GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

arko

Car(s)
Golf 7 GTI
Hello everyone.
I have Golf 7 GTI and I want to upgrade my MIB 1 to MIB 2 to have an Apple Carplay. I bought unlocked MIB2 infotainment unit and the display, but now I am in doubt because my old unit has more wires than new.
I have a Fender system audio and old unit has following code: 5G0 035 876
The new unit is: 3Q0 035 819B.
Is my new unit compatible with my system?

Attachments

• 1647502896977.png
    1647502896977.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 206

Justin871

Car(s)
2015 Golf SW TDI
Hello everyone.
I have Golf 7 GTI and I want to upgrade my MIB 1 to MIB 2 to have an Apple Carplay. I bought unlocked MIB2 infotainment unit and the display, but now I am in doubt because my old unit has more wires than new.
I believe the Fender uses a fiber optic? cable, you will need a plug for that

Justin871

Car(s)
2015 Golf SW TDI
Hello all! I've been lurking on this thread for a few months, and finally decided to go for it. I purchased all of the same part numbers listed here for my 2015 SE minus the VAS 5054A. I went with OBDEleven instead.

Hardware:
I think I had all of the old hardware out and new hardware installed in an hour or two. Routing the cable was not as difficult as I thought it would be. I found it easiest to run the cable from the glovebox like others have mentioned in this thread.

Software:
I decided to DIY install the patch to remove CP and enable all of the required FeC based on some info in another forum. After a few hours of troubleshooting everything seems to be working as expected! I used OBDEleven to do the long coding for the Fender amp, enabling charisma, and other tweaks to match my old unit. The long coding was actually the most time consuming part of the process because I didn't take a backup at the start. I ended up plugging in the old MIB1 unit to make a backup to compare with the config on my MIB2 which finally got audio working. If you have a Fender amp, make sure to read the guide in this thread about updating Module 47 byte 0 to 0x12 (Probably you have 0x22) before you remove your MIB1 unit. Once that is done you can swap the unit and continue long coding on 5F. I had to make a number of changes to 5F including byte 19 enable MOST, disable all channels on byte 4, and update byte 11 to Sound_system_external_MOST.

Impressions:
To echo everyone else, I love it! The system is so much more responsive. The backup camera is actually usable on an 8" screen. Carplay/Android Auto! What more do you need to know?

Thank you!
Thank you to @George Ab for starting/maintaining this thread and so many others for contributing all of the helpful information! I probably spent as much time digging through this thread gathering info as I did actually doing the install. I can't say thanks enough for all of the helpful posts.

Note:
I have not had a good experience with VW Parts Vortex. The trim piece had a broken vent tab on arrival, and it has been a multiple month process to get a replacement. The only way I can get any information is to call weekly to remind them. I would recommend a different vendor for the trim piece.
You got a Delphi unit I suppose? I am strongly considering ordering the parts myself. Was it easy to source the patch files using the OP post or via google in your opinion? Edit: I went ahead and placed order for the USB harness (aliexpress) and the D Link adapter (Rev B1) so when I see a good price for a headunit @ ebay I will order that, then I will go with the 6.5 display. I am not sure if it matters which headunit I choose, 3Q0035844 or the 844A. I heard the A model is newer and faster.

Last edited:

Chantacular

Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
You got a Delphi unit I suppose? I am strongly considering ordering the parts myself. Was it easy to source the patch files using the OP post or via google in your opinion? Edit: I went ahead and placed order for the USB harness (aliexpress) and the D Link adapter (Rev B1) so when I see a good price for a headunit @ ebay I will order that, then I will go with the 6.5 display. I am not sure if it matters which headunit I choose, 3Q0035844 or the 844A. I heard the A model is newer and faster.
Yes I ended up getting a Delphi STD Plus unit. I had to do a firmware update to get to a version that had telnet and an available patch. I couldn't find patched files for the NAR STD Plus variant, but the EU SWaP and delphibin seem to work fine so far. I started in this thread which includes some helpful links and info. Thanks to @ashok9949 for translating that and providing all of the helpful links.

Ultimately, I ended up trusting Google Translate and spent hours digging through what appears to be the original thread with instructions on how to patch.

Justin871

Car(s)
2015 Golf SW TDI
Yes I ended up getting a Delphi STD Plus unit. I had to do a firmware update to get to a version that had telnet and an available patch. I couldn't find patched files for the NAR STD Plus variant, but the EU SWaP and delphibin seem to work fine so far. I started in this thread which includes some helpful links and info. Thanks to @ashok9949 for translating that and providing all of the helpful links.

Ultimately, I ended up trusting Google Translate and spent hours digging through what appears to be the original thread with instructions on how to patch.
Awesome! I made an account over there and will read up on the instructions. Forgive me, but what does the STD Plus designation mean?
Could it be the A part number means Plus? I see an extra connector on the back there, is that for the fiber connection (MOST?) fender. I just have the standard audio setup (no fender). Could be possible the Non-A P/N has a larger variety of patches available. It was smart of you to do a region change, enabling you to use EU patches. As long as the FM works fine, GPS compass works, I do not see any downside. Nice work and thanks for the pointers.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Hello everyone.
Justin871 is right. The new one you got isnt going to work. No fiber optic connection on the back.

Chantacular

Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
Awesome! I made an account over there and will read up on the instructions. Forgive me, but what does the STD Plus designation mean?
Could it be the A part number means Plus? I see an extra connector on the back there, is that for the fiber connection (MOST?) fender. I just have the standard audio setup (no fender). Could be possible the Non-A P/N has a larger variety of patches available. It was smart of you to do a region change, enabling you to use EU patches. As long as the FM works fine, GPS compass works, I do not see any downside. Nice work and thanks for the pointers.
I'm not sure what all of the differences are between the STD and STD Plus. I have Fender Audio and the MIB1 unit I pulled out of my car was also STD Plus, so that might be it.

CorporateASH

I’ve tried reaching out to Jack a number of times over the years and can’t seem to get a consistent conversation going. Given everything that’s happening in that part of the world, I definitely don’t blame him right now for being unavailable. I started this project a couple of years ago before the world exploded and now I’m finally ready to pull the trigger.

I’ve got all the parts, what I’m missing is the person. Is there anyone else that does what Jack can do that someone might be able to point me toward?

Thanks!

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
I’ve tried reaching out to Jack a number of times over the years and can’t seem to get a consistent conversation going. Given everything that’s happening in that part of the world, I definitely don’t blame him right now for being unavailable. I started this project a couple of years ago before the world exploded and now I’m finally ready to pull the trigger.

I’ve got all the parts, what I’m missing is the person. Is there anyone else that does what Jack can do that someone might be able to point me toward?

Thanks!
@simaservis1108 or @doctor

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
Hi there,

I've successfully retrofit MIB2 into my S3, but having an issue with the drive select menu. After enabling the charisma settings as per below posts it showed up in the Car menu but I'm not able to get in, just says it's not available. Any ideas?

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...conversion-part-1.343701/page-44#post-7028031
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...conversion-part-1.343701/page-44#post-7028032
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...conversion-part-1.343701/page-44#post-7028038

IMG_1924.jpg