GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
Are there any compatibility issues if sourcing the screen and the head unit from multiple sources versus the same vehicle? Where are you getting the wiring harness from?

MIB2 unit may be more important and I sourced mine from a wrecked GTI to replace in my GTI thinking it will be easier to code...in the end anything can be done with the right resources. You can find wiring on ebay (one example below)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174328260349?hash=item2896c626fd:g:thcAAOSwK1he-jI0

brownnugen

Car(s)
2015 GSW TDI
I just ordered a 6.5" display from a GTI on ebay and a head unit "brain" from a Tiguan. Would you recommend this USB wiring harness from aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256801295152665.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.c7e34f62DBoNVU&algo_pvid=0d616bbe-d485-432c-a093-eec0f98d9a62&algo_exp_id=0d616bbe-d485-432c-a093-eec0f98d9a62-0&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"12000027407277335"}&pdp_npi=2@dis!USD!!49.28!!!!!@2103255a16556541297563112eb464!12000027407277335!sea

Does it come with the actual USB part as well or is it just the wiring? Is it true that the old wiring harness can work with the new USB socket if the pink plug has a part "trimmed" or do you need to buy a new harness to get the new USB socket to work? I am assuming that is what needed to get Carplay functionality?

What other parts will I need to purchase for this and if there are one time use parts, is it better to rent them versus buying them? I have VCDS, but not the OBDEleven.

Last edited:

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
I just ordered a 6.5" display from a GTI on ebay and a head unit "brain" from a Tiguan. Would you recommend this USB wiring harness from aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256801295152665.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.c7e34f62DBoNVU&algo_pvid=0d616bbe-d485-432c-a093-eec0f98d9a62&algo_exp_id=0d616bbe-d485-432c-a093-eec0f98d9a62-0&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"12000027407277335"}&pdp_npi=2@dis!USD!!49.28!!!!!@2103255a16556541297563112eb464!12000027407277335!sea

Does it come with the actual USB part as well or is it just the wiring? Is it true that the old wiring harness can work with the new USB socket if the pink plug has a part "trimmed" or do you need to buy a new harness to get the new USB socket to work? I am assuming that is what needed to get Carplay functionality?

What other parts will I need to purchase for this and if there are one time use parts, is it better to rent them versus buying them? I have VCDS, but not the OBDEleven.
That harness should work, it is aftermarket, so not sure how well it’s made…it comes with the USB/AUX ports and actual wiring, so it’s a complete package. I think MIB1 wiring is useless.
You should not need any other hardware, except installation tools, VAS5054 (Clone) and Dlink USB Lan adapter. You can rent one from one of the users here (xabhax) and simaservis1108 can help you with coding part. I did not need VCDS nor OBDeleven.
You will need VW radio removal tools to remove the screen and brain from the glovebox.

MattRabbit

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf TDI
The one thing I really wish was available is an 8" glass screen bezel in the brushed aluminum finish to match the earlier mk7 Golfs. They only make it in piano black and the shiny gray. Has anyone found a vinyl wrap that matches at least relatively close? I'd like to put one of the 8" screens in my car, but I'd like everything to match without having to source an entire car's worth of trim pieces.

Jaime2823

Based on my understanding, North America Region MIB2 brains support Sirius XM and HD Radio, and units sourced from other parts of the world may not have specific hardware to support. I'm not sure if its a matter of a license being unlocked.

Here's an example from a unit of eBay:
The label on this one shows sxm and HD Radio.

View attachment 252090
My unit does have an HD radio sticker but it was sourced from Brazil, so I'm guessing it might not be compatible?

brownnugen

Car(s)
2015 GSW TDI
Ok, so I received my 6.5" display and MIB2 head unit and installed them into my car just to make sure things are working. The component protection is activated so I am very limited things I can do to test it out. I was able to set up my connect my phone to the head unit and make calls via bluetooth but the reverse camera doesn't show up and I have no volume. I am also not able to play Pandora from my phone via media. Is it safe to assume that is all "normal" until I can get the component protection turned off?

