GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

xzer

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello thanks to all and of course simaservis1108 all is working as it should. Mib1 to Mib2 Retro. Completed. I’m enjoying CarPlay as well. Everything is much much much better. Except!! That damn reverse camera look like crap. It was better on the 6.5 screen. Hummm….

racerboy999

Car(s)
2015 GTI SE DSG (US)
Hi folks, I’ve been reading up on here and I’ve been getting the itch to retrofit my NA 2015 GTI DSG SE with MIB1. (Backup cam, Fender, no nav; lighting package; ) I have an OBDeleven. The primary goal is to get CarPlay & make sure all standard VW options screens are accessible. I've been spending ~3hrs/day in my car over the past year and am hoping to improve my quality of life in the vehicle.

I'm trying weigh the cost vs effort with the DIY vs Kit route.
  1. DIY route. Buy my own parts (presumably used MIB2/6.5" or 8" display from parted out vehicles). Install. Find a VDS cable/rental provider; Reach out one of the recommended coders. I've included my cost breakdown below.
    • Pros: Most cost effective option - can easily save $1000-$1300 vs a kit depending on your price shopping skills.
    • Cons: a fair amount of leg work and planning is needed to get all parts and tools, then coordination with service providers. Some level of risk, as there likely limited or no warranty support on parts.
  2. EuroZoneTuning Kit - VW MK7 Discover Pro MIB1/MIB2 to Discover Pro Retrofit Kit- includes MIB2, 8" standard display, black glossy bezel + radio removal tools. $1800+. 2015 MIB1 owners must buy the $140 Carplay/USB connector (the OEM usb/aux retrofit for the MDI connector or possible USB port if you were fortunate to have one).
    • Pros: Gets you everything all at once from 1 vendor. No additional coordination OEM warranty appears to apply on parts - 6+ months depending on the part. Official support from EZT.
    • Cons: ~$1300 more in additional cost vs DIY approach
  3. Ebay/Jettaboy_GTX (new, added 6/7/22) - Offers a similar package to the EZT kit with: 8" display, bezel, USB/harness; everything will be precoded/unlocked and configured for you before he ships it. He'll set up SiriusXM & HD Radio for NAR. Costs ~$1100 USD.
    • Pros: Gets you almost everything from 1 vendor. (the only thing he's missing is ~$10 of VW radio removal tools). Somewhere in-between #1 and #2. Jettaboy has a reputable ebay store and you get eBay purchase protection.
    • Cons: unknown warranty support.
One possible additional fee is whether you hire a car stereo installer to avoid the personal cuts/nicks/frustration of routing wires in tight places. Just as reference, BestBuy charges $100 to install a touchscreen display model - so figure somewhere in the neighborhood of $75-150 would probably be a good ball park if you also need the USB module installed with an indy.

Here's what I currently have on my budget list for the DIY approach in the US (as of June 2022). The information in this thread spans several years, so please correct me if any of my estimates are grossly off:
  • $150 mib2 brain (local) - 3Q0035844B - options from 2018 Golf, 2018 Golf-GTI, others from Tiguan, Atlas, Jetta, Jetta GLI.
  • $150 6.5” display (local) - 5G6035868 - options from 2018-2019 Golf GTI, others pulled from Tiguan or Atlas
    OR There are also lots of 8" displays - 5G6919605C available for ~$200 used on eBay; even brand new never used units for ~$400.
  • $50 bezel to fit 6.5” or 8" display (possible local or AliExpress) - (not sure if bezel is needed if I opt for 6.5")
  • $70 usb/aux retrofit (AliExpress)
  • $30 - rental of VAS 5054 cable & radio removal tools for remote coding (assuming the folks that used to post here and VWVortex are available)
So estimate $400-500 range for all the parts. (I figure good bargain hunter could save perhaps a few hundred on parts vs my estimates)

I haven't seen coding fees posted here, out of respect for the folks providing this service - but from what I gather most of the folks charge based on a general rate + the cost to get specific licenses activated. Or not. It's not entirely clear to me if the existing licenses that apply to your VIN are applied transferred to the replacement units, or if the coder also needs to purchase new licenses then apply them.
I'm going to assume costs of $200-500 USD for coding, with ~30-60 min to complete all activities.

So I'd expect to spend in the $700-1000 range USD on the DIY Upgrade. Is my math consistent with other folks' experiences?

