem reasonable or should it be reduced due to its age?

Thanks!

How much is a new one? Are you already stage 2?

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie

Thanks!

$400 Max

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
It's $900 new (OP has an R, not GTI).

Excellent condition I'd do $600, that's it though.

$900 for the R vs $750 for the GTI is just them trying to take advantage of the R buyer. The difference is 12" of pipe.

IE charges the same for the R or the GTI which calls out APR.

I'd buy the IE for $712 before I spent $600 on a used APR.

I've had both.

Buguyed

Ready to race!
$900 for the R vs $750 for the GTI is just them trying to take advantage of the R buyer. The difference is 12" of pipe.

IE charges the same for the R or the GTI which calls out APR.

I'd buy the IE for $712 before I spent $600 on a used APR.

I've had both.

I am leaning heavily towards the APR route as it’s the most quiet and no CEL.

Buguyed

Ready to race!
How much is a new one? Are you already stage 2?

New is $900 and not stage 2 yet, just a cheap price I don’t want to pass up while it’s available. New clutch going in hopefully in April... Then stage 2.

If I buy stage 1 APR and have the downpipe, I would (presumably) get stage 2 tune for free.

vwinva

Ready to race!
I am leaning heavily towards the APR route as it’s the most quiet and no CEL.

You will get a CEL with APR. first hand experience with it as it gave my car a cel within 100 miles of putting it on.

Pretty sure you are confusing APR with AWE. AWE is the only company that provides a no cel guarantee with their downpipes due to the type of cat they use which other companies don’t use due to the cost.

Last edited:

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
It's $900 new (OP has an R, not GTI).

Excellent condition I'd do $600, that's it though.
I see them go for $500 pretty often.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Elaborate please.

You’ll still get a CEL with APR (until you’re tuned) and it’s not the quietest downpipe.

AWE (cel Free), IE, Neuspeed, and others with the cat closer to the turbo will be noticeably quieter than apr.

Of those IE is the cheapest as others have mentioned. I’ve personally installed one for a customer and it was well built

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo

Cool Hand Luke

Passed Driver's Ed
You will get a CEL with APR. first hand experience with it as it gave my car a cel within 100 miles of putting it on.

Pretty sure you are confusing APR with AWE. AWE is the only company that provides a no cel guarantee with their downpipes due to the type of cat they use which other companies don’t use due to the cost.
I don't believe that statement one bit. I've got almost 7,000 miles on my APR downpipe I bought brand new and I've never had a check engine go on in my Golf R EVER... I drive a Stage 2, 2018 DSG Golf R. Maybe you had a defective pipe or bad tune?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk