GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Diggs24 Build Thread - "Tapioca XL"

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
But before we do that, we should ensure that we don't run out of fuel. One gear is fine but multiple gears? Unsure. So, I buy Precision Raceworks Stage 3 Walbro 450 LPFP and install it.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/precison-raceworks-stage-3-lpfp-diy-tips.356736/

No issues. Get my Dragy, some new Michelin AS3+ tires and head out in the middle of the night.

Didn't even think about the overpass I went under and it lost track of me and screwed me over 60-90 (see upthread some real times). Also, the road is nice and almost impossible to be surprised by any traffic or cops but not the best for slope. Oh well.

Log of the run. yay, timing!

https://datazap.me/u/diggs24/log-1534068579?log=0&data=1-18

power! beats the pants off that dyno log.

https://datazap.me/u/diggs24/log-1534068579?log=0&data=1-25

Wanna hear some exhaust sounds? No? Too bad.

Cold start

Warm start

Ran out of power mods to do so time for some more cosmetic stuff. MOAR BADGESKINS. Is there a theme going on here?

Mid-install. The G is not on yet.

Last edited:

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Start feeling a lot of engine movement. Also, tried to launch it once. LOL. Pretty sure the wheelhop set off a small quake in China. Time for another mod. Why not a dogbone. Insert? nah. We go full replacement. The reverseoutofthegarage massage is fabulous. Sitting in traffic with AC on is like being out at sea. Highway expansion joints? YEP, FEEL ALL OF THEM. It's awesome. fkn racekar.

Decided to try out BMS v2 tips. Got these used from a forum member. I like how they stick out less than the V1s but like the look of the V1 more. Can't keep them glossy though. always dirty.

Winter arrives. Tune is not looking good. Why so many corrections? Sub 4k looks like shit. Is it poor quality ethanol? Lots of questions, no answers. Let's scope the cylinders.

Cyl2, always the grumpiest even way back on JB4.

Cyl3 for comparison

hmmm, all looks fine to me. Stumped. Oh well, I drive the Saab most days anyways to keep the salt off it. Here's my baby. 2003 Saab 9-3SS. Bought it brand new. Was a nice car until it got caught in a hailstorm at work. That was a sad day. Had just taken it off full coverage the year before. Hail damage would have totalled it anyways as these cars have no value. Too bad, they are pretty good cars. Not half bad loookin, don't see them everywhere. Can even get one with XWD and a 2.8T V6 motor pretty cheap. If I had the space I'd buy another.

All right, enough drooling y'all, back to the GTI.

Last edited:

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
AS3s? Great tires. Not cutting it in the wheelspin department though. I like the stock look and I don't want to swap tires every year. Off to find 2 Austins. Thanks to Will_s for selling me his, they are curbed though. I am undeterred.

Not bad. I get cocky. Should have quit there and not tried to remove the face scratches too.

Whoops. Oh well, these aren't for show they're for go. Nitto NT-05s get installed.

Damn, these are stiff. And they whir whir whir all the way down the highway. Traction is improved though.

Been about 10k miles since the turbo went in. I check the turbo for shaft play. All good. Think a blind man balanced it though.

Last edited:

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Time for some "power" mods again. What's left? I like the stock look and don't think the stock airbox is a restriction. What can we add? Why not a TIP and charge pipe? Ok, on goes Unitronic TIP. It has a poor cast and needs some grinding. eh, whatever.

EQT chargepipe goes in.

Any change? Makes some more noises I guess.

35k arrives. Decide to do DSG fluid change. Almost as easy as changing oil, just slower.

Hear lots of stories of hybrid turbo wastegate arms bending. Looks fine. Tapioca got a nice patina going on now.

I start to smell burning a lot at WOT. Decide it might not be bad to upgrade to the BL PCV revision. Doesn't help. Actually see puffs of black smoke if I take an on-ramp at speed. Not sure if the original did that. I leave it in.

Last edited:

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
How else can we go faster without sacrificing creature comforts? Lose some weight. The Golf R doesn't even come with a spare! But Fender sounds nice..... what to do. Bye bye Fender sub and spare, hello low profile box and 12" RF sub. Think I lost about 20 lbs in the swap. Bass hits harder, it's a win-win.

Battery is now 4 years old. It's not cranking like it used to and damn this thing is heavy too. Let's swap in a lighter battery. Saved 31 lbs; 30 from the battery, 1 from my wallet.

Another winter and more timing issues. WHY? So, I decide to put my brain to use. I mostly logged in 4th for tuning. We did do some low end timing reductions but not nearly enough. I pour over logs of my car and tons of other cars. Low end timing needs to come down. Way down. So I gut it. Logs look much better. I hardly notice any loss in low end power.

But what about in the mid range and top end? hmmmm, when did we tune this car? In spring and summer. What happens in fall/winter? Air gets cold and more dense; denser air requires more fuel; the injectors can't keep up. Injector pulsewidth is sky high. Corrections occur, bad corrections. Poor HPFP control probably leads to poor atomization too. I could dial back boost or ethanol, but I don't dial back anything. It's time to solve the fueling issue. Off to Precision Raceworks again to get MPI. Yeah, boiiiiiiii.

How them valves looking? Not bad for 40k. Let the MPI clean them.

Allright, now we got fuel. OK, WTF ARE THESE AWFUL CORRECTIONS. Turns out MPI and Autotech HPFP don't play nice together. HPFP rail pressure is sky high.

https://datazap.me/u/diggs24/autotech-hpfp-mpi-no-bueno-fuel-rail-pressure?log=0&data=1-12

Off it comes to go back to stock. Hmmm, this thing is gummed up. I wonder if that is what I was smelling. Not sure what this sticky goo is.

Last edited:

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Time for some more cosmetic mods. Not more badgeskins Diggs! YUP! The red and black theme must continue.

Get some new DSG paddles.

and one brakes first time out, lol (seller replaced, no questions). Couldn't handle my man-fingers I guess.

And a spark plug check since the turbo swap. Look great. Love the Rutheniums. They get regapped and go back in.

Last edited:

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
So did the MPI fix the low engine speed corrections after the removal of the HPFP? Or are we waiting until next winter to find out?