A few additional questions on the DIY approach:
  1. For parts, is there any advantage if the MIB2 and display come from the same model/specs (in my case a GTI) vs another model? Does it matter whether the units are made for US vs other markets?
  2. Do both the MIB2 and the display each have separate CPs?
  3. Are there any US/North America-based coders that can do the work in person - or is this such a niche skill/access service that this is the only way?
  4. What help (if any) can we get from VW dealer service shops? Could someone potentially buy a brand new MIB2 or Display from VW and they'll cover some or all of the coding? (or is this sort of retrofit work outside of their authorized work?)

Last edited:

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
Hi folks, I’ve been reading up on here and I’ve been getting the itch to retrofit my NA 2015 GTI DSG SE with MIB1. (Backup cam, Fender, no nav; lighting package; ) I have an OBDeleven. The primary goal is to get CarPlay & make sure all standard VW options screens are accessible. I've been spending ~3hrs/day in my car over the past year and am hoping to improve my quality of life in the vehicle.

1. DIY route. Buy my own parts (presumably used MIB2/6.5" or 8" display from parted out vehicles). Install. Find a VDS cable/rental provider ; Reach out one of the recommended coders. I've included my cost breakdown below.
    • Pros: Most cost effective option - can easily save $1000-$1300 vs a kit depending on your price shopping skills.
    • Cons: a fair amount of leg work and planning is needed to get all parts and tools, then coordination with service providers. Some level of risk, as there likely limited or no warranty support on parts.
  2. EuroZoneTuning Kit - VW MK7 Discover Pro MIB1/MIB2 to Discover Pro Retrofit Kit- includes 8" standard display + radio removal tools. $1800+. 2015 MIB1 owners must buy the $140 Carplay/USB connector (the OEM usb/aux retrofit for the MDI connector or possible USB port if you were fortunate to have one). TInstall. Activate a few things using my OBDeleven.
    • Pros: Gets you everything all at once from 1 vendor. No additional coordination OEM warranty appears to apply on parts - 6+ months depending on the part. Official support from EZT.
    • Cons: ~$1000+ in additional cost vs DIY approach.
One possible additional fee is whether you hire a car stereo installer to avoid the personal cuts/nicks/frustration of routing wires in tight places. Just as reference, BestBuy charges $100 to install a touchscreen display model - so figure somewhere in the neighborhood of $75-150 would probably be a good ball park if you also need the USB module installed with an indy.

Here's what I currently have on my budget list for the DIY approach in the US (as of June 2022). The information in this thread spans several years, so please correct me if any of my estimates are grossly off:
  • $150 mib2 brain (local) - 3Q0035844B - options from 2018 Golf, 2018 Golf-GTI, others from Tiguan, Atlas, Jetta, Jetta GLI.
  • $150 6.5” display (local) - 5G6035868 - options from 2018-2019 Golf GTI, others pulled from Tiguan or Atlas
    OR There are also lots of 8" displays - 5G6919605C available for ~$200 used on eBay; even brand new never used units for ~$400.
  • $50 bezel to fit 6.5” or 8" display (possible local or AliExpress) - (not sure if bezel is needed if I opt for 6.5")
  • $30 - rental of VAS 5054 cable & radio removal tools for remote coding (assuming the folks that used to post here and VWVortex are available)
So estimate $400-500 range for all the parts. (I figure good bargain hunter could save perhaps a few hundred on parts vs my estimates)

I haven't seen coding fees posted here, out of respect for the folks providing this service - but from what I gather most of the folks charge based on a general rate + the cost to get specific licenses activated. Or not. It's not entirely clear to me if the existing licenses that apply to your VIN are applied transferred to the replacement units, or if the coder also needs to purchase new licenses then apply them.
I'm going to assume costs of $300-500 USD for coding, with ~30-60 min to complete all activities.

So I'd expect to spend in the $700-1000 range USD on the DIY Upgrade. Is my math consistent with other folks' experiences?

1. For parts, is there any advantage if the MIB2 and display come from the same model/specs (in my case a GTI) vs another model? Does it matter whether the units are made for US vs other markets?
  3. Are there any US/North America-based coders that can do the work in person - or is this such a niche skill/access service that this is the only way?
  4. What help (if any) can we get from VW dealer service shops? Could someone potentially buy a brand new MIB2 or Display from VW and they'll cover some or all of the coding? (or is this sort of retrofit work outside of their authorized work?)

I sourced all parts from eBay and car-part.com for less than $300, below is the list of hardware I bought:

3Q0035844A (head unit MIB2) from car-part.com / $110
3G0919605H (6.5 in screen) from eBay / $90
5G0035222E (usb wiring and usb/aux port) from eBay $90

I just put everything in and need to get adapter and simaservies to do his magic. Hardware install is not that bad.