One thing that struck me as unusual was my airbag error light came on immediately after hooking everything up. Has anyone else experienced that?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Not unusual, airbag light will come on if you disconnected the airbag light indicator in the center of the middle vents. Should be able to clear the fault with VCDS or Obdeleven.

No sound is because of component protection. I'm not familiar with playing Pandora via media. If I use Pandora it's just running on my phone and playing via Bluetooth or using CarPlay/AA. But that could be a component protection issue.

Have you coded the new unit for your car? If not the reverse camera is probably not coded.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
The first and second post of this thread have been kept up to date. Of course there are bits of situation specific info sprinkled throughout the 1400+ posts in this thread... but post 1 and 2 will get you at least 98% of the way there.

If you haven't got a plan for a remote session to get CP taken care of and activations done you'll need one.

Alternatively you could have the dealer take care of CP then there are DIY threads to hack/activate your unit. I don't know that it's discussed much in this thread, and it's beyond me anyway 😂.

I miss Charleston... pains me to deal with MTP (and now most of the city) traffic though, I grew up on James Island. The traffic there isn't like it in Los Angeles where I live now, but when I was young the only real traffic was in MTP and could be mostly avoided. Not like that anymore.

brownnugen

Car(s)
2015 GSW TDI
I routed the new USB/aux wires this morning and it was pretty straight forward, so I was able to verify Carplay does work (until I get CP removed). With the Apple lightning cable plugged into the USB and the thickness of the cable, are you able to shut the door of that center console? Or do you have to keep your phone inside that compartment if you want to shut the door?

I remembered seeing someone mentioned saving settings from the old MIB1 head unit on a SIM card or something like that, but not sure how to access those settings; come someone please provide directions on that?

Cuzoe, I live in MTP now; traffic can suck, but much better than the DC area I moved from.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
It would have to be an SD card, but I've never heard of saving any settings to it. The first couple posts in this thread talk about how you transfer settings... Reference a scan of your car with the old unit, or take a scan with the old unit. Then match those settings in your new unit. There's no other way to do it.

Even if you could save the settings on your MIB 1 to an SD card, there's no way any smart design would let you upload those to another unit with different part number and software, too risky.

I've never tried to close that department with my phone in it. Some people have punched a hole in the back of that cubby and run the USB up and out of the center vent to a phone holder for a discrete install. Or pick up one of the wireless Android Auto or CarPlay dongles. Leave that in the cubby and let your phone can stay in your pocket if you want.

brownnugen

Car(s)
2015 GSW TDI
I just received VAS 5054A and D-Link DUB-E100 today, so I think I have everything needed before calling simaservis to do his magic.

I currently still have the bezel and other trim pieces off the car and in a box; can I go ahead and put those back on or will I need to keep those off until after I get simaservis to do his thing?

Reading prior posts, people used VMWare Player version 14; should I go ahead and use the latest version (16) or is there a reason to use version 14?

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I've only used 14, it works so I'm not changing anything, lol. I've done remote sessions with multiple people and they always say download version 14. It's not available on VMware's site anymore I assume but it's easy to find a download.

Sometimes the later versions change something, include some mandatory feature, or no longer support feature x. If you are being sent a working virtual windows install it's best to open it on the VMware version where it was created, even though it should work fine on later versions... no need to introduce a new variable.

I haven't needed to have trim removed for any remote sessions. The only slim possibility is that he asks you to connect your old glovebox unit to check something. But no trim for that. And no need to connect the old screen.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Sometimes remote coders will send you a VMWare image that already has their ODIS setup and anything else they might use. Of course they can also remote in using something like Flexihub.

But if they are doing something like flashing firmware it's better to have it going locally in a VM than on their remote computer. That way if the internet connection gets flaky/drops it doesn't cause the flash to fail.