GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
I just received VAS 5054A and D-Link DUB-E100 today, so I think I have everything needed before calling simaservis to do his magic.

I currently still have the bezel and other trim pieces off the car and in a box; can I go ahead and put those back on or will I need to keep those off until after I get simaservis to do his thing?

Reading prior posts, people used VMWare Player version 14; should I go ahead and use the latest version (16) or is there a reason to use version 14?

I worked with simaservis and had me install teamviewer in order to have remote access to the laptop. Also, make sure your laptop has SD card slot and you have SD card available.
Before he did any coding, I had to plug in the old MIB1 unit (only quadlock connector) so the existing settings could be copied and applied to the new setup.
You can put all trim pieces back, there is no need to remove screen or USB port from the cubby, but you may have to pull new MIB2 brain from the glovebox and connect the old one so existing configuration can be copied.

brownnugen

Car(s)
2015 GSW TDI
Simaservis performed his magic for me last weekend and it took about an hour. Everything is working well and I am glad I did the conversion. Carplay is a really nice feature to have.

Teamviewer is the program you need to download so he can work on your stuff remotely.

Having said that I have the VAS 5054A and D-Link DUB-E100 and radio removal tools that I can rent to anyone that needs them.

Wilkius

Car(s)
2015 Golf TDI
I am starting my conversion from MIB1 to MIB2. Not going well so far.

I know I need component protection removed et al. My remote coder is asking for the SW train version....

BUT I can't get the unit to show up at all. I've installed an MIB2 amp, the 8" matte display and the 2016 Harmon MIB2 unit in the glovebox.

The Harmon unit does warm up, but nothing shows on the display when the vehicle is turned on, just accessory on (start button), or after holding the power button forever. No idea what to do to troubleshoot this. I've tried re-connecting everything.

EDITED TO ADD - this is a unit from a wrecked Golf R. So not hacked.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Are you able to access the unit with VCDS or Obdeleven? Even without the screen on you should be able to access it.

If you cannot then first thing I would do is check everything is securely connected. Even with it getting warm that only means power is connected.

Assuming you can access with your diagnostic tool... next is to check the screen connector. If you're using the 8" I assume you had to shave/slice off one of the "keys"at the monitor connection. Make sure it's fully seated. It can be "stuck" in there but not be all the way in.

Wilkius

Car(s)
2015 Golf TDI
Are you able to access the unit with VCDS or Obdeleven? Even without the screen on you should be able to access it.

If you cannot then first thing I would do is check everything is securely connected. Even with it getting warm that only means power is connected.

Assuming you can access with your diagnostic tool... next is to check the screen connector. If you're using the 8" I assume you had to shave/slice off one of the "keys"at the monitor connection. Make sure it's fully seated. It can be "stuck" in there but not be all the way in.
We're on the right track. I did scan it and it showed up with VCDS. I shaved the connector down but potentially not a solid connection. I suspect I'm connecting something incorrectly to it because the colours don't match the MIB1 system. Will start again in the AM but now trust that the unit isn't DOA. Thanks for this troubleshooting - it's appreciated and I'll update with progress!

Wilkius

Car(s)
2015 Golf TDI
Totally loser error.
I was referencing the pin out colours on a similar MIB2 system and they switched colours but kept the same layout for MIB2. We're up!
Thank you @Cuzoe for pointing me in the right direction!

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Totally loser error.
I was referencing the pin out colours on a similar MIB2 system and they switched colours but kept the same layout for MIB2. We're up!
Thank you @Cuzoe for pointing me in the right direction!
Nice! Glad to hear it... and yeah just match the "locations" basically and ignore the colors, haha.

Haulien

Car(s)
VW Golf MK7 R
Did a MIB1->MIB2.5 conversion about a month ago, and found one issue:

When using Android Auto/Apple Carplay, is the speak button on the steering wheel supposed to open Siri/Google Assistant? It just launches the MIB voice control.

Nickmk7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
mk7 TDI SEL M/T
Did a MIB1->MIB2.5 conversion about a month ago, and found one issue:

When using Android Auto/Apple Carplay, is the speak button on the steering wheel supposed to open Siri/Google Assistant? It just launches the MIB voice control.
I think you have to hold it? I had a different issue, my "App" button on the screen never worked.

bilaba70

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello, I have a Golf 7 Discovery Pro (2013). I found someone selling his MIB 2 with part number 3Q0035846B. Says it was on his VW (2018).

Would this upgrade/retrofit work on my Golf? Thanks

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@Haulien That would be correct, long press for Google Assistant/Siri. @Nickmk7 the function of the app button depends on the combination of MIB/software and the screen. There are units whose available software doesn't support the button, as there were not always screens available with the button. Seems you have (or had) one of the non-working combinations.

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
It's been a long journey but I'm almost done my MIB2 retrofit on my Canadian NAR 2015 GTI Autobahn. Either opportune timing, or just plain luck (ebay seller sold it to someone in WA, USA who sold his GTI before being able to install it and got us in touch, thanks @rrador I believe), I had a chance to get a Hacked 3G0 035 047 head unit to stick to NAR parts for radio compatibility and Discover pro for future AID install (maps on dash and center console).
Been reading through this monster thread and wanted to say thanks for posting this (among others in here with incredible advice), I know it was a while ago but it helped me with looking for parts. I also have a 2015 Canadian Autobahn but no fender audio, just whatever the default sound system was. How do I know what amplifier I have (if at all) to make sure the MIB unit is compatible? Is the 3G0 035 047 your recommendation for our region? I've also seen 3Q0 035 876B as another option as well. Thanks in advance.

Just to add, you mentioned you managed to maintain an accessory mode and forgive me if I'm reading it wrong, but what part of your troubleshooting helped you solve it?

Last edited:

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Yes it can. Actually, most 3Q0035880B’s on car-part are actually 3Q0035876’s. LKQ sent me the wrong unit 3 times and I finally found someone to actually check the pn before purchasing. It was an 876 but they brought the price down to match the older radio.
Now I’m so close to finally being able to shut the car off and still listen to the radio!
Is the 876 recommended to be able to keep the radio/microphone for Bluetooth on after shutting down the car?