Last edited:

MattRabbit

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf TDI

1. DIY route. Buy my own parts (presumably used MIB2/6.5" or 8" display from parted out vehicles). Install. Find a VDS cable/rental provider ; Reach out one of the recommended coders. I've included my cost breakdown below.
  2. EuroZoneTuning Kit - VW MK7 Discover Pro MIB1/MIB2 to Discover Pro Retrofit Kit- includes 8" standard display + radio removal tools. $1800+. 2015 MIB1 owners must buy the $140 Carplay/USB connector (the OEM usb/aux retrofit for the MDI connector or possible USB port if you were fortunate to have one). TInstall. Activate a few things using my OBDeleven.
    • Cons: ~$1000+ in additional cost vs DIY approach.

I'm going to assume costs of $300-500 USD for coding, with ~30-60 min to complete all activities.

I spent:
6.5" Screen: $100 from a forum member
Head unit from 2017 GTI: $125 from ebay
USB cable from AliExpress: $50
VAS rental from a local forum member: $30
Had it coded by @simaservis1108 for a very reasonable price.

Install was easy except for routing the USB cable, but that can be fished through without too much effort.

6.5" screen fits the stock bezel. There is no need for a new one if you go this route.

BTW, I have a 2015 Golf TDI SE w/Fender, no nav.

I do have a nav screen that I would let go fairly reasonably. It works with non-nav systems, the nav button just doesn't have any function.

Good luck with the install! It changes the whole car in an extremely positive way.

racerboy999

Car(s)
2015 GTI SE DSG (US)
I did my retrofit last week, everything was relatively easy. I went with an unlocked Mib2, everything is working fine except for the fact they I lost Hd radio for some really. Anybody know if this can activated?
Based on my understanding, North America Region MIB2 brains support Sirius XM and HD Radio, and units sourced from other parts of the world may not have specific hardware to support. I'm not sure if its a matter of a license being unlocked.

Here's an example from a unit of eBay:
The label on this one shows sxm and HD Radio.

1654897666314.png

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
Thanks to @simaservis1108 for another flawless MIB2 install and @xabhax for the tool rental.
Some extra tips for folks looking to complete the process, make sure your laptop has SD card slot and you have an extra SD card in case one doesn’t work.
Have your old MIB1 unit handy as you may have to plug it in first before proceeding with the MIB2 brain.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI

luisguilherme

Car(s)
Golf GTI 2017
If it has a connection on the back for a fiber optic cable it does.
Thanks for the reply friend. Yes, it has an optical input. I'm in doubt if I change this MIB2 for a HARMAN unit, can you tell me if the sound quality of HARMAN is superior to PREH?

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Thanks for the reply friend. Yes, it has an optical input. I'm in doubt if I change this MIB2 for a HARMAN unit, can you tell me if the sound quality of HARMAN is superior to PREH?
That I cannot. I've only had delphi units. I can tell unit getting dynaudio parameters loaded is a must for sound quality. The difference is noticeable.

luisguilherme

Car(s)
Golf GTI 2017
That I cannot. I've only had delphi units. I can tell unit getting dynaudio parameters loaded is a must for sound quality. The difference is noticeable.
Thank you for your help. I have almost all of the dynaudio, missing the pillar covers and tweeters.
Aliexpress is not recommended.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Thank you for your help. I have almost all of the dynaudio, missing the pillar covers and tweeters.
Aliexpress is not recommended.
Ya aliexpress is a strange animal. is great for somethings, and others its horrible.

brownnugen

Car(s)
2015 GSW TDI
I spent:
6.5" Screen: $100 from a forum member
Head unit from 2017 GTI: $125 from ebay
USB cable from AliExpress: $50
VAS rental from a local forum member: $30
Had it coded by @simaservis1108 for a very reasonable price.

Install was easy except for routing the USB cable, but that can be fished through without too much effort.

6.5" screen fits the stock bezel. There is no need for a new one if you go this route.

BTW, I have a 2015 Golf TDI SE w/Fender, no nav.

I do have a nav screen that I would let go fairly reasonably. It works with non-nav systems, the nav button just doesn't have any function.

Good luck with the install! It changes the whole car in an extremely positive wa

Are there any compatibility issues if sourcing the screen and the head unit from multiple sources versus the same vehicle? Where are you getting the wiring harness from?

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Are there any compatibility issues if sourcing the screen and the head unit from multiple sources versus the same vehicle? Where are you getting the wiring harness from?
No, as long as they are both MIB2. They should work. The screen I have is from a tiguan, the brain is from a Golf r